Question about homes with cats and dogs:

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is officially my first time posting in the Cats and Other Animals Forum.
The only animal I have is PHX... but me and my boyfriend broke up so I have been living with my dad. My dad has 2 Australian Shephards and 1 cat (indoor/outdoor).

Here's my dilema- PHX is an indoor cat, so he has a kitty litter box. But the two Australian Shephards think they need to drag the poop out of the box and around the room. I think they might be eating it too. How do I prevent this? Is there anything I can do? Sometimes I wish PHX was an inside/outside cat like my dad's that way I don't have to worry about kitty litter boxes any more!!!

If you could help me, that would be great! Thank you so much!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All dogs love kitty poop

Our litter box area has a baby gate prevent the dog from getting in there.
It's raised about 4-6 inches so the kitties can crawl under or over if they like.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhhh......doggies snacking in the litter box......ya, that happens!! I've read about other people solving this by locating the litter box somewhere a cat can get at it, but the dogs can't. Like in another room with a cat-sized opening, or baby gates in the doorway. Do you think PHX will use a covered box? You might check out the Booda Dome. It's got a ramp and a curved entrance, which makes it difficult for a dog to stick his snout in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might be able to use a covered box. I'm just looking for a quick, temporary thing to get them away from there. I'm looking for my own apartment right now, so pretty soon it will just be me and PHX living on our own...happy as can be!

I'll ask my dad if he has a baby gate... he hasn't had kids around in awhile, but maybe he has one stored somewhere. That may work!

Thanks guys!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep my litter box under the sink, when one of the cats needs to use it, they open the door and go in and use the box. (They know how to open the door!)

My previous dog used to eat poop too.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, don't do that to your cat.. The best fix is to put the litterbox up high,, like on top of a table.. The dog will leave it alone.. If they won't leave it alone,, Then get one of those boxes with a lid on it (like a Rubbermaid) and put that on the table, it has a small hole that the cat has to jump into there is no way the dogs will get in that..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put a baby gate or some kind of barrier around the litter pans so the dogs can get to them but the cats can. Or get covered litter pans.

Keno's been trained to stay out of the side of the room the litter pan is on, so we don't have to worry about that. IMO your father's dogs can be trained to stay away if you both work on it.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You could put a baby gate or some kind of barrier around the litter pans so the dogs can get to them but the cats can. Or get covered litter pans.

Keno's been trained to stay out of the side of the room the litter pan is on, so we don't have to worry about that. IMO your father's dogs can be trained to stay away if you both work on it.
Yeah, that would work. But the thing is- I'm not going to be living there that long. It's just a temporary stay- until I get my own apartment. *cross fingers that this happens soon*So, once I get my own place- it will just be PHX again!

Thank you everyone for your help. Here I thought ONLY my dad's dogs did this. Glad I'm not alone....haha! Hey, at least I don't have to scoop so much!HAHAHAA
JK!

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 4 dogs, and we do what others have mentioned. The cats have their own bedroom that has a baby gate at the door. This way they can eat, use the litter box in peace, or just have a place to get away.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to try the baby gate route, check out some second hand shops or garage sales. My parent's had problems with that and basically did what others have already mentioned.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh... kitty crunchies are loved by dogs. Both my Alaskan Malamutes (they have crossed the Rainbow Bridge) enjoyed them so we had to put the boxes under a table and drape towels over the edge of the table to hide the boxes. We had a fake box out in the open that our masters only used to liquids. So it was sniff sniff sniff... oh nothing here for me.

drat.... those cats never go

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Regular covered litter boxes are not the answer, the dogs will poke their heads in the hole with no problem. I use baby gates for two boxes. The third one is between a radiator and piano, facing a wall. I put two iron doorstops behind it. That deters my dog and if he persists, the doorstops will fall over which is a great alarm and scares him, he leaves that one alone now.

Dogs.....

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was lucky enough to have my dog since she was 8 weeks old and the training began immediately to respect the cats and their umm...stuff! LOL
This was posted on another forum I am on...I have never tried this and can't take credit for it, but it looks like a great idea. It's a dog crate with a piece of lattice on one side with a hole just big enough for a kitty, not a doggie.
Good luck!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuleNag

I was lucky enough to have my dog since she was 8 weeks old and the training began immediately to respect the cats and their umm...stuff! LOL
This was posted on another forum I am on...I have never tried this and can't take credit for it, but it looks like a great idea. It's a dog crate with a piece of lattice on one side with a hole just big enough for a kitty, not a doggie.
Good luck!
Wow, that looks like a good idea.
Thanks for sharing it....