Stumpy update

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've been following my posts, you may know that Stumpy is a hyperactive, bored, destructive kitty when she wants to be (which unfortunately is pretty regularly).

I just went and spoke with my regular vet (I've now spoken with 3 vets and an animal behaviourist), and I've run out of reasonable options. She's bored, seeking attention by acting out and nothing I can do is enough to keep her stimulated.

There is no drugs they can recommend since she is not aggressive (she is a friendly, affectionate kitty), and not peeing inappropriately or anything like that.

So I'm left with 2 choices - let her outside during the day and see if that is enough extra stimulation for her or rehome her.

Neither option is very appealing to me... But I have to do something, and soon.

So... is there anyone out there who thinks they may have a more stimulating kitty environment and may be interested in adopting her? She really is a nice kitty, she just gets easily bored and needs a more fun environment. She gets along with every other cat she has ever met, isn't aggressive, loves people and isn't a lap cat, and doesn't like being held, but loves being nearby and will follow you around. She'd be best in an indoor only home with other kitties, and preferably children of an age who would play with her without pulling her fur out or driving her nuts...

I'd pay all fees associated with getting her to you, and would pay all fees associated with taking her back if for any reason it didn't work out. She will only go to a home where I have spoken to the potential adopter and approved them.

This is terribly heartbreaking for me to even think about, but I truly believe this is the best option for her. If you want to try and flame me for rehoming her, please search for my previous posts about my problems, then if you still have issues, PM me (ie. in private, not here).

In the meantime I'm going to get her up to date with her shots for going outside and start letting her outside for short unsupervised walks and see how she goes. I really don't want to let her outside with all the risks in the big, bad world, but it's my only other option right now. If it seems to settle her down, then I'll continue to allow her outside during the day rather than rehoming her.

Thanks all for your understanding...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Sarah...

I know you only want what's best for her.

Sending many that the right situation presents itself.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweetie, i'm so sorry *hugs* i know i can't be helpful, but hopefully someone will be able to assist you and your baby

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sarah,

Sometimes doing the best thing for our kitties means doing things that we don't want to.

I don't recall your living situation...but is there any way to put up a cat-fence or enclosure so she has the outdoors but can stay safely in your yard?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes doing the best thing for our kitties means doing things that we don't want to.

You could try speaking to Anakat, she has a set up in her garden that doesn't allow her kitties to go outside boundaries she sets but isn't electric shock based. Or an enclosure (not sure if you have your own garden)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are in a townhouse complex, with a tiny back balcony that can't be enclosed, so unfortunately that isn't an option.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all know that this is a tough decision for you, and you should not be judged harshly or flamed for it. It is is a decision none of us would want to have to make. Sometimes doing what is best is what feels the worst.
I hope you find the perfect furrever home for her soon.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!

I know you have worked really hard on this.

What about those friends of yours with the ranch that you went to not long ago? It seems like there is lots of room there for her to run and play and chase things and be entertained. Plush you would be able to visit her sometimes too. Or are the dogs a problem?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen your other posts about your problems with her. You say she's sweet, affectionate, gets along with other cats et et . What does she do that makes you feel she's not doing well in your house? I mean, what are her downsides?

I think she's a beautiful cat, and I hate to see you have to get rid of her. Is she destructive around the house? I'd be used to that, because my Bengal Simba, and my Siamese cat Shane can be somewhat destructive. I mean Shane knocks everything down as quickly as I put them back up, and has a ball pulling out all of my DVD's into big piles in the middle of the floor.

I hope for whatever is best for you and Stumpy works out for you. I'm sorry she isn't working out for you.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw hon
no one would flame you for trying to do what's best for her. Sounds like she needs some high-energy companions or a place where she can safely go outside (like an enclosure). Here's some good that you find her a great new home.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I haven't seen your other posts about your problems with her. You say she's sweet, affectionate, gets along with other cats et et . What does she do that makes you feel she's not doing well in your house? I mean, what are her downsides?

I think she's a beautiful cat, and I hate to see you have to get rid of her. Is she destructive around the house? I'd be used to that, because my Bengal Simba, and my Siamese cat Shane can be somewhat destructive. I mean Shane knocks everything down as quickly as I put them back up, and has a ball pulling out all of my DVD's into big piles in the middle of the floor.

I hope for whatever is best for you and Stumpy works out for you. I'm sorry she isn't working out for you.
Here is her thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138906

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139616

There have been other threads where she has mentioned Stumpy's destructive nature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Like I said - she's a wonderful kitty, but she gets destructive out of boredom, and it's usually in the room I'm in, so I know it's attention seeking. I can't do enough for her.

Today though I got her some bells for her collar and an extra ID tag and let her outside twice - first time for about an hour, second time for about 2 hours. She seemed to stay pretty close to out back balcony, and DH was working from home today, and said as soon as I came in the front door she ran to the back door wanting to come in.

She's also seemed pretty calm while inside as well. So maybe I can just keep letting her out during the middle of the day when the complex is quiet and I'm home, and she can just enjoy that. If I let her out when it's warm out, at least I know she won't go too far...