Three cigarettes left.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you guys, I have three cigarettes left and then I'm going to attempt to quit. I'm really scared that I can't do it because I have no will power. At least I know I have lots of support here.
I'm quitting because it's too exspensive now and frankly I just feel tired of smoking. Oh, and Diego, I hope you're still going strong. Wish me luck everyone.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as I'm typing this, you have no replies so hopefully I get to be the first if I can type fast enough.

First I will start by saying
OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!
Second, I am going to be monitoring your progress so you gotta keep this thread UTD ok.
Third, will power is totally over rated, I had no will power, I totally didn't still don't want to quit but hey, I haven't had a cigarette yet. Just stock up on lots of chewing gum or pixie sticks. {I think your in the U.S and thats what you call them}
Fourth, if you need extra support, I am just a PM away. Remember today is only day 15 for me, so I am still right there with you.
And finally since this is becoming longer than I expected.
IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN TOO!

GOOD LUCK

DISCLAIMER: I didn't know which smilies or colours to use so.......

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 Month, 6 Days, 11 hours, 41 minutes and 50 seconds for me

It really sucks and its really hard, but you can do it. If I can, anyone can. I do still want one several times a day, but its not an intense need like it was at first. Just get through the first few days and you will be ok.

Drink lots of water and fruit juice. Chew gum, eat licorice, something low fat. Go for a run. Anything, just keep busy.

Good luck!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do this. The first week is the hardest. My hubby and I quit smoking a little over 2 years ago. We too quit for financial reasons. My hubby chews gum like crazy. He replaced the cigarettes with sugarless gum. Sugarless gum is much better for your health and much cheaper than cigarettes. I too am someone who lacks will power. I too would like to offer my support. Please keep us updated and don't be afraid to reach out to others if you need to vent or just need someone to talk to.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can do it!! 1 year 9 months 4 days for me!! It is nothing now. I don't even want one. I can sit outside with smokers and it doesn't bother me at all. Well, the smell bothers me, but that is beside the point. Good Luck! You can do it!!

by the way, I used the patch. I believe it works.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit two months ago using the nicotine inhalators. I'd make sure you have some form of NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) before quitting- patches, gum or the like

Good luck

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on making the decision - I support it wholeheartedly!
Keep us updated on your progress...and remember, we're all here for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of weening myself off. I'm such an uptight person that gets irritated very easy. That makes it extra hard. I don't see how people do it. Still, I'm gonna try.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do it!!! I quit cold turkey two days after I turned 18 ... so we're at about 2 years, 6 months, 12 days and some odd hours/minutes/seconds. Good luck!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm thinking of weening myself off. I'm such an uptight person that gets irritated very easy. That makes it extra hard. I don't see how people do it. Still, I'm gonna try.
I reckon those 3 cigarettes must be finished by now eh.

So hows it going?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I reckon those 3 cigarettes must be finished by now eh.

So hows it going?
Like I said, I'm going to ween myself off. I'm too easily aggitated to just stop. Regardless I have to completely quit by the first cuz that's the date I set for my doctor. I go see him on the 14 and he's gonna want to know. So, between now and the first, which is like two days away, it's ween time.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

That is the WORST way to do it. You end up in constant nicotine withdrawal that is dragged out for a long period of time, rather than over with in a couple days. Not to mention that it just doesn't work.

The only way to quit, is to just not have any more cigarettes.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, I discovered that if I know I can't smoke cuz I'm trying to quit then I start thinking about cigarettes all the time. If I ween myself than they aren't on my brain so much and I don't crave one so bad. I only have a day and a half and then its no cigarettes period. I hope.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright. The "NO MORE SMOKING EVER" thing freaks a lot of people out and makes it harder for them to quit. This is how I coped with that:

When I set my date, that was it. I told myself then that I could eventually have a cigarette... but not right now. I can have one when I go camping next summer.... but not right now. I can have one in several months when I go out drinking with my friends, but not right now. I told myself things like that all of the time. It helped with the long term part. I never really wanted to smoke at those times.... ok, yeah, I planned on it. THat is the only way I was able to make it. I just told myself that someday I could have another cigarette, but not right now. After short time, I stopped thinking about that. I was able to focus on the "I've done it for this long, why start again?".

