Complaint sites

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I'm not complaining about anything

I'm just curious, how much do you believe/trust the people that post on sites like Consumer Affairs, Rip of Report, etc and not go with that particular company?

I'm only asking because I'm researching on a company and I've read a couple of reports that made me think whether or not I want to go with that company

Do you think that the people that post on there are just overly picky and will complain about anything or 99.999999% sure they're legit?

EDIT: I'm not questioning the web sites themselves, just the people that post or report to them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to read them and see what the complaint is about if they have that information. It is like the ones for hotels, many of the complaints are 'was too far from x attraction' but you know where it is when you book it (and its generally cheaper for being away from the attraction) so IMO its not a mark away from the hotel. The same with any of the consumer websites... if they have the information, I will read it, if not I will take into consideration how many people really are overly picky

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have to take in to consideration that some of the people who post on those sites are going to be upset no matter what the outcome. Also, I've had customer's call in and say that we are being unfair when there is nothing we can do about the information that we have. We use 3rd party reporting agencies, and that information has to be corrected through the vendor.

In short, I'd take anything I read on a site like that with a grain of salt.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I would actually consider those sites to "Be the truth" is if there are several complaints about the same thing.
And even then I would probably be skeptical

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing is check how similar their business name is to others - we once had to work really hard to get a complaint against our companies name removed for a person who had never been our customer. Eventually they set up a mediation meeting to try and sort it out, he brought his invoice with him and realised THEN that he had entered the wrong company name in

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think bbb is pretty reliable. I believe they investigate their complaints, however... if you look at their website, the company has a chance to resolve the dispute and you can see how many of the complaints they resolved. I haven't looked at the consumer affairs website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm..well there are just way too many complaints between those three sites for the moving company I'm looking at. When I talked with the girl, there was just something in my gut that said this is wrong.
Same with another moving company I talked with yesterday. Just that gut feeling that both were pulling my leg about the price. Both prices were much lower than our first quote, but both companies are owned by the same parent company.

In short, yes I do want a cheap move, but neither offered a decent insurance for the move that we can upgrade. One wouldn't tell me the price of the insurance, the other told me just to depend on our renters insurance (which we don't have right now)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also consider how well-written the complaint is. I've noticed that the people who can't put together an intelligible sentence are often the same ones who are livid over something ridiculous. For example, I checked out an apartment complex I was thinking of moving to and several people had posted comments like: "manger all ways gripping about noise."
To me, that's a plus!

EDIT: Oh gosh, I didn't know you were talking about moving companies! In my experience, there is no such thing as an honest moving company -- they will lowball you up front and then refuse to unload until you pay them more, and they will do nothing at all about damage. Next time I move, I'm going to look for some little family business with one truck and a few big burly brothers...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that is the bonus to working in a company that has their own huge trucks - pack yourself, the way you want it and just have them drive the van for the cost of a 24 of beer when they drop the truck back and fill the gas tank

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as far as moving companies, I only go with friend recommended companies, so I know how they will be.

For those complaint sites - I read the details. If it is posted "xwy co sucks!" that doesnt tell me anything. If they outline, for instance, they were a customer for 20 years with so-and-so and such-and-such happened, then I'll believe it.

I saw one on my three cents that complained about a large retailer - for arresting him for shoplifting and made him pay for the food he stole. He complained b/c that company obviously has enough money so he was made they demaned payment for him. Argh, some ppl...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

EDIT: Oh gosh, I didn't know you were talking about moving companies! In my experience, there is no such thing as an honest moving company -- they will lowball you up front and then refuse to unload until you pay them more, and they will do nothing at all about damage. Next time I move, I'm going to look for some little family business with one truck and a few big burly brothers...
No worries...I didn't mention it before
Thanks for the input though...I liked one that gave me guaranteed pricing, BUT if the weight is more than they estimated then we have to pay more

Umm...how does that guarantee me the price?

Anyway I'm to the point now of asking around, like you mentioned Cdubbie. I'm asking not only which to go with, but who to avoid too!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay a great deal of attention to sites such as those. The comments and ratings and reviews are there for a reason.

In fact when I have a bad experience with a company *coughs...Dell...coughs* I do online searches and make sure I tell my story wherever I can so that others don't get duped and ripped off. If I find a company has gone out of their way to rectify a problem or concern of mine, I will also leave positive reviews for those companies.

Always listen to Consumer Digest reports. They won't steer you wrong.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've definitely learned to ignore some of those compliants about Apt. complexes. Some people expect to have a house instead of having to share walls with other people.

I also try to ignore people that don't spelchek there postss on theez cites two.

That's good advice though to take them with a grain of salt. I sometimes see something bad (even if its one post) and say "Nope, not buying!!"

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask everyone for quotes. Ask them to come to the house, and give you an estimate, in writing. Ask them what their policy is if the move exceeds what they estimated, as in, there's more weight, or more stuff.. and what they do. Personally, I feel if they get there and they do an in-home estimate they should be good enough at their job that they'll know the price range. If you get all that info ahead of time, and then get a written quote from them, it might depend on the state but I think you could file damages on them for upping the cost. I'd also find out, though, what their policy is if they underestimate the gas prices, what happens and what they do to fix it if *they're* late with the delivery or move, what they do to ensure breakage and what sort of insurance they carry. If they are moving you, then they are responsible, imo, and I'd try to find one that insures everything. They'll be a lot more careful with your stuff if they're responsible for it.

Let me take a look around and see if I can find some information. I have a friend who works for Grable.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the other thing is, tell them if they don't give you straight answers (when they're hedging) that you'll go to another company. Be nice about it, but I'd make it perfectly clear you're not going to be swindled or allow them to dance around the answers.

If they say... oh, well, it depends on your renters insurance. Say, well, then tell me what the deal is with all possible scenarios. Oh, well, here, let's start with the worst case scenario.. what do you do when the person you're moving has none. How do you insure them?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i think you will see a trend? like i told my sister not to buy a dell.
and ponited her toward some of those sites.

people complain about lack of support, lack of english speaking support etc.
well one year end, her pc blows up, tons of issues with tech support, and guess what people that dont speak english.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I'd ask everyone for quotes. Ask them to come to the house, and give you an estimate, in writing. Ask them what their policy is if the move exceeds what they estimated, as in, there's more weight, or more stuff.. and what they do. Personally, I feel if they get there and they do an in-home estimate they should be good enough at their job that they'll know the price range. If you get all that info ahead of time, and then get a written quote from them, it might depend on the state but I think you could file damages on them for upping the cost. I'd also find out, though, what their policy is if they underestimate the gas prices, what happens and what they do to fix it if *they're* late with the delivery or move, what they do to ensure breakage and what sort of insurance they carry. If they are moving you, then they are responsible, imo, and I'd try to find one that insures everything. They'll be a lot more careful with your stuff if they're responsible for it.

Let me take a look around and see if I can find some information. I have a friend who works for Grable.
Thanks!
One guy I work with (for another week) said to see if they have to change delivery trucks in the process. He said that's where the hidden fees come in. He was suggesting we use Pods, pack up here then pay for movers once we get to NJ.
Problem is B's back. He can't lift a whole lot, especially a couch.

Originally Posted by theimp98

well i think you will see a trend? like i told my sister not to buy a dell.
and ponited her toward some of those sites.

people complain about lack of support, lack of english speaking support etc.
well one year end, her pc blows up, tons of issues with tech support, and guess what people that dont speak english.
Wow!
She got a WHOLE YEAR out of a Dell? That's pretty good...