Does anyone else think it's just STRANGE...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...seeing single shoes lying on the side of the road?

Honestly, I can't tell you how many times I've seen this. Usually they are old sneakers or something, or a thong (flip-flop - not the other kind) but today I saw a black stiletto pump lying on the side of the highway before the tunnel.

Huh? How does this happen? How do you lose ONE shoe? More to the point, how do several people on a weekly basis manage to lose ONE shoe out of the window of a car? What are they doing in there? Lying on their backs and kicking their feet out the window??

You do see things on the side of the road, granted, but single shoes is a common one, and I never stop wondering how they got there

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is soooo funny!!!! I always think the EXACT same thing!! How do you lose one shoe???

If you ever find out-please tell me!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always just assume someone was in a car with another person, grabbed their shoe and tossed it out (remember that game as a child when you and your sibling would hold the other's belonging chanting "You can't have this, you can't have this!" Then threw it?

The ones I find odd is a random pair of sneakers hanging from a tree branch or electrical wire. All I think is "Why would any one tie their sneakers together and through it up there?!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Manhattan, needless to say I have seen just about anything you can imagine on the side of the street/road! As far as the pair of sneakers tied together and hanging from a tree, phone poll, ect., this is a common prank, initiation, game, tag, from either big brother, friends gang marking, common on the coasts, but a bit old school these days!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jsut means, someone had there leg stuck out to far,
and the foot got removed,

or you have serial shoe stealer in your area hehhe

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I always just assume someone was in a car with another person, grabbed their shoe and tossed it out (remember that game as a child when you and your sibling would hold the other's belonging chanting "You can't have this, you can't have this!" Then threw it?
But we never actually threw out the things, we only joked. I guess we were tooooo nice. LOL

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You think like I do.

I ask these random questions and people think *I'm* strange.

Good post to read as my first in the morning.

And yeah, how the heck do you lose ONE shoe!?!
See, I'd go further and start listing possibilities....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very first job was in a movie theater, and I used to have to clean them out once the shows were over. I have actually been special enough to find ONE shoe. I still don't know how it happened, or how the person didn't notice.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The ones I find odd is a random pair of sneakers hanging from a tree branch or electrical wire. All I think is "Why would any one tie their sneakers together and through it up there?!
I've always heard this was how gangs designate their territory.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We talk about that all the time....

What is even stranger is a Free ad on craigslist. I'm not kidding either. Someone posted they had ONE black flip-flop for free (left) if anyone could use it!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is a power line across the street here that regularly has ten or eleven pairs of shoes hanging from it. They change too, some have been there a long time, some are new. I get how they got there, I don't understand how people get them down?

As for single-shoes... there is a tradition here of jumping in the nasty "lake" on campus on the day we play Michigan in football. After that, the whole area turns into a mudball. Come back in the morning, and it's a single shoe graveyard. They're all just sitting there, lonely in the mud. Now, here's the thing. If you manage to somehow lose a shoe out a window, you're going 70 mph. If you're walking, why wouldn't you go back and pick it up!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think there's a person roaming the country doing this just to make people think. I think that's this person's mission on the planet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several times when I was a kid I lost shoes on the way to school! But this was back when I was living in Upstate New York and wearing boots to school was a requirement for walkers! They would fall out the top of my overstuffed book bag. Gosh I don't miss those days!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see lone shoes around here too.

Got me thinking what we did with shoes in college (after quaffing many beers to begin with)
we would drink out of shoes-nasty basketball shoes (hold more beer) after people had been wearing them!! YIKES!! its hard to believe I did that way back when!!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe on long car rides, people get bored and decide to toss a shoe out the window. I always wonder where the other shoe is. Oh, the mysteries of life.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Onr night this spring some of me and my friends went out, and after the bar closed we all were just hanging out and one of the girls went her *seperate* way(if ya know what I mean
) and well somehow me and a friend ended up with one of her shoes....
And being drunk, we tossed it out in the country somewhere! So I bet she was wondering where in the world that shoe was when she woke up the next day!!