Roof of mouth colour?

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What colour should the roof of a cats mouth be?
Are dark spots normal?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It should be a pink-ish color. Not sure on the spots. Can you describe exactly what the roof of the mouth in question looks like?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its hard for me to see well as he is not one to let you get too close for inspections, but there are dark patches in the roof of the mouth, the rest is pink.
The dark part is in the center rear of the mouth.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
What color is your kitty's fur? For some reason, Orange/Red tabbies seem to develop dark spots on their noses and/or gums... so maybe it could be something along those lines... that's the only thing that comes to my mind anyhow

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.....I have no idea!
Do you have reason to be suspicious of something being wrong? Or is this just a normal "worry mode"?

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bit of both really!

He is slightly overweight and for the past few weeks has been drinking alot more than usual.

I think a vet visit is in order to have a urine test and check his mouth out..

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat samba has black coloring on the top of his mouth. I think its just part of his coloring. Tubee has one really small black spot on the top of his mouth. Both of them are fine. IMO Its probably just part of his coloring, kind of like when you shave your cat you can see their coloring on the skin.

Manda

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters. Multi-coloring on the roof of the mouth just seems seems part of their color structure. I've seen it in dogs too. If it was abnormal, your vet would have noticed it in the past when they inspect the teeth. I would think it is abnormal if it changed color over time. Otherwise, I think it's nothing to worry about.

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great

I just had not noticed before so was wondering if it was something that had popped up between the last vet visit and now. Im sure its nothing though!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo is a calico or torti & white, and she also has some black patches in her mouth. I think it is just a natural part of their coloring. She also has pink and black toes....which I think look like little Good and Plenty candies, lol!

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rajah, my silver bengal, has a black spot at the very front of the roof of his mouth. It's very symetrical and is just part of his coloring.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

I agree with the other posters. Multi-coloring on the roof of the mouth just seems seems part of their color structure. I've seen it in dogs too. If it was abnormal, your vet would have noticed it in the past when they inspect the teeth. I would think it is abnormal if it changed color over time. Otherwise, I think it's nothing to worry about.
I thought of dogs too when I read this... my dog, and 2 of my cousins have dogs that have chow in their blood lines (the dogs themselves aren't related though)... this has given them all black spotted or mostly black tounges and mouths... we like to say no one could ever steal our dogs, you'd just have to get them to give kisses to prove it!

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elvirah is a tortie and the roof of her mouth is mottled like her fur.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita my bengal has a black spot on the roof of her mouth as well. I think it's common in tabbies of all sorts.

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is black and vet visit is booked for next week.
He has been drinking tons of water the past few weeks, Im rather worried as he is a tad overweight, I hope its not kidney problems or something. He's only 1.5 years old.

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks all

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callie, my tortie, has a large "freckle" just behind her upper front teeth in her mouth. So cute when she yawns and you see it!

Hannah, my tabby, also has one in the same spot in her mouth, only the spot's not quite as large.

I think it's cute!

Stephanie