Some IDIOT let the boys out of the yard! FURIOUS!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am ready to absolutely strangle someone right now!!!!!!!!!!! I am BEYOND ticked!!!!!
Just to start with- our dogs as well as all of our other animals are indoors only. The dogs only go in our fenced in backyard to potty- we don't leave them out there. This morning, Colin let the boys (Fosters and Whiskey-our dogs) outside in the backyard for a few minutes to use the bathroom. When he went to the door (about 5 minutes later) to let them back in, they were gone! The he ran around the house screaming "Nikki- the dogs are gone- did you already let them in the hosue" - so i told him no. It was at that point my heart absolutely dropped. We realized both our boys were gone.

So we ran outside looking for them. It was at that point we realized our fence had been closed. So someone had to have opened it and closed it back! GURRRRRRR! We called the city of Memphis today (we live in Bartlett, TN - but the city of Memphis - MLGW has their employees read our power meter) Sure enough- someone had been in our neighborhood today! So one of the idiot meter readers opened the fence to read the power meter and let our dogs out...then closed the fence back
How STUPID can these idiots get?????? They OBVIOUSLY let our dogs out- and it's not like they're little dogs that can whip right by them unnoticed -our dogs are big- Fosters is an Australian Sheperd and Whiskey is a Carolina Dog- you notice them.

Here's the thing that gets me - the idiots closed the gate back and went on reading meters!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They didn't knock on our door or ring our doorbell to even say "i'm sorry ma'am/sir...i was reading you meter and accidently let your dogs out. anything i can do to help?" - I wouldn't be mad if they had just been honest and told us what happened like any decient /reponsible human being would! But NO....they didn't do that -they went right on with their business, closed the gate and left without even letting us know they let our dogs out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am furious!!!!!! Those dogs are like our children- they are all we have and i just couldn't imagine life without them- to think someone would be sooo cruel and careless not to even tell us what happened- it makes me want to scream! If I EVER meet the person who did this- you better believe i will bless them out!!!!!

Fortunately - we have two VERY VERY VERY good dogs. Colin found Whiskey immediately when we ran outside- so we took him back in the house and went back to look for Fosters.

Our home is literally in the backyard of one of the local elementary schools and so when we went over to ask the teacher/ kids if they had seen Fosters they pointed us right in the direction where they saw him go (they're soo sweet over there!) I ran around our front yard calling his name for a few minutes and looking for him and then he ran out and saw me- i called him over to me (very happy to see him!) and he came right to me. Thank goodness! He's such a good boy. Thank God we found both of them very quickly! I would have just died if something happened to my babies
They're both safe and sound now on the couch with me. I gave them lots of treats and praise for being soooo good and comming right over to us. We are sooo lucky they're such obedient dogs..and also that they're not the type that once they're loose...they're gone- they came right to us. I am soo greatful. It scared the devil out of me.

So yea needless to say- Colin and I both called and left MLGW (memphis light gas & water) messages to let them know what happened and how we were VERY upset (to say it nicely.) We also let them know that the idiot who did this picked the wrong house- Colin is a police officer and I work for animal control.

So yea- nice start to my day huh
Colin has added a VERY good lock to the back fence now (we had one on the front fence, but not the back one as nobody ever goes in that one- but now we do!). We have filed complaints with MLGW and about this situation and also over the fact that the idiots didn't even ask permission (we were both home!) to go into our yard in the first place! Uhhhhhh I am sooooooo upset over this!!!!
Tonight a little retail therapy is definitely in order!!! And a trip to the pet store to get my wonderful, sweet dogs a special treat for being soooo good and comming right back to us when we called after them.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gee, so sorry for what happened, glad your dogs are back. To make things legal, in the future, if it happens again, which I don't think it will, you might want to post a NO TRESSPASSING sign, or BEWARE OF DOGS sign.

If property has a NO TRESSPASSING sign, it changes everything.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be
too Nikki!

That happened to me once. I had Autumn - A Boxer and Raven - Great Dane Rottie Mix.
They left the gate wide open and let them out.
I fould Autumn about 2 blocks away playing with some kids (she was a sweetheart
) But I never found Raven!
She was tagged and chipped so I checked with AC and SPCA everyday for 6 months.
I think someone took her in and kept her.. or at least I hope.
We lived on a main road and I still fear the worst!

Glad you got your boys back!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the meter is their property legally speaking, and so they are not trespassing (as long as entering to read it obviously). I am glad they are ok, but there is no way of proving that it wasn't just kids or someone who opened the gate (even those peeps with junk mail) and ran away when they seen the dogs leaving the gate open rather than the meter reader, so his employers wont do much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh I'd be just as furious!!!! Did they think you would not notice? I mean good grief! I'm soooo glad your puppies are ok!
Apparently- that or they just didn't care. I am sooooooooooo furious over this!!!!! (and this is me after i've calmed down
) I am about ready to rip the idiots head off if only i knew who it was! (they're lucky i don't!) Colin was every bit just as mad!!!! And we're not even the angry types at all eithor- but that goes to show how much we love our animals! We'd fight to the death over them- they're our babies! I agree too with you though- i am sooo happy that we found them and they are now safe and sound back home. I was about to call over one of my coworkers to help me find Fosters (it took us a little while for us to find him. Thankfully the teacher and her class were at recess outside though and pointed us in the right direction! When Fosters heard us calling after a few minutes he came right to us!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Gee, so sorry for what happened, glad your dogs are back. To make things legal, in the future, if it happens again, which I don't think it will, you might want to post a NO TRESSPASSING sign, or BEWARE OF DOGS sign.

