Kipper is being putdown tomorrow morning

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had her for 19 years.
A trip to the vets earlier this afternoon gave me the shock of my life. They said Kipper's kidneys have failed completely and it was starting to effect her brain. They said the kindest thing to do at this stage was to put her to sleep.
I don't know how I'm going to say goodbye. It's so so hard

any advice?
would be really appreciated.
xxx

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! What a sweet looking cat she is. Spoil her rotten! Pet her and tell her how much you love her and you'll miss her and that she'll always be with you in your heart. I'd personally probably stay up all night with her just to spend as much time with her as possible. Also, if you can, stay with her while they PTS her... it will be hard but she'll probably feel better having you there.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always hard to say goodbye. Try to remember that she is very old and tired now but she's had a good long life, and that you and she have both been lucky to have had each other to love for so long. Letting her go peacefully and without pain is an act of love.

I really feel for you, it's never an easy thing to do.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry!
Just love on her as much as you can...it will make both of you feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thankyou so much for your replies
it means the world to me
kipper is sat here beside me now curled up in a ball.
I cant help but feel in complete denial, that the vets have got it wrong.
I thought she would live forever

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! Loosing my RB girls was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. One died unexpectedly and one I didn't go to the vet with her when she was PTS. So I'll just tell you what I did with Tiger, my last RB girl.

Tiger also had kidney failure and thyroid problems. We had medicated her and for a few months she was better. But then, and they warned us it would be like that, she went downhill very rapidly. It was obvious she was suffering and it just tore me up. I'd just gotten married earlier that month, so my new husband, my parent's and I took her to the vet.

Mom had wrapped Tiger in a towel because she was shivering. I knew I couldn't handle it emotionally to be there for her final moment. So before they came in, I put my body closely over top of hers and I whispered in her ear and stroked her head. I told her how much I loved her. How she was the best kitty and that we wanted her to be happy and feel good again. I told her she was going to see Glory and Tinsel and to please tell them I loved them and missed them too. I told her I'd miss her. During that talk with her, Tiger started purring. I know now that purring can be a sign of pain, but it gave me such peace at the time. I still feel Tiger was trying to say thank you to us. Thanking us for loving her and thanking us for letting her go.

After DH and I left we went back to my parent's and I bawled till they came back with Tiger. Tiger was buried next to Glory in the backyard with our dogs watching so they could understand (they don't go to that part of the yard so them digging in that area wasn't a concern). At the time my hair was very long. So I had cut a lock from the back where it wouldn't show, tied a ribbon around it, and it was buried with her. That way I felt a part of me would always be with her too.

Saying goodbye is never easy. But please, let yourself grieve and let yourself heal too. I still miss my RB girls and think of them so often, but now I have room in my home and heart for the kitties we have now. I'm so sorry this time has come for you and Kipper. You will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow too. PM me anytime if you want to talk. I'm here to listen.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kipper3972

I cant help but feel in complete denial, that the vets have got it wrong.
I thought she would live forever
well, there is always that possibility... how has she been acting? normal? or have you noticed things that you were trying not to notice?
it's a really hard decision, i know... we're all here for you!

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. This is extremely hard to go through. I don't have anything to offer other than what the others have mentioned. I just wanted to let you know that my heart goes out to you through this.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be. We are here for you if you need to talk.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear it is Kipper's time. I was there when we finally said good-bye to my Petunia. I never thought I could do it but when the time came, but I found I wouldn't want to be anywhere else except to be with her until the end. I'm always glad I was there.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry you are even facing this decision. Many hugs and prayers are coming your way, for both you and your precious baby girl.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry your having to go through this

Always know that were here for you when Kippers time comes, then bring your little girl into the bridge forum and we'll be there with you to send her safely across

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*

I had a beautiful kitty named Toby who had end stage kidney failure. When I took her to the vet to have her `put to sleep` it was so hard. I stayed with her the whole time and hugged and kissed her and talked to her and told her that I loved her and would miss her very much.

I was very sad and cried my eyes out for a few days because I missed her so much. But I took comfort in the fact that I let her go before she was in a great deal of pain and suffering.

Something amazing happened a week or so later. Something I never planned. I went strawberry picking with a friend because she wanted to get me out of the house. While we were waiting for the tractor to take us to the fields there was a cute little torti kitten that was loving me up. She was there when we got back too and she kept following me around and rubbing against my legs even though there were lots of other people around.

I ended up taking her home with me. I didn`t think it was possible, but I found a spot in my heart for a new kitty and I believe that Toby sent her to me so I wouldn`t be lonely. That new kitty helped my heart to heal.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have nothing to add by way of advice, but I do send lots of
This is the toughest part of sharing one's life with furpeople, but if Kipper's time has come, it's also the most loving thing you can do for her.
I will be thinking of you both.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been hugging her all night. Sat infront of the tellie with her wrapped in my arms. I want to be there in her last moments.
I can't believe it's all coming to an end

all your stories touched my heart and thankyou for all the support.
xxx

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also I have taken some pictures of me and kipper to put on the wall.
Just so I can look at it and think of great times we have shared.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Kipper. We had to put our first Smudge-kitty to sleep because he had FIP. We only had a few days from when we first realized how sick he was until we had to make the decision. He was only 5 months old.
I was so glad I was there, though, and it was very peaceful. I held him and told him all the RB kitties he should look for, and all their names, and that we would see each other again someday.

Then, just a few months later, he "sent" me the Smudge I have now - who was even born on the same birthday. So I'd recognize him.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Kipper. It's a hard thing to have to say goodbye to a furbaby, I know. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I can say is, just remember her in your heart.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh...
....I really so sorry....
I´m spechless...
and I feel so sad for this unfortunately new for you...
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
My prayers for him and my deep wishes to you feel well my friend...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences and empathy go out to you at this sad time. I have been where you are now more times than I want to think about; it is always the hardest thing in the world to have to accept, but when you think of HER before yourself, which is what you are doing, and do what is best for your beloved little girl, it will ease the pain somewhat.

The other posters have said all the things I would say, very well, and of course all of our hearts go out to you and Kipper (who will be free of pain! and waiting for you over the Rainbow Bridge...).

Personally, I always do three things at these times: I make a memory book of photos and words, so that I will always have that to remember my loved one by, and I can share it with others who loved them or who are interested. I plant a plant above the resting place, for a living memorial. Roses are favorites, but I've also planted jasmines, as well as trees. And finally, I adopt another deserving cat. Not to "replace" a unique and beloved cat, as that would never be possible anyway; but as all of my cats are rescues, and my life is dedicated to cat rescue, humane education, and all related, I am a firm believer in giving another needy cat a chance, saving another precious life! and giving love to another -- I know that my cats would want it that way, too.

You and Kipper are in all of our prayers, I know. If you can be there with her during her transition, it will make her passage much calmer and easier. And you will look back knowing that you did the best for her.