Funny look alike piece of litter on cat's paws???

minou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Haven't posted in a while so Hello again everybody!! My little Turkish Angora 'wannabe' is growing so beautifully, I need to add pictures to his page.

Anyway, I made a discovery tonight while I was clipping his nails...his front paw pads (both paws, first toe) have what looks like a little piece of litter imbedded in the skin of the pad's paw, that is on the 1st toe after the dewclaw. Isn't that weird? My other kitties do not have that, anyone knows what it is?

I took out my tweeser and tried to pull it out LOL....(no worries I was gentle) until I noticed it couldn't be removed and it was identical on the other foot pad too.

Minou

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning I checked kitty's nails and discovered another of those 'things' on another pad and this one was almost 1/4" long! As you can imagine, I sort of freaked out and decided to do a deep online search on this and I found it is called 'horned paws' and thought I would share with you in case you ever see this.

My kitty is all white, med hair with blue eyes. His front paws are just like the middle pics with the white paws on the link below:

Just wanted to show you what I was trying to describe in my 1st post.

http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm

Minou

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitty Simon (who is a black and white tuxedo) also has a couple of those on his paw pads, I discovered them years ago. They don't really seem to change shape or grow or anything. Since they don't bother him, I've never bothered to try to remove them, if he's ok with 'em, I am too.

Originally Posted by minou

Well, this morning I checked kitty's nails and discovered another of those 'things' on another pad and this one was almost 1/4" long! As you can imagine, I sort of freaked out and decided to do a deep online search on this and I found it is called 'horned paws' and thought I would share with you in case you ever see this.

My kitty is all white, med hair with blue eyes. His front paws are just like the middle pics with the white paws on the link below:

Just wanted to show you what I was trying to describe in my 1st post.

http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm

Minou

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear other kitties have them also!

I will admit when I found the 'long' one this morning, I panicked. It was so long and all kind of thoughts was going through my head.... maybe it was cancer and they were going to have to declaw him, perhaps cut his two front paws!... silly when I think of it now! LOL...LOL...

The other horns on his paw pads are really tiny but the long one was scarry. I trimmed it with my nail clipper and nothing happened - just like it says in the link.

Minou