Friends allergic to cats

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So in a week and half I'm going back ti find us a home
To save travel money I'm renting a car and driving out there (I'm on a lease) and staying with my friends.

However, both of them are allergic to cats. I don't have a lot of funds to rent a hotel room, but will if both my friends get bad (one is more allergic than the other btw).

The plan we have right now is that I will wash my clothes at my parents house, who do not have cats. The rental car will be a bonus since there won't be pre-existing cat fur in there. I'll stop at my parents house and pick up the clothes I'm going to wear and possibly a small suitcase since our cats love to lay on ours

Once I get there I'll probably shower and wash the clothes that I have on me.

Is there anything I should take into consideration? I know it sounds like a lot to do, but I'm trying to save as much $$$ for this move. I'm going to be reimbursed...but later. I will have more funds coming to me, but right now I'm trying to keep things tight!

Thanks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as the allergics are concerned, that's THEIR problem, not yours. There are prescription drugs for this "problem" as well as sprays for fabrics, etc. and OTC's that claim to help with it. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that "problem" as I have friends who claim to be "allergic" but love their cats anyway -- it doesn't kill them, after all! A lot of people claim "allergy!" because they do not like cats. Anyway, it's their issue and they need to protect themselves against it, because in this world there are many sources of "allergy".

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

As far as the allergics are concerned, that's THEIR problem, not yours. There are prescription drugs for this "problem" as well as sprays for fabrics, etc. and OTC's that claim to help with it. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that "problem" as I have friends who claim to be "allergic" but love their cats anyway -- it doesn't kill them, after all! A lot of people claim "allergy!" because they do not like cats. Anyway, it's their issue and they need to protect themselves against it, because in this world there are many sources of "allergy".
well, thats got to be one of the most rude things ive ever read. i aplaud lunasmom for wanting to be thoughtful to her friends who are giving her a free place to stay to help her save money.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would confine the cats to one room and get a gallon of distilled water so you can comb or use a washcloth and put some of the water thru their coats EVERY day you are staying there.

Do they know you are bringing the cats?

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would confine the cats to one room and get a gallon of distilled water so you can comb or use a washcloth and put some of the water thru their coats EVERY day you are staying there.

i dont think she is bringing the cats. at least it doesnt sound like it.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some Fabreeze Allergen spray and spray everything you are going to bring in the house. This isn't a commercial for it, but it works. I have a friend who is allergic to cats so before she comes over, I lock the cats away, vacuum everywhere and then spray. It helps to keep the dander down.

I would also stock up on some OTC allergy meds, just in case.

PS...Thank you for caring about your friends so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not all people believe in taking Rx drugs to solve their "problems" and not all of the medications work for everyone. I understand your stance, however they are my friends and I like to take the time to make them comfortable as I will be a GUEST at their house.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

No cats, just cat hair

Originally Posted by Sweets

Get some Fabreeze Allergen spray and spray everything you are going to bring in the house. This isn't a commercial for it, but it works. I have a friend who is allergic to cats so before she comes over, I lock the cats away, vacuum everywhere and then spray. It helps to keep the dander down.

I would also stock up on some OTC allergy meds, just in case.

PS...Thank you for caring about your friends so much!
Thanks!!! I will definitely try that! I have an ALL version, but its 3 years old, so I don't know if its still good.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That might be an OK response if they were coming to stay with her, but she is going to their house as a guest. I think its great that you are taking so many precautions to make sure they are comfortable!
I would try to wash everything twice if possible just to be extra sure, cat hair can be tricky! Hope you have a good time!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't have a lot of sympathy for that "problem" as I have friends who claim to be "allergic" but love their cats anyway -- it doesn't kill them, after all!
Seriously, it can. It depends on how severe their allergy is. There is a very active member on this site who's brother passed away from a severe reaction to cat fur.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Seriously, it can. It depends on how severe their allergy is. There is a very active member on this site who's brother passed away from a severe reaction to cat fur.
DH and I have a friend whos whold body swells up because of his cat allergy. So when he's in town we meet him elsewhere! One time when he was dating a friend of mine he came to my parent's house and within just a few minutes he had to take a ring he had on off his hands were so puffy!

