Throwing-up

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess they all do it, but I would like your opinions on why and how often your cats throw-up food. For example, my Siamese will throw up most of what she ate from a wet food dinner several times a week, always has. Is it too "rich". She eats a lot then out it comes, right by the dish. At least it's easy to clean up there.

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may be eating her meal too fast. Try giving her smaller amounts, a little at a time to slow down her eating.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she eat dry too and is she throwing that up?
What kind of wet is it and is it all flavours / brands of wet?

It could be a few things:
~she is allergic or sensitive to something in the wet (or it is too rich)
~she is eating too fast
~the bowl is too low to the ground and causing her to choke a little when eating (they tend to lap up wet without sitting up straight to bite it, where with dry food they are more likely to get some in their mouth and then sit up properly to bite/crunch it and swallow)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Does she eat dry too and is she throwing that up?
She eats dry, no she does not throw it up.

What kind of wet is it and is it all flavours / brands of wet?
Science Diet Entree chicken flavor

It could be a few things:
~she is allergic or sensitive to something in the wet (or it is too rich)
~she is eating too fast
~the bowl is too low to the ground and causing her to choke a little when eating (they tend to lap up wet without sitting up straight to bite it, where with dry food they are more likely to get some in their mouth and then sit up properly to bite/crunch it and swallow)
I suspect it may be as you say, too rich/too fast. The height of the bowl is a new idea, never heard that before. I will try to raise it up a few inches? Also, maybe not put so much out at a time. She likes her wet food though, will come to me and complain if I don't get dinner on the table!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the food new ?? if so what is the previous food???

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the same food for a long time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try a food with no corn , by products or wheat

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikex

I guess they all do it, but I would like your opinions on why and how often your cats throw-up food. For example, my Siamese will throw up most of what she ate from a wet food dinner several times a week, always has. Is it too "rich". She eats a lot then out it comes, right by the dish. At least it's easy to clean up there.
Im going through this right now off and on with Petunia. She eats very fast and I wrote a thread about this not too long ago and someone suggested that
I place her bowl on top of a phone book or something else to atleast elevate it up off the floor. So far she has not thrown up anything since I originally asked for suggestions on here. I had never heard about the level of the bowl being a possibility for her upset stomach until I asked about it. Good luck!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikex

No, the same food for a long time.
Have you always given her chicken based food or have you tried other flavors? The reason I ask, my youngest kitty Anna will upchuck right beside her plate everytime she tries to eat Salmon wet food (not the dry,tho!)...any type brand. Maybe she just doesn't like chicken wet?

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarkleysJester

Im going through this right now off and on with Petunia. She eats very fast and I wrote a thread about this not too long ago and someone suggested that
I place her bowl on top of a phone book or something else to atleast elevate it up off the floor. So far she has not thrown up anything since I originally asked for suggestions on here. I had never heard about the level of the bowl being a possibility for her upset stomach until I asked about it. Good luck!
I am going to start giving a lot less of it, I think that will help and try raising the dish. I hope it's that simple!

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Have you always given her chicken based food or have you tried other flavors? The reason I ask, my youngest kitty Anna will upchuck right beside her plate everytime she tries to eat Salmon wet food (not the dry,tho!)...any type brand. Maybe she just doesn't like chicken wet?
She doesn't much like other flavors, but Turkey may fly (no pun intended). She does it right by the dish so it has to be either eating too fast or the height of the dish I think.