TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Everyday Muslims
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Everyday Muslims - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post

How do you know that people who don't speak English YET aren't trying to learn? This kind of racism really sticks in my craw.
Good grief! I didn't mean to start a "racial war"!

I was referring to the people who won't make an effort to try - not to those who ARE trying. And believe me, when you work in retail and w/ the public, you begin to learn after awhile just who those people are if you pay attention. When I worked at a register, the same people who just two minutes ago claimed that they didn't understand you, turn around and begin to walk away, and then start speaking English to someone else. It's people like that who irk me - not the honest ones who really don't understand....

I am not a racist, and have nothing against anyone who is not the same nationality: I have many friends who are from a different culture or country, and I think they are fine people and I admire them - and none of them consider me a "racist." I think that if I were a racist, none of them would want to associate w/ me.

As I've already said, I have no problem w/ ANYONE who comes to our country and who wants a better way of life for themselves & their families, and who are honest about it. What I DO have a problem w/ is w/ those who are dishonest and won't even try, and expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter - and that includes Americans who live off the system. There are bad apples in every bunch...


~KK~
post #32 of 45
My experience of Lebanon is from vacations, however, the Lebanese are far from the description of the OP. They have beautiful beaches and mountains great shopping and the nightlife is a lot of fun. People I have met are very friendly and love to have a good time clubbing is very popular there with lots of famous DJs coming in from all over the world.
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/20...t_nightlif.php

Here are some clips from various nights:

http://yalibnan.com/tag/Club%20Scene
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan View Post
My experience of Lebanon is from vacations, however, the Lebanese are far from the description of the OP. They have beautiful beaches and mountains great shopping and the nightlife is a lot of fun. People I have met are very friendly and love to have a good time clubbing is very popular there with lots of famous DJs coming in from all over the world.
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/20...t_nightlif.php

Here are some clips from various nights:

http://yalibnan.com/tag/Club%20Scene
Thank you sooo much for posting that. I was in Beirut in 1982 and '83, and it was a rather sad place then. But, you could still see the beauty of the city, even though it was shot up pretty bad. I'd wonder sometimes how life was getting along there now days.
post #34 of 45
Thread Starter 
I don't mean to confuse religion with culture. Sorry if it sounded like that. I think in theocratic states it is easy to do so, but of course not all middle eastern people are Muslim.

I will say, though, that those same theocratic states' culture is heavily dictated by the dominant religion, or the religion of the theocracy. So I feel that they can be inextricably linked - if not the same, then certainly not mutually exclusive.

Growing up as kids our neighbours were Lebanese. I still remember them because I was really good friends with their daugher, Nadja. They were lovely people, very quiet, very funny. Just normal people like us. Frank could be a bit scary when he was in a bad mood - but then so could my Dad!
post #35 of 45
For the most part- the ones whom i have known personally (and we have a muslim family that volunteers at the shelter where i work) -they have been nothing but incredably kind and sweet. Always have a smile on their face- always willing to help and just be sooo kind. I have nothing negative to say at all about them- i love them to pieces! And just a side note- i'm 1/2 Jewish. To me- it doesn't matter so much what a person's religion is- rather how they treat others. The Muslims i've met in person have been soooo kind and sweet to me. And you know- at the end of the day- does it really matter? I mean they're people just like us. The only difference is their beliefs. And even then - Every single muslim i've ever met has been nothing but considerate and nice to me.

I remember one time when my mom and I were heading back to Memphis after a road trip to see my family in Pennsylavania....she had to pull over at a rest stop in Virginia because I was having a really bad asthma attack. When we pulled into the parking lot- there was a group of Muslim men there saying their evening prayers. When they saw how sick i was- they immediately ran over to help and didn't leave our sides until they saw i was ok a good 1/2 hour later. I will never forget their kindness and how they were soo selfless to help a total stranger.
post #36 of 45
I was checking out some Arabic music on youtube. Although I try and avoid the comments section on youtube, something caught my eye this time. One poster found the singer attractive and could not believe that she was an Arab, as people have a certain perception of what Arabs (esp women) look like and he, quite literally, could not believe what he was seeing.

Anyone curious can check out Haifa Wehbe on you tube (any of her videos will do!) However be warned her videos are considered quite "racy."
post #37 of 45
I am quite shocked at the attitude of pigeon-holing certain cultures/religions. Not all Muslims are terrorists, nor I'm sure are they all polite. Just the same way that in the 60's and 70's not all Irish living in the UK were terrorists and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the US who are not pro-war Bush voters! Everyone is different; we've all had different experiences with people from other cultures. If a Muslim person came on and read some of the things that have been posted how do you think he or she would feel?
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
I am quite shocked at the attitude of pigeon-holing certain cultures/religions. Not all Muslims are terrorists, nor I'm sure are they all polite. Just the same way that in the 60's and 70's not all Irish living in the UK were terrorists and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the US who are not pro-war Bush voters! Everyone is different; we've all had different experiences with people from other cultures. If a Muslim person came on and read some of the things that have been posted how do you think he or she would feel?
They have, and have commented... Nobody said they're all terrorists even slightly, and actually the point of the thread seems to be if said group of people has changed how they act in order to deflect that stereotype. A valid question.

Plus at least 5 times someone has said "some are nice, some are rude, just like any other people".