I have to admit I kept 4 emergency cigarettes. I quit on Monday. The next Sunday I smoked 1/2 of one. I sneaked it. Like a kid. Didn't want my DH to see that I smoked. I didn't tell anyone. I think maybe the following Sunday I finished that stale, half smoked cigarette. It wasn't very tasty at all. I still had the "idea" that I wanted one again....someday. I quit on October 31. I went camping with my DH and MIL the next July. They both smoke, so I took one of my MIL cigarettes and snuck up to the bathrooms and lit it. This was only 8 months after I quit and that was the nastiest taste I can imagine. I brushed my teeth several times, and could taste it for days.

The cravings stopped. I no longer want one at all. If the craving arises again, I will deal with it then. A couple of weeks ago, we drove 12 hours to go to a funeral. While we were standing outside with the smokers, I mentioned that I wanted one. No one heard me. It was OK though, because I didn't really want one, it was just the stress of the time.

Take it in days. MAYBE I can have one tomorrow, but not right now. MAYBE I can have one next week, but not right now. etc. That is seriously how I coped with the mental part, because that is a BIG part.

Also, I didn't so much do the gum thing. I used the patch when I quit. I took a drinking straw, and cut it in half. It was about the size of a cigarette. I held it between my fingers like it was a cigarette, took drags off of it, flicked imaginary ashes off of it. I had one in my car, and one in my purse. When I was in my car, I did exactly as I normally would, except I wouldn't have to "light" my cigarette. I did drive down the road and take drags off of it though.... flicked the ashes out the window. hehehe

When I was with my smoker friends, I wasn't ready to miss out on whatever was going on outside. I had my "cigarette" in my purse, and I would sit outside with them and socialize. I smoked my imaginary cigarette until we were ready to go back inside. Like I said, I was on the patch, so I wasn't having "withdrawal" cravings, I was having "mental" ones. I broke the "mental" habit of smoking in car, with friends, etc. in about a week. I kept myself on the patch for 3 weeks, and when I came off of it, I carried a couple with me at all times... just in case. If that urge was too much for me to handle, I was ready.

Some people choose to chew on things (straws, pencils, gum) but that wasn't the habit I was trying to break. I didn't want to start a new one either. I was a smoker. I was "smoking" my "straw" until that went away.

I hope this wasn't too long or boring, but this is how I did it.

I quit 1 year 9 months 4 weeks, 2 days 45 minutes ago right now.

You can do it too. It is a LOT mental. Good luck!!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your post was too long Samantha. I think it's good advice. Thank you.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why I didn't see the updates here earlier. It never showed up when I clicked the new post button. I actually went to CL to find this thread to ask for an update.

Anyway its the 1st here already so not long left for you eh.

I must say though you have a great inventive or motive to quit, if your Dr has told you to, I imagine that you may have health issues. {I'm not being nosey, its just a thought and I could be wrong. You don't need to respond to that statement
}

Good luck again.

Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Also, I didn't so much do the gum thing. I used the patch when I quit. I took a drinking straw, and cut it in half. It was about the size of a cigarette. I held it between my fingers like it was a cigarette, took drags off of it, flicked imaginary ashes off of it. I had one in my car, and one in my purse. When I was in my car, I did exactly as I normally would, except I wouldn't have to "light" my cigarette. I did drive down the road and take drags off of it though.... flicked the ashes out the window. hehehe

When I was with my smoker friends, I wasn't ready to miss out on whatever was going on outside. I had my "cigarette" in my purse, and I would sit outside with them and socialize. I smoked my imaginary cigarette until we were ready to go back inside.
I remember this from my thread. I gotta ask, did your friends make fun of you?
I would have been LMAO at you if you sat with me and smoked a straw

actually I'd be a donkey hole {you know the word} and offer you a real smoke.

Funny thing though, whilst reading your post again, I remembered my childhood, when we used to have a real Christmas tree, and me and my bro would wait til the pine needles had browned up, then we would smoke them. Very tasty as I recall. Crazy thoughts.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't have health problems. My dr. wants me to quit before I do. One thing I've got going for me is I'm actually forgetting to smoke. For example, I'll think that after I unload the dishwasher I'll have a puff. By the time I'm done I've forgotten all about having one.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I weened myself and it worked fine for me. When my dad quit he kept a pack in his pocket and gave it a sniff when he had a craving... that I couldn't do!

You'll be fine! If you really want it then you'll be able to quit.