All hail Shere Khan, the great and glorious hunter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so.. about two months ago.. we set up a 'soup kitchen' on our back deck to feed the squirrels and birds. This was generally done just to keep the kitties entertained. On and off, we've had a few bouts with the squirrels eating the bird seed instead of their own. Two bird feeders later (one of them squirrel proof), the squirrels and birds still abound on the deck.

The cats, avid little hunters that they are, have been sitting at the sliding glass doors. I've listened to a litany from the great and glorious F3 hunter, Khan, who chitters half hour long monologues about how he's *just* going to *get* that squirrel that keeps teasing him. Said "tease" will walk right up to the sliding glass door, put his nose up against Khan's on the other side of the glass, and flick his little tail while Khan's chittering increases to somewhat frustrated wailing while he predicts and screeches his dire threats about "if I ever get out there...."

So, today, I'd gone out for a smoke, and realized that I'd forgotten to get the pitchers of water for the plants (they're about to wilt). So I come back in, and fill up the pitchers. Now armed with my pitchers, one tucked inside my arm, holding the other one with both hands, cig behind my ear..I make my way to the sliding glass doors, open it up, slide the screen to the side, and step outside only to realize that the squirrels are barely even walking away because they're so used to us, and that Khan has managed to snake outside while I was coming through the doors. So, I'm yelling his name (lemme tell ya, he was so listening)...

The two squirrels are flicking their tail, and half heartedly *walking* toward the rails to hop off the deck.. and by half heartedly, I mean taking two steps, stopping, flicking their tails, and considering if they really wanted to get down. Meantime, here's Khan, the great and glorious hunter.. jogging across the deck with deadly intent. Jog two steps, stop, completely confuzzled by what to do next. The squirrels are now flicking their tails and HITTING him in the face, and here's Khan, one more step, sticks his nose out and tries to sniff them. Aggravated, he tries again, because they've now taken two more steps away from him, so he steps forward, tries to sniff them again, more smacks in the face from the squirrel. The squirrel reaches the edge, Khan is about two inches from the squirrel...Khan picks up his paw, and he hesitantly reaches it out and tries to touch the squirrel, like he's testing the surface of water to see if it will hold his weight... the squirrel smacks Khan in the face with his tail *again*, and disappears over the side of the deck.

At this point, I've finally got the pitchers put down on the table, have dropped everything, and I'm still frantically yelling at Khan (why, I don't know, obviously the SQUIRRELS were in no danger).. so I go over to get him, to find him sitting there staring with complete and absolute bewilderment like "What? What did I do wrong??"

All hail the great and glorious hunter, Shere Khan, our third generation Bengal.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is too funny [sorry, Kahn, but it is!] I can barely type I'm laughing so hard!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the shame! Imagine being whacked in the face by a squirrel and doing nothing about it. I'm going to tell my cats that story so that they can make fun of him!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, now, now -- let us consider the possibility that Khan is not a lousy hunter, but a great wildlife preservationist!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, given his Asian Leopard Cat heritage... well, maybe they don't have squirrels in Asia...??? Yeah, and I came in and told my sister.. (Khan belongs to her)... and she's like, well, he doesn't know how to hunt.. I said, well, it just ensures that the squirrels will come to the window and taunt him more...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Now, now, now -- let us consider the possibility that Khan is not a lousy hunter, but a great wildlife preservationist!
Wait a minute. Remind me. This is a cat we're talking about...? Riiiiiiiiiiight!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, yep, mostly cat and part Asian Leopard Cat... he's got at least 12.5 percent ALC in him. And the sad, sad part of it is.. he's really a superb athlete, if you give him da bird..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could just picture that in my mind. Those squirrels knew he was all talk!
Poor Khan, what a bruised ego he must have
He sounds like a sweet kitty. Any pictures of him in Fur Pictures Forum?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahah, cute story

reminds me of the Dog that stopped to smell the bunny,
how the dog was smelling it, the bunny went down the hole lol

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Did any of the other kitties see?
Yes, Noel, the true hunter (my domestic), was watching from the door. We have a conversation about whether outside is appropriate or not every time I go in or out a door. He and Noel have top cat rivalry at the moment, so I'm sure he was super embarassed.
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

That is toooo funny!!!
My sister didn't think it was as funny as I did (she was laughing though). He's sitting at the glass door chittering at the birds right now. I guess if it had been a *bird* he would have caught it. Lynn (my sister) says.. he's a fearsome hunter, he got to touch a squirrel yesterday.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I could just picture that in my mind. Those squirrels knew he was all talk!
Poor Khan, what a bruised ego he must have
He sounds like a sweet kitty. Any pictures of him in Fur Pictures Forum?
Let me look. I think I posted some of everyone except Pogue. Nope, Pogue is on this one too. http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129362 this is the sleeping cats, but he's in there. There's a couple on here that show his rosettes off a little better. http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115537

Originally Posted by theimp98

ahah, cute story

reminds me of the Dog that stopped to smell the bunny,
how the dog was smelling it, the bunny went down the hole lol
Hehe, if he only knew he was being compared to a dog. Salt to the wound.