My vaccum is crud

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I shouldn't complain because I got it at a garage sale for 30 bucks. I tried it out there and it worked pretty good. Well now the darn brush won't roll. I asked the DH to please look at it and he's like "you're good at figuring stuff out, you look at it. He's the fric n man of the house he should help me if I have a problem. Uggggg, he pees me off sometimes.

karl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the motor runs but the brush doesn't turn, it's probably just the belt. Turn the vacuum over and loosen the screws that hold on the cover panel. Remove the roller and extract the old belt. You can find a replacement at most any chain store that sells new vacuums. Take the old belt with you to the store. When you reinstall it, be sure to flip the old belt onto your DH's lap and say, "Done. Piece of cake."

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually sounds like the belt may be off of the beater brush, pretty easy to fix.
But yeah, he could have at least looked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Karl

If the motor runs but the brush doesn't turn, it's probably just the belt. Turn the vacuum over and loosen the screws that hold on the cover panel. Remove the roller and extract the old belt. You can find a replacement at most any chain store that sells new vacuums. Take the old belt with you to the store. When you reinstall it, be sure to flip the old belt onto your DH's lap and say, "Done. Piece of cake."
Thank you Karl. Now can you give me the motivation to do all that?

karl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Thank you Karl. Now can you give me the motivation to do all that?
The only motivation you'll need is the exquisite look of stunned incredulity on your husband's face when it registers with him that you fixed the vacuum. Glad I could help.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, sounds like the power nozzle brush belt broke. You can get new belts for pretty cheap (probably 1 or 2 dollars) at a vacuum shop. You just have to let them know the make and model of the vacuum.

They're pretty easy to change to.

Sometimes the belt on a brush will last months, sometimes they last only a few weeks. Not sure why, but there was a period I was having to change the belt in my vacuum every couple weeks. This last belt I put in has lasted about 2 months or so so far.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got a new vacuum... the Bissell Healthy Home. I read tons of reviews before buying it. I paid $189 for it on eBay. Yes, a lot, but it's going to be worth it!!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a new vacuum when I got my tax check.. I bought the Dyson Animal.
. It rocks.. Sucks like you wouldn't believe it.. I've had it now for 8 months, and hasn't lost suction yet... And trust me,, I go through vacuum each year..

It was pricey,, but was worth it... I put money back from my tax check for it.. IT was a smart investment..