TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Purina Pro Plan Dry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purina Pro Plan Dry

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I just got a coupon in the mail for 5dollars off a bag so I was wondering the nutritional value in comparison to what I'm feeding now, which is Nutro.

Thanks!!!
post #2 of 13
Pro plan usually has Corn, wheat , by products and some soy ...

% of protein is higher but the meat protein is lower

If you are using max some are close to it with no by products
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
In that price frame?

I'm trying to get the kittens on a quality dry that is reasonable in price because I know that who is getting them is not going to be giving them wet food as much as I sing the praises of it.

I'm giving my little brother one kitten, and my mother raised my other cat to be obese by always feeding the lowest quality dry AND she was declawed.

So I'm only giving him the cat (he's 13 so old enough to understand all of this) under the stipulations that the cat is NOT to be declawed and is fed whatever I say to feed him.

So far, the mom has been on Nutro Max Complete Care Kitten since before she was pregnant (plus wet of course)....and I want to get the babies eating something of good quality but that I can expect the new owners to use because they're not too pricey.

Nutro is pricey for us, we're really poor but I force DH to get it.

So what do you think?
post #4 of 13
I don't like ProPlan. I know it can make a lot of cats have a pretty dry coat. IMO Nutro is better anyway.
post #5 of 13
pro plan is priced about what Natural choice or some RC are... Max is one of the lowest $$ ... If you need lower look at Purina naturals ... it has wheat corn and soy but no by products... Have you signed up at the nutro site they send you 20 in coupons ( put you buy at a feed store) and feed stores are often cheaper than big box
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
I pay 17.99 a bag (and NOT a big one) for my Nutro , which to me is a lot of money.

I did sign up at the site but haven't received anything, although I'm not sure that would be applicable in my area.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMarie View Post
I pay 17.99 a bag (and NOT a big one) for my Nutro , which to me is a lot of money.

I did sign up at the site but haven't received anything, although I'm not sure that would be applicable in my area.
Wow ... IF you use Max that is $$$ ...

It is good in the US and Canada
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I don't like ProPlan. I know it can make a lot of cats have a pretty dry coat. IMO Nutro is better anyway.

I couldn't find the little icon that 'vomits'! Nutro is better.
post #9 of 13
I had a friend who fed Pro Plan dry food (Hairball and Chicken & Rice, I think she eventually switched to Indoor when they came out with that). Her cats had drier coats than I would personally like, but she seemed happy with the results. The cats were energetic and bright eyed.

I'm surprised Nutro is so expensive where you are. Here Nutro Max 20 lb bags go on sale for $20 regularly.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm in Massachusetts....highest cost of living in the country...it sucks.

I try to get things in bulk on sale though!!!!
post #11 of 13
Felidae is cheaper than Pro Plan around me and i find it to be a superior food. If you have that option, look into it. I'm not a fan of either Pro plan or Nutro myself but I think I'd choose Nutro. I'd also check to see which doesn't have corn and/or gluten ingredients, etc. - if either.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenleebe View Post
Felidae is cheaper than Pro Plan around me and i find it to be a superior food. If you have that option, look into it. I'm not a fan of either Pro plan or Nutro myself but I think I'd choose Nutro. I'd also check to see which doesn't have corn and/or gluten ingredients, etc. - if either.
Nutro uses corn gluten to assist in uti health of the chn meal which normally IS SKY high.Trust me I regularly ask Nutro for a NO gluten cat food ;(.. Pro plan uses both plus in higher levels...

Felidea pricing Varies widely ... but Here it is at least 20% higher than Nutro or Pro plan
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Nutro uses corn gluten to assist in uti health of the chn meal which normally IS SKY high.Trust me I regularly ask Nutro for a NO gluten cat food ;(.. Pro plan uses both plus in higher levels...

Felidea pricing Varies widely ... but Here it is at least 20% higher than Nutro or Pro plan
Scratch that then. I wouldn't go for either if I didn't have to. I haven't read the ingredients one those foods for a long while, so I don't recall as well as I used to. Because I don't feed them, I tend to just stay away from them. I need to read up on them all again.

Felidae pricing does vary widely. I don't understand why.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Purina Pro Plan Dry