cats deadly to small dogs?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello

something insane just happened in my house

my friend has a yorkie (shaved) that she brings over and usually my cats just ignore the small dog as he is well mannered and leaves them alone

but something crazy happened today my cat was laying on the cold floor like she always does when she gets hot and the dog just happened to walk by my cat GRABBED onto the dogs side and one of her nails went right threw the dogs skin hooked the dog like a fishing hook it was horrible and the dog screamed

the shocking thing is my cat did not panic or try to get away the cat just sat there in a daze like she caught a fish and was waiting to reel it in or something she was so calm

me and my friiend actually had to UNHOOOK HER claw from the poor dogs side

ive never seeen this happen before things are usually totally fine around here why on earth would my cat do that? My friend now thinks my cat is "evil" and will never bring her dog over again which kinda hurts i hate it when someone looks at one of my cats in disgust but can i blame her?

i tried to convince my friend my cat was just playing but my friend seems to think my cat was trying to seriously hurt the dog

my cat isnt exactly a sweetheart but thats cause she was born in a barn and had to deal with harsh farm living for the first year of her life but ive never seen her do something like this

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd.... maybe it had something to do with the dog being shaved??? Was her ears back or growling when she did it??? I know Limerick liked to play rough with teeth and claws sometimes and does other strange things when he gets bored. hmm that's strange.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if your cat meant to hurt the dog, she would have went after it's face instead of reaching out and grabbing it's side! That's a playful gesture I've seen my girls do plenty of times. I think your friende is overreacting. And the dog was probably more scared than hurt. If your friend is truly a friend, she'll be back, with or without her dog.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I think if your cat meant to hurt the dog, she would have went after it's face instead of reaching out and grabbing it's side! That's a playful gesture I've seen my girls do plenty of times. I think your friende is overreacting. And the dog was probably more scared than hurt. If your friend is truly a friend, she'll be back, with or without her dog.
Petunia will do this sometimes with a friend of mines dog when she is laying down. She also does it to Barkley, I too think she was just playing and probably scared the dog more than injured it. Was there any blood from where the nail went in? Im sure the dog will be fine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really does sound like your cat was just playing, maybe even half heartedly (lazily) since she was just laying there. Had she truly meant to hurt the dog, she would have brought her back feet up.

How badly was the friend's dog hurt? Did the claw go in pretty deep? If she has the take the dog to the vet, it probably would be a good idea to at least offer to pay part of the bill.

Frankly I'm surprised your friend was even able to bring her dog over to visit. Most cats don't like other animals imposing on their territory like that.

It's a good reminder though. We don't always realize that we're living with small 7-15+pound predators that can hurt other animals or even kill them.

I'm very thankful that our neighbors don't let their little long hair chihuahua outside without a leash anymore. My outdoor kitty, Max, tried to attack her one day when she ran over into our yard.... luckily I was there to stop him. The neighbor's little girls were outside, it would have been horrible.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the cat ever done this when the dog was not shaved? If so, the claws probably just went thru the fur and not the skin.

Or if the cat has never seen the dog shaved, it might have just been a reaction to that.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she was probably just playing. Bean does this to my Chihuahua. The dog will walk past and he'll half heartedly bat at his side, or nip at his legs. Thier just playing and they both know the game. Bean's claws have never dug in, but thats becuase I keep them trimmed and the dog has plenty of fur. I would assume that having been shaved is what caused you kittys claw to dig in to the skin. If he had fur it would have just slipped off.

~sootycat~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought a puppy the other day, a Jack Russell Terrier and our cats are terrified of it. It's pretty strange but probably normal behavior.. hopefully! One of our cats, Tiddles hissed at him early this morning and caused the dog to yelp yesterday morning. We are not sure what he did because nobody saw what happened, I think he might have clawed him or just alarmed the dog in some way. There were no marks on the dog anyway.

Our other cat Sooty is the one we don't trust, he seems to claw anybody who gets in his road. I think it is a dominance thing since he was here first, he has not touched the dog yet but he probably will. I don't think that cats are really harmful to little dogs though.. Tiddles used to play with the other dog we had who passed away a few months ago. She was small but bigger than the cats but they got along with her just fine in the end.

