Gifts--what's your method?

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm referring to the gifts we can buy on TCS to send to other users. What makes you give gifts to users? What is your method for picking a gift to send? Do you send more often than you receive?

I mainly give gifts to those with stories that touch me in some way--sad, funny, etc. Or if someone has the same opinion I do on a topic. I usually pick a gift that has some connection with the reason for sending the gift, like a boquet of flowers for an illness, etc. I would like to start sending more random gifts, though, because I like to see people have odd things in their gift area.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I've collected quite a few points, I find that I am looking for reasons to send gifts to people. I'm like you, in that I tend to send gifts for posts that touch me in some way...especially people who have cats who are suffering with renal failure.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to only send gifts for birthdays or to cheer people up (so the sun to brighten up their day and cake / drinks for their birthdays etc)

Like just now
I tend to give my points to people who will spend them better than me

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I send them to people who's posts touch me somehow or I have something in common with. I also like to give them to new members. I still remember how thrilled I was when I received my first gift, so I try to pass that along.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I send gifts for various reasons and sometimes just because. I have also donated points to those who are new and don't have any or not enough to buy themselves something. I definitely buy more than I receive.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've only given a few gifts, but I usually give them to people who have been nice to me or have a similar interest as me. I also try to pick gifts that have a connection to why I'm giving it...or if I just think the gift is really cute (like the little Chinese takeout box!! how adorable is that?!)!

-Kristen

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give gifts to my friends, to new members, to someone that maybe said something funny in a thread, if they are going through a hard time... or just anyone that I see needs more gifts because they barely have any or don't have any- I'll send them one. Usually if I don't have a real reason for sending the gift I just write "just because".

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm torn on giving gifts -- I love to give them, but I always worry that some people may feel it obligates them to reciprocate, so I don't give them as often as I'd like. Which is silly, come to think of it. I should just give 'em and enjoy, shouldn't I?

And when I receive a gift from someone, of course my natural instinct is to send one back -- but then I worry the person may think the gift is given just out of a sense of obligation, and not with feeling.

In the immortal words of Paul Simon, maybe I think too much!

I often wish for gifts that don't exist, and wish I could design some to be added to the system. Hey, maybe that's possible! I should ask Anne!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't given a whole lot. But I give them when someone has said something I agree with or if it seems like their having a hard time. Or if we share something in common. I've given away my points before. Perhaps I'll find that thread and do it again.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it just because and to cheer people up.
How I pick the gift is how I give them the gift of their personality or drinks they like, etc. or compliments of their pets or for them. things like that.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm torn on giving gifts -- I love to give them, but I always worry that some people may feel it obligates them to reciprocate, so I don't give them as often as I'd like. Which is silly, come to think of it. I should just give 'em and enjoy, shouldn't I?

I often wish for gifts that don't exist, and wish I could design some to be added to the system. Hey, maybe that's possible! I should ask Anne!
We had a thread a while back about gifts where we decided to say 'don't send me one back, pay it forward'

As far as the new gifts, we asked a while back but the software doesn't allow it, but the programmer is working on a new version - so maybe in that

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give a gift when a thread touches me in some way or another. Sometimes I give a gift just because - after all, I think those are the funnest ones to give and recieve. When I do send a gift, my main problem is deciding which one to use - they're all so cute!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We had a thread a while back about gifts where we decided to say 'don't send me one back, pay it forward'
An excellent idea! I love the pay-it-forward concept... although I never never never want to see that heartbreaking movie again as long as I live.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to give gifts to people who have a touching story or to cheer someone up. Or sometimes I give them just 'cuz!!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I tend to only send gifts for birthdays or to cheer people up (so the sun to brighten up their day and cake / drinks for their birthdays etc)

Like just now
I tend to give my points to people who will spend them better than me
Here's my problem- I don't have enough to give! I'm a giver at heart, I told someone the other day, "If I were points rich, I would buy a round for the whole site, on me" you know in the movies, they'll say, 'a round of drinks on me' or something like that? Anyway, it's very frustrating to be like that and only have enough to buy 1! The other day I read I know 3 or4 different things
and ....well you know! I am going to join as a paying member, very soon!
That should help! But anyone who wants me to help share their points through sending gifts, I would love to do it! or let me read the thread about
that, just let me know where it is! If I had thousands of points I would definetly be generous. what else are you going to do with them? You can't take them with ya!

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aside from the few reciprocal gifts, my method is to give a gift to someone who's post touches me in one way or another.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give gifts for those who are in pain because of loss of an animal. Or I give it to those that are having a hard time,, or people I've become close to with posting back and forth..

I don't have alot of points.. I'm a softy,, I give them away or buy myself something here and there..

It's like that money in your pocket that burns a hole in it..

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you give a gift can you give one anonymously? Is that what the drop down box is for? Can you donate points anonymously? I guess I am thinking about Christmas!