Worming kittens

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old do kittens need to be before you can worm them? I took in a 4-5 wk old kitten that has the biggest worm belly. He is just so tiny I couldn't leave him (a lady was giving them out at the store and he was the last one).

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you take him to the vet they will give you the right dose of wormer to start him on now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not use over the counter worm medicines - you don't know what kind of worms they have to start - its better to take the kitten to the vet for proper identification and the right dosage. With small kittens, they probably will give him a little bit at a time so you may need 2 doses if he is that bad.

Remember worm medicine is poison so you don't want to "do it yourself".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just moved to a rural area where the vets charge an arm and a leg so I didn't want to take him if he was to young for worming. If you think they will help him, I will give them a call and see what they say.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took my 1 week old kittens to the vet for a check, the vet gave me some worming paste. It looks like a syringe. You put it in there mouth. The syringe measures the dose. My vet said to use one 'notch' on the syringe per day for 3 days on a row.

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Please do not use over the counter worm medicines - you don't know what kind of worms they have to start - its better to take the kitten to the vet for proper identification and the right dosage. With small kittens, they probably will give him a little bit at a time so you may need 2 doses if he is that bad.

Remember worm medicine is poison so you don't want to "do it yourself".
I agree. He needs to go to a vet to get proper treatment.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten with a wormy belly has round and/or hookworms. You can buy dewormer OTC but the active ingredient for these worms must be pyrantal pamoate, not piprazine. It will have the dosage written right on the package and everything. This is EXACTLY the same thing the vet will give you. Just make sure you check the active ingredient.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call my vet & tell him I've got a wormy kitties/kitty & he gives me dewormer. I was told the youngest to deworm is at 4 weeks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are unsure about anything, call the vet and ask at least. But realize they will give you pyrantal and will also charge you for a fecal. Kittens should be dewormed period, there is no sense in doing a fecal on one that young.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I have been doing rescue for a couple of years and we vaccinate and worm all the kittens ourselves. Of course the wormer comes from a vet or is okay'd by the vet.
The kitten is all white with orange and black spots on its head only. Is this considered calico?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its got red (orange), black and white its a calico. With color only on the head/taill, it would be known as a "van pattern".

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calico? Any name suggestions for a sweet little thing given away in front of Safeway?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd name her U-Neek - Neeki for short. Because I don't think I've ever seen a van with only color on the head and not the tail; IMO she's pretty unique