DH and I have used the Febreeze allergen reducer when his Dad comes to town. It did seem to help. I think your plan sounds good!

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're showering and washing your clothes in warm/hot water with soap, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
For things you can't wash, you can use those sticky things that get hair off or spot clean.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Although it can be a pet peeve of mine as well, this is just too harsh. I am seriously allergic to cats and while I am willing to deal with my allergies, I also have respect for guests coming to my home that aren't. My brother is very allergic to cats and I will spend a week "defurring" the house before he comes over. I wash the upholstery, etc. Yes, I invite him to my home and he has the option to decline, but on the same token he should be allowed to participate in family gatherings without being uncomfortable. It's a matter of respect. For some people the allergic reactions could result in hospitalization or death. As mentioned, one of our member's brothers did die from an allergic reaction to a cat.

Lunasmom, coming from an allergic person, they should be fine with the precautions that you are taking and it is very considerate of you to take this into account.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's just about everything you can do besides shaving the cats. Someone said something about it being "their problem". Yeah it is but she is also their guest and needs to take that into account, as she has done. My DH has cat allergies, but has had cats all his life. He takes a Claritin and he's fine. Not that either of us would give up Limerick for anything. He's willing to deal with his allergy for my kitty, who I swear loves him more then he loves me... it's too cute to watch them together. But that works for him, it may not work for others.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're great folks. A lot of other allergics wouldn't dream of abandoning their beloved family members, sniffles and red eyes or not. But for those who have castigated me for my post, I would invite them to go to their local AC&C and see the number of cats, kittens, and mother cats with babies being killed, off the charts these days, many of them for such reasons as: "having a baby!", "new husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other/whatever", "no time for!", and that old standby, "ALLERGIC" and before dissing me again, think of how harsh THAT is. There may be those who count a cat's life as less than a human's life or even a human's allergies, babies, partners, or interests of the moment, but I am not one of them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the update is that I'm now just staying in a hotel nearby. He kind of got a little washy with me about the allergies and staying with him and since its his g/f first week at work, apparently she's nervous about getting too sick.

So I just wrote back and said that I will just rent a hotel room and drive my car out instead of renting a car to drive. Then its less worry on both parties.

B thinks its something else. He thinks that the g/f may be the jealous type and doesn't want another woman staying in their condo that she doesn't know. I don't know this girl, so I am not assuming anything (although the thought did cross my mind).

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your doing the right thing - though I think you would have been a great guest. So thoughtful! I do think the methods you planned would have taken care of most of the allergens.

Allergies vary greatly from person to person. I am fortunate in that I have no animal allergies, though I am allergic to everything outdoors. Allergies can be an excuse or they can be the real deal. I have 12 kids at school with EpiPens - most have multiple ones because they react so severely.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Usually the allergens that are the real deal are because they aren't exposed to the pet dander on a daily basis. I'm sure that I'm probably allergic, but only on a mild enough case that I don't require meds or anything.

My friends on the other hand may be more allergic than I am since they never owned cats or are around any cats on a regular basis.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I applaud all that your doing. It's nice of you to go through all that, & it's nice of them to let you stay too.

You've honestly gone through alot more then most people would to make sure the cat hair isn't on you. Obviously you won't get it all off, but it's nice that your doing all that.. They should be fine.

My sister is really allergic to my cats, her eyes water, and she starts sneezing, and her chest gets all yucky, and she will take prescription drugs if she ever comes over. It's sad that people have to be allergic to the wonderful fur babies.. And it is a pet peeve of mine too, that I hate hearing i'm allergic to your cats, it's very upsetting.. But if it was my home, then too bad, don't come.. But since your visiting there home, and your the Guest.. Good for you too go out of your way to make sure not bring the cat hair in..

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's more or less a matter of respect. I view it the same idea as smoking. If I still smoke, I wouldn't do it around people that didn't like it.

I see where Tarasgirl stands, however they aren't giving up a cat or making me give up mine and I'm not bringing any cats with me.