Super agressive, ferile cat...help!

mummyscurse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, to one and all in this forum. This is my first post. Although it's probably better "form" to post a short message introducing myself first, my girlfriend and I have a problem with a ferile kitten that she rescued, which is so severe that we are even considering giving him up to a no-kill shelter nearby. I have a lot of experience with cats, and love them dearly, while my girlfriend is both mildly allergic and has no fondness for them, at all. Yet it is she who rescued this kitty, barely two weeks old, by our vet's estimation, at the time she spotted him near her office, and decided to bring him home.

He is the most playful kitten (now three months old) that I have ever been around, but his play often turns into very painful biting and scratching. We have tried every remedy and suggestion that internet searches have turned up, with little to show for it other than more bloody attacks. He is a dear thing when he's sleepy, or in the mood for affection, but you just never know when he'll go for your legs, or will bite uncontrollably upon any attempts to pick him up. Having read a few posts in this forum, could I ask for some input on three areas that may represent some hope, long term, or at least until maturity might moderate this behavior significantly?

First, I read about a pheromone atomizer called Feliway. Has anyone used Feliway successfully to moderate aggressive behavior, not just to prevent spraying?

Second, has anyone used St. John's Wort successfully, and if so can you recommend a doseage (I will be stopping at our vet's office for counsel on this subject, as well)?

Third, we are hearing and reading mixed reports on the effects of neutering on male kitten behavior. Is there a consensus here on whether we should hold out any hope that his aggression will be at all reduced after his "family jewels" are removed? As a footnote, is there any feeling about early castration for males? Our vet is a believer in the "six months old" rule of thumb, with respect to castration, but I'm also aware that there are vets who are not opposed to earlier removal.

Any help or advice that you kind folks can offer would be so very appreciated. I am such a sappy animal lover, and cat lover in particular, that it breaks my heart to think that we may have to give up on "Einstein", if some solutions cannot be found. My girlfriend seems to be bearing the brunt of his ankle attacks, and she only has so much blood she can spare. :-)

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Mummyscure. Welcome to TCS. You'll find tons of great info here and many many helpful people with great advice. Nice to see someone else from Florida on here, too.

I just took in an orphaned feral kitten last week. He's about 6 weeks now. His playing is also agressive and he has broken skin a few times, but he's not too too bad.

I have read that single kittens do have a tendency to bite, so this is something you'll have to learn to control.

I have about 6 different toys for Kink. A few he can kick around, a mouse he can attack and a long stuffed toy he wrestles to the ground and bunny kicks. Whenever he goes for my hand, I squeal like a littermate who has been bitten too hard and quickly give him a toy to release his kitty energy onto. If the squealing doesn't work, I blow a small puff of air at him and when he blinks and gets confused for a split-second I give him a toy.

I make sure I play with him a lot and remind anyone else who plays with him to not let him bite skin, only toys.

It'll take patience, but I hope you can keep the little guy. I'm sure someone else can provide great advice as well.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, maybe this is radical, but short term might work. Would your friend consider using something like Bitter apple spray on her ankles when she's at home (presuming it washes right off) until the cat gets that it tastes bad? How about not trying to pick him up unless really necessary, and then wearing gloves? So much changes as they grow, and neutering will help whenever it's done. I bet you can find a vet who'll consider doing it at 5 mos. if not sooner (you don't want to have it wrong over a few wks after all if you stick it out that long). Another answer is another kitten for him to take out his crazies on, so is a big busy cat tree. For what it's worth, at 2 wks of age (orig.) I doubt if his feral nature would have any bearing on things (or predict difficult times). Good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome. Einstein sounds like a handful.

Since you got him so young, he never had the opportunity to be taught his manners by the momma cat so you need to do it.

There is a myriad of information in this behaviour forum on your problem, but the gist of it is that you must teach him that his biting/scratching is unacceptable.

When he bites or scratches, try hissing at him like another cat would do. Don't pull away quickly as this indicates that you want him to chase and play with the object being pulled away (your hand or foot). Stop immediately and yell OUCH loudly to let him know it hurts. You will need to do this for awhile until he gets the message. Our Bijou was terrible about chasing my legs and grabbing/biting my ankles and legs. Fortunately he grew out of it and now is so gentle you wouldn't believe it's the same cat.

You will need patience and kindness. Also clip his claws so that at least he won't be ripping you or your girlfriend to shreds.
I use a human nail clipper and find it easier for me than the ones they make specially for cats. We also play with and touch our kitties paws from an early age to get them used to having them touched which makes nail clipping so much easier.

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, thanks for rescuing a feral!

So you've had him for 2 weeks thru 12 weeks. Sounds like he's having loads of fun researching the best uses for his claws/teeth. Normally with youngsters, they have littermates and mom to tell them "OUCH, STOPPPITTTT!" when they get too vivacious.

