Layla has cat breath! How do I make her mouth smell good???

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Layla Science Diet dry food, and Fancy Feast wet food, I give her some of both daily... I have noticed that her breath is really gross smelling and I am wondering if is is normal, or is there something I can do to help it, or is it just the food??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the food(which isn't very good), it could be an infection of her kidneys or another internal infection, or it could be bad teeth/gums.

I highly suggest a vet check to rule out any mouth/gum issues...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is she ???

Has she recently had a dental vet visit>>???

it could be food as both of those IMHO are not the best ...

I would suggest a vet visit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I think it is the food, but I have been having a hard time figuring out what the best food is!! She isn't picky, but I jusy don't know what is the best food for a cat nutritionally. Any suggetions will be very appreciated!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some good foods that I know of are:
Nature's Variety- wet and dry
Wellness- wet and dry
Merricks- wet
Instinct- wet

I like Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. Its grain free, by-product free, and preservative free. My cats love it. Look for a food that doesn't have by-products or chemical preservatives. Grain free foods are also a good choice since cats naturally do not consume grain other than what is inside the stomachs of their prey.

I would definatly get a vet check. Could be bad teeth (which can cause alot of problems). I would also recommend getting a product called Nature's Dentist. My cat had the worst teeth ever (getting them pulled all the time because they were rotting) I put him on Nature's Dentist which is an enzyme you sprinkle on their food twice a day. The vet is amazed at how well his teeth are doing and is breath smells great(it used to smell like rotten things). The vet said that his teeth look 20 times better than they did a few months ago.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you shop at a big pet store ...

Nutro - Max or Natural choice( has wet and dry)
Royal canin( wet/ dry)
Blue spa( dry currently wet soon??)
Solid gold( wet/ or dry
Sensible choice ( wet( hard to find) / dry)
Organix / Ultramix ( wet and dry)
Natural balance wet/ dry
Harder to find and generally $$

Evangers wet for cat wet/dry in dog
Wellness wet(mine loves ) / dry .. has grain free s
Natures variety wet/ dry / raw/ freeze dried
Orijen dry VERY hard to find
Innova and Evo wet / dry later grain free
Timberwolf/ serrengetti dry grain free
Merrick canned only in cats
Califonia natural wet and dry
Premium edge dry to my knowledge( very reasonable)
Chicken soup ( wet / dry ... VERY reasonable at a feed store

ALL are by product , chemical pres , artificial color/ flavor free .... MOST use natural vitamins many are food based ...

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mrs. Harris

I suggest you take a look at this following site: http://www.catinfo.org/, it covers the basis of cat nutrition. And gothicangel Nature’s Dentists sounds like a great product. I just searched the web for it but didn’t get a single hit. Where can I find Nature’s Dentists?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!! I'm going to get my baby some of those today, I knew I needed something corn-free but everything else was very new info and also very helpful!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mrs.Harris

Thanks guys!! I'm going to get my baby some of those today, I knew I needed something corn-free but everything else was very new info and also very helpful!!
Corn free may not be a need ... just make sure Corn is not the MAIN protein source... I dont particularly like corn but IT DOES help in making a food more UTI freindly... Mainly get away from the by products...

a quick food search on here... the blue ( on my screen) bar under your name clicke search put in ... cat nutrition, best food youll get a education and various opnions... I use a food with corn gluten meal for UTI health and it agrees with my girl...

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered trying to brush her teeth? I've used Oxyfresh pet gel on my three cats every other day and it really makes a difference with their breath and gums/teeth.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Have you considered trying to brush her teeth? I've used Oxyfresh pet gel on my three cats every other day and it really makes a difference with their breath and gums/teeth.
I just came from the oxyfresh site. It looks like it may be worth it to try. Do you use the toothbrush or do you just rub the toothpaste into their gums and teeth and how will do your cats tolerate this? If I decide to purchase this Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m afraid my money will be wasted because my cat wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allow me to use it on him.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noone mentioned Felidae.

I would get kitty in to have her teeth checked. She could have heavy tartar and or infected gums or a infected tooth.
Also as someone mentioned kidney disease causes acidotic breath, the cat has to be pretty bad though, you did not mention if kitty was drinking alot.