If 8oz is 1 cup then 9oz would be?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I am looking online at a lot of bread machine recipes. A lot of the don't seem to give cup measurements for the water. They seem to say oz more than anything. So if 8 oz is 1 cup 9oz should be 1 1/4 right? None of my measuring cups have a 9 oz measurement. They have 4-8-12 and so on but not in between markings.

Any advice on this issue?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An ounce is 1/8 of a cup apparently. So I'd just do a cup and a bit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarah. Yeah some of these recipes sound really good but making some of them sound like a pain to me. Mainly because of the way they measure things. I don't have cups that measure 7/8 and the likes. And I am sure I will mess such a recipe up because I can not measure exactly.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 oz spoon and measure 9 of them etc (usually comes with the set of measuring cups) and a tablespoon is roughly 1/2 oz, so you could do 1 cup, 2 tablespoons

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have a 1 oz spoon and measure 9 of them etc (usually comes with the set of measuring cups) ( a tablespoon is roughly 1/2 oz)
I do have tablespoons (measuring type) so I will have to remember this.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

If you have a metric measuring cup 9oz is 300ml..
Yeah thats very helpful info. I just looked at the other side of my measuring cup and it has metric measurements there. And yep 300ml is listed. Thank You so much.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Ok so I am looking online at a lot of bread machine recipes. A lot of the don't seem to give cup measurements for the water. They seem to say oz more than anything. So if 8 oz is 1 cup 9oz should be 1 1/4 right? None of my measuring cups have a 9 oz measurement. They have 4-8-12 and so on but not in between markings.

Any advice on this issue?
Nope, 9 oz is NOT 1 cup & a quarter because that measurement would actually be 1 cup & 2 ounces.

Just measured a full shot glass...........it's = to 1 full oz. Try it!

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

Just measured a full shot glass...........it's = to 1 full oz. Try it!
Depends on the shot glass -- some are designed to hold 1 1/2 oz (a 'jigger') when full to the top, but look 'full' with one oz.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The water in bread dough is less important than the texture of the dough. My method: Do as the recipe says; then keep kneading and adding flour until the dough is very elastic and doesn't stick to my hand. That makes good bread, and for some reason, the water seems to vary from batch to batch. Lots of variables--the temperature, humidity, flour type, the amount of rising time--affect the texture of bread dough, so it's really just a matter of getting a feel for it.