Paint color dilemna... part II

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Well, the main room of my apartment is now officially green. With work, spending a day at my parents, etc. it ended up taking a week to paint, but it's almost done. (I'm just waiting for my landlord to come by with the ladder so we can paint the part that's too high to reach otherwise)

I love the new color. It's a nice balance between relaxing and cheerful and it looks very natural.

So now that that's done, the next question arises... what color to paint my bedroom?

My bedroom is small and has one window. But it's not all that bright.
I'm planning on creating a little reading / meditation corner in that room. So I really want the room to feel peaceful and relaxing.

A few color options:

- blue.
I love blue. Problem is, my bed spread and my curtains are already blue. I would either have to find a blue that goes well with both, or change at least one (probably my bed spread then).
But then... what shade of blue? light, medium or dark?

- purple.
it could look very peaceful, but I'm afraid it would be too "girly" for my tastes. I love very dark purples, but I think it would be too dark for the room.

- beige / brown.
that would be difficult because the floor is hard wood (with all sorts of shades of beige/brown), so it's hard to find a beige that doesn't clash with the floor.

- brick red or wine red
these could make the room feel warm and inviting... but I'm not sure if it would feel relaxing enough?

Or any other ideas?

by the way, no pink (I hate pink), no green (one green room is enough) and no blueish green (I don't like that color either).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE just painted my roomie's bedroom an "Ice Blue." It is really calm and peaceful and looks good with his darker blue bedding.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose medium blue because my bedroom is blue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I want pictures of the green room!
Pleeeease?
I'll post pics soon. Right now it's still a mess.
I need to reorganize the furniture, which I can't really do until I paint the bedroom. Then I still have to go shopping for new curtains, lamps and some furniture.
It'll be nice when it's all done. I can't wait!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our bedroom is faux painted with Ralph Lauren's "denim" technique. So its a very light faded denim blue with "seams" stenciled on the wall. I like it as the windows are north and west.
I would recommend a lighter color -what about a sunny yellow or peach color??
If you go on Benjamin Moore's website they have rooms and you can change the color to see what they look like-its a helpful site.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with the blue and if your room is small, make it on the lighter side, as light colors maximize and dark colors minimize a space. If possible, bring home some paint chips and then you'll be able to find a blue you like with your existing textiles -- you shouldn't have to redecorate completely just to paint! I did this with a bathroom that has blue tiles around the tub and a completely different shade of blue on the sink -- and it works beautifully, because the textiles I chose have both shades of blue in them, and I've also put accent pieces in the room of various shades of blue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what do you think of "Icy Country"?
http://www.sico.ca/En/Couleur_Interi...eu_Palette.asp

I'd have to check with the actual sample card, but I think it would look fine with my bed spread and curtain.

It's a little "colder" than I thought I would go for, but seems relaxing. Plus I can warm it up with some nice lamps and candles.

Keep the advice coming.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not do a 2 toned color? Maybe a dark brown on the bottom and then a very light blue or sage color on the top with some chair molding separating the two? Or maybe a brown with a light purple?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with lighter blue cause you can always accent it with other colors and still keep the blue bedding

Blue is one of my fav colors anyway.

I like the "Frosty Desert" better then the one you picked.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

A few color options:

- blue.
I love blue. Problem is, my bed spread and my curtains are already blue. I would either have to find a blue that goes well with both, or change at least one (probably my bed spread then).
But then... what shade of blue? light, medium or dark?

- purple.
it could look very peaceful, but I'm afraid it would be too "girly" for my tastes. I love very dark purples, but I think it would be too dark for the room.

- beige / brown.
that would be difficult because the floor is hard wood (with all sorts of shades of beige/brown), so it's hard to find a beige that doesn't clash with the floor.

- brick red or wine red
these could make the room feel warm and inviting... but I'm not sure if it would feel relaxing enough?

Or any other ideas?

by the way, no pink (I hate pink), no green (one green room is enough) and no blueish green (I don't like that color either).
my bedroom is a very dark blue... i really like it! i don't think it makes the bedroom look small, at all. it's close to the 'new jeans' color.

of course, i prefer darker spaces to brighter spaces, in general.

oh, & beige of any shade is BORING! [jmnsho, of course!]

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you like it and it goes with your textiles, I'd say it's great! What do you think? It is definitely a cool, greyed-down blue; personally, as I'm black-haired and brown-skinned, I would go with a warm blue. But it depends on your hair and skin tone and your own preferences, as well as your textiles and accent pieces. Paint, like music, film, books, etc., is such a personal thing! So if it looks and feels good to you, I'd go with it! GOOD LUCK!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Are you near a home improvement store? I would recommend getting a whole bunch of paint samples across the whole spectrum (even colors you aren't sure of) and see what happens when you match them to your current decor.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frosty Desert is nice, but so close to white... how would you feel about just a touch more color? Maybe Icy Pass?

If it were my room, I'd choose Lighting Star... it seems so fresh and crisp.

But you're the one who'll be living with it... trust your own instincts!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of our house is white & cream, but the bathrooms are a baby/powder blue (sort of hard to describe) if it only has one window then a dark colour will make the room feel even smaller and darker. Even though you said a beige/brown would clash with the floor, i think that is the only colour that will go with your bedding in a small room, and blue walls will be overkill!

http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog...temsPerPage=68

68 shades of beige!! come and get it!!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We painted our bedroom "Sonata" by Behr. It's a very calm relaxing colour. We are currently in the process of doing the second coat of bright white paint on all the trim. It looks really sharp!

Before

and after (before the trim was painted white)