I guess they just have to get used to the dog first! The case that you typed in your post sounds like the cat is playing, my cats do that to people! We walk past them and they grab onto your clothes lol. I think it's just a game to them.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

me and my friiend actually had to UNHOOOK HER claw from the poor dogs side

ive never seeen this happen before things are usually totally fine around here why on earth would my cat do that? My friend now thinks my cat is "evil" and will never bring her dog over again which kinda hurts i hate it when someone looks at one of my cats in disgust but can i blame her?
When is the last time you took your cats over to her place? If she's that concerned, she can leave her dog at home. I'm honestly surprised your cats have tolerated it as well as they have.

Your cat probably didn't intend to do anything more than play. Regardless, your friend doesn't *have* to bring her dog over, just like you can manage to leave the house without bringing your cats along. Your friend (and her dog) will most likely be fine. If your friend is that horrified by your cats, perhaps she should start entertaining you at her house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
her dog is like her baby she likes to bring him everywhere with her i dont take my cats anywhere with me they are content to stay home our outside they dont act like a child (well they do sometimeslol ) but her dog is very diff hes like her lil baby

its an annoying situation because i do like her dog also and shes my best friend but something about the flicker in my cats eyes sometimes she gets so wild i think she has the ability to kill the dog if she wanted to

as i said before she had a hard life being raised on a goose farm with multple predators around having to deal with coons and fiesty minks and foxes on a dialy basis (they would come for the birds) I think it loosend a few screws in her head and she is just sometimes so unpredicktable but she is my fave cat and i adore her totally

once one of my friends was giving her attention then my friend stopped petting her my cat threw a tantrun and actually wacked my friend for ignoring her some cat eh? shes calico i think thats what it is

she doesnt mess around with my other cats much cause they just like her have sharp claws and teeth and can fight back she likes to pick on things she knows she can get away with but she adores me and never mistreats me so i guess thats all that matters

the dog did bleed a bit but we unhooked her huge fishing hook of a claw so it didnt rip his skin

do some cats have abnormally sharp claws? i think hers are sharper then most cats cause when she sits on my lap sometimes she hurts me threw my pants just from kneeding but she trys to be extra gentle with me because im such a sissy when it comes to sharp needle like claws lol

i wont ever dare play fight with her like i do with my other cats cause she will get carried away and ill end up getting hurt

even when my sister picked her up she was like damn her nails are so sharp ekkk lol

maybe its because she doesnt wear and tear them down with the scraching post i bought for her

joe poppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am new here and I saw this post and I am posting before introducing myself, so I apologize for that!

But I had to post concerning your cat and his claws! And yes, cats can have sharp as blade claws! My baby was never declawed nor had he ever had his claws filed down, and he sharpes his claws on matts all the time and he has the sharps claws EVER! I pick him up and gently push his claws out ( he does not mind it at all) and look at his claws and they are long, pointy, strong and so sharp! Sometimes, at playing with me, he will claw me and his claws will go through jeans, blankets and anythign else I have b/t my skin and his claws, and it goes through!
And yes, I've used thick garden gloves to play with him and his claws STILL go through!

so yes to your question of sharp claws

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ya could try cutting them. Some cats are fine for it. I have one that hates it and I let her claws get like that sometimes and the others are more or less good. Sometime I give them a treat before then show them the back while doing it and they get another after.

shroomgrl79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that your cat was just expressing that he was comfortable with the dog seeing him again and wanted to play. One of my cats is declawed and the other is not so I have to keep his nails cut to prevent any injury to the defensless one poor baby but I have never had a problem his nail getting stuck anywhere. how long are his nails? maybe you just need to cut them more often then you are right now and that would help. as for your friend tell her that you are keeping them razors cut so they wont be a problem anymore and to give your baby one more chance at having a friend (the dog)it is your kitties domaine. I mean think of them as your children would she keep her child away from yours if they got into a fight and one hit the other. probably not. she will get over it dont worry yourself over anything.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Has the cat ever done this when the dog was not shaved? If so, the claws probably just went thru the fur and not the skin.

Or if the cat has never seen the dog shaved, it might have just been a reaction to that.
With the dog shaved, the cat probably thought it was a rat.