an acceptable answer?

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the Nutro company today because I had a question. I was curious to know why they use corn gluten as a source of protein. Why not make all the protein in the food come from meat? The reply was:

"It's not the corn itself, it's just the protein in the corn and it does no harm to the animal."

I said, "But why use plant based proteins? Cats are carnivores. Why not just use meat based proteins only?"

The reply was "It's just the way we have our formula set up. It's not the corn itself, it's the protein from the corn and it does no harm to the animal."

That was not the answer I was looking for. I did not ask the rep if corn gluten is harmful. I wanted more specifics about why they use it. What are the benefits of using corn gluten as opposed to using only meat based protein. I told the rep that's not a very good reason but I was just curious. I had to go to work so I ended the call. He could not even give me a specific reason for using this ingredient.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

I said, "But why use plant based proteins? Cats are carnivores. Why not just use meat based proteins only?"

The reply was "It's just the way we have our formula set up. It's not the corn itself, it's the protein from the corn and it does no harm to the animal."
Well the real answer is probably "because it's cheaper" but they aren't going to admit that!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. PM me
Not the first issues with them

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They (most food companies) have reps that are customer service people, they have a bank of answers to choose from, they pick one that matches the search terms they include.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See below for Nutro's "canned" no-answer answer to ConsumerAffairs.com questions in reference to the FDA's product import refusal of several Nutro products. Consumer Affairs said it took Nutro more than a week to respond to their numerous calls, and when they finally did, they didn't answer the actual questions:

http://www.itchmo.com/nutro-responds...s-in-july-2528

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

See below for Nutro's "canned" no-answer answer to ConsumerAffairs.com questions in reference to the FDA's product import refusal of several Nutro products. Consumer Affairs said it took Nutro more than a week to respond to their numerous calls, and when they finally did, they didn't answer the actual questions:

http://www.itchmo.com/nutro-responds...s-in-july-2528
HUMM that is very fishy as NONE of those products are for sale here if memory serves they are EU items... that would cause an uproar at port post 9-11.. No the American CS would NOT know about EU stuff.. I found that out by calling for someone on here and getting no where

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

They (most food companies) have reps that are customer service people, they have a bank of answers to choose from, they pick one that matches the search terms they include.
Ya ...
... this one probably knows nothing about nutrition and that was the only script he had on corn. I'll bet it was like getting a pre-recorded answer.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was under the impression that Nutro was high quality food, is that not correct?
I bought it after high praises at a specialty animal feed store.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany

I was under the impression that Nutro was high quality food, is that not correct?
I bought it after high praises at a specialty animal feed store.
It is a true premium food ...

Personally I dont like their 800 number and have had numerous folks complain to me about it ...

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is a true premium food ...

Personally I dont like their 800 number and have had numerous folks complain to me about it ...
OH OK. I haven't ever had to call them, but thats good to know for the future.