If property has a NO TRESSPASSING sign, it changes everything.
Thankyou! I will go out tonight and get a no tresspassing sign!

Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I would be
too Nikki!

That happened to me once. I had Autumn - A Boxer and Raven - Great Dane Rottie Mix.
They left the gate wide open and let them out.
I fould Autumn about 2 blocks away playing with some kids (she was a sweetheart
) But I never found Raven!
She was tagged and chipped so I checked with AC and SPCA everyday for 6 months.
I think someone took her in and kept her.. or at least I hope.
We lived on a main road and I still fear the worst!

Glad you got your boys back!
oh alycia- i am soo sorry about raven

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Unfortunately, the meter is their property legally speaking, and so they are not trespassing (as long as entering to read it obviously). I am glad they are ok, but there is no way of proving that it wasn't just kids or someone who opened the gate (even those peeps with junk mail) and ran away when they seen the dogs leaving the gate open rather than the meter reader, so his employers wont do much
well we do have proof as their supervisor (when we called) said for a fact they were at our house this morning...so we know that's what it was. Also- one of our neighbors saw the truck and saw them going door to door- she's an older lady- she came out and helped us look when she saw us outside calling for them. So we know it was them. the supervisor said there is also a code they're to follow when they people appear to be home (which we both were and both cars were in the driveway.) they are supposed to knock or ring the doorbell first before going in your yard. They didn't do eithor. So according to the supervisor- the person who did this is going to be in quite a bit of trouble and get repreimanded for this. Thankfully.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a total lack of any sense of responsibility! I can't imagine anyone leaving the gate open for the dogs to get out in the first place, let alone closing it and walking away without a word! That shows such poor judgment that I don't think such a person ought to be in a job where he has the right to enter someone's property. Bad enough for your precious dogs -- but what if a child had been in the yard?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I'd feel exactly the same. I can't imagine! I am Soooo glad that you found them quickly and that they were okay.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I hope that person gets a reprimand from his/her supervisor!!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Accidents happen, I dont think I would have been mad if the person that had done it had come up and told me that they accidentally let the dogs out. But to just close it back up as if nothing had happened is wrong. The employee who did it deserves to be punished for thier actions. Hopefully the company will give a stern talking to, to this individual so that something like this will never happen again.
It's good that your pups are so obediant though

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that you found your dogs! The meter people must have left the gate open while they were reading your meter and then closed it after they left.

Glad you called and complained.

I'm rather surprised actually that the meter people went into the yard where there were dogs. Here they won't do that, not even the mail carriers will go into a yard if there is a dog there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

........I'm rather surprised actually that the meter people went into the yard where there were dogs.......
I had that thought too. Unless the person was comfortable with them, but that would mean they knew the dogs were there and what not.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you found them! And they were safe! Our meter is in front of our gate, so they don't go back there. A problem if you put a lock on it though: MLGW did this to a friend - they had a dog out back, so the meter-reader never went back their to get the readings. They "guessed" what they were using based on previous months. About 6 months later, the meter was actually read. Their "guestimate" was off, my friend ended up owing over $600 one month to make up for it.

Hope you get this all worked out!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

I am so glad you found them! And they were safe! Our meter is in front of our gate, so they don't go back there. A problem if you put a lock on it though: MLGW did this to a friend - they had a dog out back, so the meter-reader never went back their to get the readings. They "guessed" what they were using based on previous months. About 6 months later, the meter was actually read. Their "guestimate" was off, my friend ended up owing over $600 one month to make up for it.

Yup, she's right...you could post a sign near the meter for them not to let the dogs out.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here the meter readers will go in your yard if you have dogs but what makes me mad is they carry one of two things a big stick or a can of mase cause one of my uncles dogs was mased and all he was doing was barking at the meter reader. but I am glad to see that your dogs are okay I know anything could have happened to them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I am still extremly ticked off over this to say the least! We never got another call back (it seems actually getting ahold of a human being and not a recording on the other line at MLGW is impossible
). I am still insanely furious over the whole thing. i've been a nervous wreck all day. To make things even more peachy- the rest of my day was equally crummy for the most part
Tomorrow has to be better!

I went to Petco tonight and got the boys some nice pressed rawhides and some doggie cookies and have been babying them all night and just spending time with them. It scared me sooo much to even consider what could have happened had they not been soo obedient and easy to find.
If I ever get my hands on the idiot who did that.....
Colin and I are going to get a "no tresspassing" sign and put it on the fence too next time we go to the store or something of that nature.

Originally Posted by Samantha1979

That stinks about your friend. I tell you what- MLGW is nothing but bad news
They're horrible! And i swear they're in the news more than any utility company should EVER be because of all the scandals they've had
It's rediculious. They have a bunch of stupid people working for them for the most part.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a town that has alleys in most of the subdivions, so the meter readers don't even enter the yards. I've seen them standing on stools with a device that is similar to a telescope to read the meter over the fence. They look like peeping toms.
My parents have some sort of electronic meter. The meter reader just drives down the street and downloads the usage info from each meter. I love that idea.

If you put locks on your gates, I would call MLGW and arrange a day for the meter to be read at least every two months. That should prevent a killer bill.
And contact the guy at your local TV station who does the "In Your Corner" segments. You might get an apology that way.