Does anyone know about Defensive Driving?

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't remember, what are the rules about DD, when you get a speeding ticket? Do you have to pay the fine, and take the course? or do they take some off of what your fine costs are if you take it? Can't remember?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um I know here if you are eligible to take the class then you dont have to pay the fine. But you have to sign up before your court date.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you pay the fine and if you take DD you get points off your license. Is is required that you take it or voluntary?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's different from state to state...all I had to do in KY was watch a video at home and take a test at home, and there were no points on my license...and of course I paid a fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I think you pay the fine and if you take DD you get points off your license. Is is required that you take it or voluntary?
voluntary....I want to say that if you take it in texas the ticket doesn't go
on your insurance??? I just can't remember!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I think it's different from state to state...all I had to do in KY was watch a video at home and take a test at home, and there were no points on my license...and of course I paid a fine.
I did the same thing the last time I took it, which was several yrs. ago!
what is points on your liscense mean? I think we have to pay the fine along with it also! I think if taken our insurance won't go up or something like that?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

what is points on your liscense mean?
Well depending on your infraction you get a certain amout of "points on your license. I'm not sure how many you're allowed, I would ask the DMV. They do fall off after so many years though. I should be an expert on this cuz my DH has had several driving violations since I've know him.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Well depending on your infraction you get a certain amout of "points on your license. I'm not sure how many you're allowed, I would ask the DMV. They do fall off after so many years though. I should be an expert on this cuz my DH has had several driving violations since I've know him.
And when the points get to a certain amount in a certain time frame, your license gets suspeneded.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

I can't remember, what are the rules about DD, when you get a speeding ticket? Do you have to pay the fine, and take the course? or do they take some off of what your fine costs are if you take it? Can't remember?
Depends on the state. Here in Virginia, I think you can take the DD class every couple of years or it is mandated if you get too many points (I happen to know this because I'm a bit of a speed demon). Depending on the number of points you have...the judge can decide to give you a lesser fine or even reduce the infraction...so DD classes are well worth attending. DD classes give you +5 points. Speeding points can range from 3-8 depending on the severity and whether you receive "reckless" driving. Reckless driving in Virginia means you HAVE to go to court.

Just as an FYI for anyone else in Virginia....if a cop pulls you over going 80...it is automatic "reckless", even if the speed limit is 65. Having received a "few" tickets in my life, I've become a bit familiar with the driving laws.

Katie

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

And when the points get to a certain amount in a certain time frame, your license gets suspeneded.
I'm suprised that hasn't happened to DH although he's had it suspended for other reasons.