Gps?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey does anyone here have a GPS for thei car? If so what is it?

Since we're relocating I'm seriously considering getting one, so any input would be great.

Also I'm looking for one that reroutes your trip (i.e. if you miss a turn it automatically recalculates and tells you where to turn next).

Thanks!!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use TeleNav from my cell phone. It has talking step-by-step directions with a moving map. It also has walking or driving mode. I love it! But I got it from Sprint and it's a subscription.

P.S. - It also gives you a new route if you miss a turn and says so for you. It also knows where the bad traffic and detours are too!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dh has looked at some but hasn't convinced me to buy one yet. He's asleep at the moment, but I'll post another reply tomorrow if he can think of any specific ones he liked. We do have one for hiking from Garmin. It shows some major roads and things, but not what you need it for unfortunately.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby bought a used low-end Garmin on Amazon.com for around $250.00. It has been nice for traveling. It worked great when we went to Atlanta last month. It did have some issues when we were in the mountains in CA in June though. Ours will re-route you if you miss a turn. Ours tells you when to turn but it does not give street names. You also have to download specific states on ours but you can change which states you have down-loaded according to what you need. I have no sense of direction and have found the directions provided by our GPS are generally easy to understand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I just bought one. It's a Garmin that does announce the street names. This will be good! I remembered that I got $5 off any amazon order in August, so that really helped.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

OK I just bought one. It's a Garmin that does announce the street names. This will be good! I remembered that I got $5 off any amazon order in August, so that really helped.
$5 off helped?

Had to cost a lot more than that right?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhh you'll love it - it's an absolutely must have if you move - takes the stress out of finding your way around!!

I think all GPS' reroute if you miss a turn - not all announce the street name though (ours doesn't), so you'll definitely find that handy.

Even now - close to 2 years after being here we use it. We obviously don't use it as much, but most new addresses we just plug into the GPS and let it do its thing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

$5 off helped?

Had to cost a lot more than that right?
If I can save $5, I'll use it. Basically it put the total price in one range of tens rather than the other. It's silly I know, but I'll take it!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the TomTom Go 910. We love it. It is expensive but DH was able to get a really good deal on it from Best Buy cause he was able to show that Wal-mart had it for much lower so they matched the price.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fried has one named "jack" if you miss a turn it says 'recalculateing' and finds you a different route. It's great although the british accent can get on your nerves after a while

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If I can save $5, I'll use it. Basically it put the total price in one range of tens rather than the other. It's silly I know, but I'll take it!
Aren't they around $400 though?
I just don't know if I would notice $5 on that amount, you know?

Oh well, congrats! Hope you love it!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah...the one I bought is on its way to be discontinued...so I got it for less then $300.