Do You Have A Different "Voice" For Each Of Your Cats??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I mean by that, is do you talk to your cats in a different tone of voice?
Such as, when I'm 'talking' to Geronimo, I use a 'baby' tone of voice - probably b/c he's such a big baby! (although most people wouldn't know it, b/c he always puts on such a show! But he has that, "I hate you - don't leave me!" attitude. I can't even use the bathroom w/o him having a fit!
).

Do any of you talk differently towards your babies?

KittKatt

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I talk to Jerry in more of a high pitched, baby voice, because he has such a high pitched meow and he can be such a whiner (especially when he wants water poured on him)! I talk to Nimbus in my normal voice

-Kristen

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely do! With Pearl, I whisper and croon, because she's so tender and kittenish. But with Clyde, I talk to him almost... romantically, y'know? Because he's clearly the one in charge in our relationship, and I am but his willing love slave...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I think I talk to both of my cats in the same voice. However it does vary how I talk to them from sistuation to sistuation depending on what we are chatting about or what they have been up to.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well ... since I only have one cat .... I just talk to him in my normal voice. But I'll bet if someone didn't know I was talking to Quill they would most likely think I was going nuts

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

What I mean by that, is do you talk to your cats in a different tone of voice?
Such as, when I'm 'talking' to Geronimo, I use a 'baby' tone of voice - probably b/c he's such a big baby! (although most people wouldn't know it, b/c he always puts on such a show! But he has that, "I hate you - don't leave me!" attitude. I can't even use the bathroom w/o him having a fit!
).

Do any of you talk differently towards your babies?

KittKatt
That line about the bathroom really made me laugh, that is Petunia to a tee. She stands outside the bathroom door whining and crying and then proceeds to scratch at the door and carpet, poor baby. Immediately upon coming out I pick her up and talk to her in a special voice that I only use with her and let her know that Im still alive and have not left her(during these special times I also refer to her as Wootie, she loves it!!
)

Most times with Barkley Im talking in a more serious tone because he's always getting into some kind of mischief and I have to show him that I mean business when I tell him NO!!! Other times he's my special, lovely little cotton ball and he gets the softer motherly tone from me, he knows the difference!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one baby! And she gets the baby voice. . . lol unless she is being a brat, and then she gets the mommy is angry voice, and usually stops and runs! lol And I also never call her her real name. it is usually key key or pretty girl. And i never have to call her because she is always there! lol

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a great thread!
I HAVE to use the SAME voice for both cats, otherwise one cat will think I favor the other cat and vice versa. If I use a different tone one will look at me hurt because that one will think I favor the other one.

Sometime I speak to them using my ADULT TONE, sometimes BABY TONE, sometimes WORRIED TONE, sometimes LOVE TONE, I could go on!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the same tone for both my cats.. My girls are big babies.. I sometimes find myself baby talking more with Chessy,, because she's such a cuddle bug,, but Angel coming out more now,, so I've been giving her lots more loving and baby talk too...

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kind of use a stupid-baby-talk / dumb-kitty voice for Simon because he's such a dummy. Or else I'm usually using a stern you-are-in-trouble voice because he's a hooligan.

With Lyra... she normally gets a high-pitched, crooning voice from me because she's still a little nervous and needs reassurance.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness I was just wondering if my husband was the only person who spoke to different cats in different voices!

I can tell which cat he is talking to by the voice which he uses!

For Roxy he uses a higher pitched voice - maybe because she is smaller and younger?

For Villy he uses a more grown up voice!

I'm not sure what I do, I'll ask DH to tell me!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pretty much use the same voice. When I record the cats doing something and I hear my voice, talking to them, I find it hard to believe that my kitties would ever want to be around me again

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I pretty much use the same voice. When I record the cats doing something and I hear my voice, talking to them, I find it hard to believe that my kitties would ever want to be around me again
Something I would say!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarkleysJester

That line about the bathroom really made me laugh, that is Petunia to a tee. She stands outside the bathroom door whining and crying and then proceeds to scratch at the door and carpet, poor baby. Immediately upon coming out I pick her up and talk to her in a special voice that I only use with her and let her know that Im still alive and have not left her(during these special times I also refer to her as Wootie, she loves it!!
OMG! LMAO!!
I have to "reassure" Geronimo too, and convince him that I didn't get flushed down the toilet or rinsed down the drain everytime I come out of the bathroom!
That's when I especially use the "voice", so he knows I'm not "abandoning" him! (what can I say - he has "issues"
). Then I refer to him as my little Fruity Hootie Patootie (he just LOVES that!). His nickname is Hooters or Hooties, b/c he's such a hoot! But the nickname become longer and more mushy when I have to reassure him.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But with Clyde, I talk to him almost... romantically, y'know? Because he's clearly the one in charge in our relationship, and I am but his willing love slave...
That's how I talk to Maverick - kinda romatically! I'm HIS little "love slave!"
And he's the "lover-boy" of the bunch - always wanting to be held & cuddled. He can't get enough!
I call him my little Lover-boy or Honey-bun when I'm cuddling w/ him.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

oh my goodness I was just wondering if my husband was the only person who spoke to different cats in different voices!
I thought I might be the only one who did this, too!
That's why I had to post the question: to reassure myself that I'm not the ONLY one who's "nuts"!

My b/f doesn't use a different voice for each of the cats, but he does call them "son" or " Baby" when he's talking to them.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I can relate to this!
I HATE hearing the sound of my own voice! I don't even like to be the one who leaves the recorded announcement on the answering machine, b/c I think I sound so weird!
Thankfully, I don't have to call home very much to hear the sound of my own voice!

I don't sing too much around my cats, either, b/c they have a tendency to run and hide when I do.
I know I'm no Judy Garland, but I didn't think I was THAT bad!

~KK~