Help Keeping Cat Out of Crib

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to guess this would be the right place to post, as I am trying to alter the cats behavior (yeah, easier said that done, right?)

We finally have the crib set up and suddenly Ripley thinks this is his new bed. A few days went by and he didn't care... I was thrilled. Well... each time I come in the computer room he is in there now. How can I keep him out?? I want to be sure that he won't be in there once the baby finally arrives and I don't want to have to close the door all the time because it gets HOT in this room.

Any suggestions??? (Mosquito net doesn't help, he squeezes in still).

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could always fill the crib with toys!

Does your cat have it's own bed? If not, get one and put him in it along with his own toys.

alcool9999

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its oviously comfy in the crib so he likes it in there. set his bread up like the crib and put him in it.

It could be that he likes the room and thats just a place to sit.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry. In my experience cats do not like babies because they are loud (this is a good thing). Once your baby is in there I would bet the kitty stays far away.

My mother told me that this happened when I was a baby and worried needlessly -- once I arrived the cat stayed far away.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I wouldn't worry. In my experience cats do not like babies because they are loud (this is a good thing). Once your baby is in there I would bet the kitty stays far away.

My mother told me that this happened when I was a baby and worried needlessly -- once I arrived the cat stayed far away.
I think meow meow is right in this case. You cat will be too annoyed by what it would view as a loud, wiggly, stinky thing to bother with keeping that sleeping spot.
If it's just the quiet room and something soft to sleep in maybe you could set up something for the cat in a different mostly undisturbed room?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a couple of things you can try here. First off, change what it is that he likes about it. Go get cheap plastic placemats from the dollar store or your local Target/K-mart, etc, and then get the "sticky paws" double sided deterrent tape from your pet store. Put the tape on the placemats, and then put the placemats in the crib, so that all the surfaces are covered. I'd also put the tape itself on the crib rails, and any place his little paws touch when he jumps into it.

Sticky paws is much easier to remove than double sided tape (as I found out much to my consternation one day).. so I recommend that instead of the tape. You might try aluminum foil around the posts and along the edges, although cats can visibily see when the foil is no longer present but can't tell until they jump about the sticky paws. Once they figure out it's no longer what they liked... you'll probably have pretty good luck with him not getting up there.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to comment and say that CatsAreBetter gave great advice. There’s no way I can see your cat hopping his or her butt in the crib now.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! btw, this is also supposed to work for counter tops, or any other surface you want to break them of the habit of getting on top of. (this is the next step in my house, all my surfaces, crazy brats!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I will see about sticky paws but I might get the crib net... we get lots of buggies inside the house in the summer here in Korea.... might be the best bet to keep the cat and the bugs out!

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1st of all, congrats!! One thing that I had read about (when I was looking at getting a cat and getting pregnant at the same time) was to fill the crib with empty (obviously clean) soda-pop cans. Apparently cats don't like the feel or the sound of them, and they will eventually stop jumping in the crib. Otherwise, there is always aluminum foil. If I remember correctly, cats do not like the feel of it on their paws!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I washed all the bedding and filled the crib with baby 'things'.... what do I come home to??? Rip sleeping on the clothes and the toys.... he's so fat he probably didn't even feel the toys under there... ha ha ha

We have a bug net that we will put up once we move things around in here. Hopefully that helps....

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The placemats and sticky paws tape is working wonders for my cats and all the surfaces I don't want them on. If the net doesn't work, you may want to revisit the placemats idea.

Best of luck!