It is a touchy subject, to be sure.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
They have, and have commented... Nobody said they're all terrorists even slightly, and actually the point of the thread seems to be if said group of people has changed how they act in order to deflect that stereotype. A valid question.

Plus at least 5 times someone has said "some are nice, some are rude, just like any other people".

It is a touchy subject, to be sure.
I was commenting on a few of the posts, not all of them. It just seems to me that Muslims are a group that are constantly scrutinised and attacked; I don't agree with aspects of some Muslim culture myself just as I don't agree with aspects of our western, materialistic culture! Regarding the terrorist comment, that was more general as you can't deny that there are many people out there in Europe and Asia who assume Muslim = terrorist.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
I miss your point. Regardless, we've got rather off-topic here, haven't we?

I guess the general consensus is that this is a cultural thing and that as a rule, middle eastern / Muslim people are polite and self-effacing because that is their culture. Which makes for a pretty significant clash between what we see on the street and in daily life, and what is presented to us on television. Hard to believe that such a paradox could be within the boundaries of the one religion. But then, perhaps not so hard to believe. Where there is one extreme there is going to be another to balance it out. Just another thing that makes Islam fascinating to me, even though I know so little about it.
But you are the research queen. Why not check out some of the websites Bruce was talking about.
People tend to get bad impressions when you have leaders of countries such as Iran wanting to wipe people of different faiths off the planet.
When we take people on a person-by-person basis that we know personally or that come within our orbit, it is different.
post #41 of 45
Last year I hired a man who I knew was somewhere from the middle east and frankly, never asked him his background because it wasn't my business to ask. He worked for me for about a year so I got to know him pretty well. He was just a normal person. After he moved onto another position in the company and we were at a bar after work hours, I finally asked him where he was from. He was from Iran and a part time practicing Muslim. Just goes to support my views that any culture or religion is going to produce a great variety of people, most of whom are just normal everyday people.

But unfortunately, I do think that there will be people from minority groups, particularly Muslim these days, that will bend over backwards to prove that they don't meet the current stereotype that our society places on them. It's a darn shame.
post #42 of 45
I know a lot of Middle Eastern people on a personal level, having not only dated several, I even married one.

I would say that in their culture they are very strict, and very well mannered. Even if they drink and party, they still adhere to a lot of their strict belief's, and the majority of them that I've known, do believe in Islam, and deep down truly hate the Western Idealism. I also know that they consider Westerners MUCH LESS than they are. They may treat us nice to our face, but that is not the way the majority of them feel about Western People.

As far as dating them goes, I know for a fact that they like to date American and Western women, because they believe we are all loose and easy. I even asked one of my ex's, why he would want me to do things he would never DREAM of asking a Muslim woman to do. He flat out TOLD me that Muslim women were clean and pure, and were meant to be treated with the utmost respect, where as American and Western women are filthy dirty creatures who have no respect for themselves or anyone, and that they are meant to be used for their carnal pleasures. Needless to say, I stopped seeing him.

My ex husband is one of the few Muslims I've met who actually likes Americans, if only a little bit, and he even accepted me, being Jewish. But he was and still is extremely prejudiced towards people of other nationalities and races. He still worships Allah, and does the prayers. He stopped going to the Mosque every day, but will not falter during Ramadan. Does he want to destroy the Western World or convert over to Islam? He says he doesn't, and so I believe him. However, the majority of Muslim's I've met feel very strongly about how much they hate the Western World, and all Westerners.
post #43 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
I was commenting on a few of the posts, not all of them. It just seems to me that Muslims are a group that are constantly scrutinised and attacked; I don't agree with aspects of some Muslim culture myself just as I don't agree with aspects of our western, materialistic culture! Regarding the terrorist comment, that was more general as you can't deny that there are many people out there in Europe and Asia who assume Muslim = terrorist.
What you're saying here is the exact reason I started this thread. I see such an alarming trend of this where I live. I have heard several rude people commenting loudly about terrorism and such when just seeing a person of middle eastern descent doing their grocery shopping. It disgusts me.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
However, the majority of Muslim's I've met feel very strongly about how much they hate the Western World, and all Westerners.
Well you have met one who doesn't feel that way at all! I am proud to have named my kitty after a such a lovely person

I'm sorry that you have met so many rotten examples of Arabs. I don't know why so many of them tend to move abroad. All of my Arabs friends are not like them and they tend to live in the Middle East, so many Arabs I meet abroad are jerks.

Why do they move? Because everyone hates them at home

Seriously though I wish they would stop letting them in and pick immigrants wisely.
post #45 of 45
Truthfully, I've dated many Muslim and Arabic men, because let's face it, THEY ARE HOT. Very good looking guys. I wouldn't say that all of the Arabs are rotten examples. What I'd say is that most of the Arabs I've met don't like the Western World, when it comes down to it. My ex-husband doesn't feel that way. Of course he is from Lebanon, and he says they're very Westernized there. Most of the Arabs I've met are either from Iraq or Kuwait, and I would say 99 percent of them, have a very low opinion of American's and Western people.

My sister (also likes Arab men) used to date a man from United Emerites (miss spelled) and he was wonderful. So cute, and he loved Western people. In fact he turned me on to George Michael music. Of course he drank, partied and got high. He always wanted to be considered an American.

By the way, I still legally have my Arabic last name which is El Hussein.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Everyday Muslims