Our 3y/o was actually notorious for being a little bitey/feisty until we brought in our second (a feral, actually) and now they have fun wrestling matches. A buddy might be good for your little one. Kittens usually learn pretty quickly that if they hurt a playmate, playtime is over.

If that's totally out of the question (I know you mentioned your gf had allergies), you have to take the place of mom/littermates. Biting resulting in you/your gf saying "OUCH" and a timeout (you want to reinforce that biting you/your gf=not all that fun for him).

Also, tire him out with toys (ones on the end of a wand that keep him far away from your body parts are your best friend here) and make sure you are consistent with what are toys/not (my so and his dad used to enjoy trying to wrestle my 3y/o with their hands and they just encouraged poor behavior).

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mummyscurse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou, so much, for all the kind responses. I'm trying to find some of the pictures we've taken of "Einstein", but for all my self-professed organizational abilities, I'll be darned if I can locate the folder I put 'em in. For now, here are some pics of my other kitties, Cleo and Angel. Cleo is, by far, the "coolest" and most intelligent kitty I've ever been blessed to call my friend. Angel, on the other hand, is the neediest kitty I've ever had. She just soaks up love and attention, and has since she was a baby.

Cleo

Angel

Cleo & Angel

We purchased a Fliway imitator, called Nutri Vet Pet Ease Pheromone Plus, which actually has a 3% solution of pheromones, and adds a measure of St. John's wort, all at a lower price. If we get some sense that it seems to be helping, I'll post that report. We also purchased some St. John's Wort, but are trying to determine what might be a safe dosage for a 12 week old kitten. If either, or both, of these approaches bears fruit, I'll happily share the info. I am still hoping to hear what others may have experienced, using Fliway or St. John's wort, or both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mummyscurse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Get to PLAY with Cleo or Angel"....hmmmm, how should I answer that? :-)

Actually, only Angel is with me here in SE Florida, having recently moved from Michigan to be with my long time girlfriend, who I've been flying down to be with, as often as possible. Cleo is being looked after by my brother, to whom she is very attached. She is very much of an outdoors cats, confining herself, faithfully, to the perimeter of our fenced yard and garden. My brother and I put out food for any needy stray that happens by (a lovely Main Coon and a muscular black male currently are "regulars" at the feeding station). Cleo takes it as her sacred duty to act as overseer of her domain, spending 23 hours a day outdoors, during nicer weather. I would not dream of confining her to a condo, even one that has a screened patio, as this one has. Madelyn and I hope to find a home with a yard in the coming year. At that point, I will seriously consider having Cleo join us, and take control of a new domain (only if the yard is cat proof fenced). I would not risk having her stray in a foreign environment.

Angel, on the other hand, really has suffered during my absences, so when Einstein opened Madelyn's heart to kitties, I asked if Angel might join us here. The drives to and from the airports, and the flight, itself, were terrible ordeals for such a nervous, timid kitty, but she is loving it here. As for your question about playing together, regrettably, Angel is making matters worse. She does not seem to care much for Einstein, and follows him like a stalker. There have been a number of hissy fit fights, with no blood shed, and Einstein has a healthy fear of her. Little does Angel know that he will soon surpass her in size, and "what goes around, comes around". She's acting the part of a bully now, but once Einstein reaches maturity, she'll be forced to cool her jets. "Play" together....the answer to that is a resounding "NO"! :-)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Hi and welcome. Einstein sounds like a handful.

Since you got him so young, he never had the opportunity to be taught his manners by the momma cat so you need to do it.

There is a myriad of information in this behaviour forum on your problem, but the gist of it is that you must teach him that his biting/scratching is unacceptable.

When he bites or scratches, try hissing at him like another cat would do. Don't pull away quickly as this indicates that you want him to chase and play with the object being pulled away (your hand or foot). Stop immediately and yell OUCH loudly to let him know it hurts. You will need to do this for awhile until he gets the message. Our Bijou was terrible about chasing my legs and grabbing/biting my ankles and legs. Fortunately he grew out of it and now is so gentle you wouldn't believe it's the same cat.

You will need patience and kindness. Also clip his claws so that at least he won't be ripping you or your girlfriend to shreds.
I use a human nail clipper and find it easier for me than the ones they make specially for cats. We also play with and touch our kitties paws from an early age to get them used to having them touched which makes nail clipping so much easier.
Exactly that. I've not met a kitten pulled from its mother before it's time to leave her that didn't have some type of oral fixation and most will bite unless you act as their mom and teach them that it is bad manners. Think of yourself as the mom cat and reprimand as they would. A friend of mine had a deaf kitten with this problem and had to resort to a light tap on his nose (and I mean light) to catch his attention. She also helped his oral fixation by rubbing his gums with her finger. He just wanted something in his mouth.