Questions about our new kitten

abiza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I recently adopted a 5 month old orange tabby from animal services. Neither of us have ever had a cat, but our 3 year old daughter really wanted one so we finally gave in. We are really glad we did because we absolutely love him! He is very playful and loving and lots of fun. However, some of his behaviors have me completely baffled.

The first issue is that he constantly licks us. Whenever anyone is petting him he just starts licking, usually on the hands and he won't stop. He gets mad if you take your hand away and will attempt to grab your hand with his paws and pull it back to him. If you let him continue to lick he will eventually gently start biting you. My first thoughts are maybe he was weened to early, but it really isn't like he is trying to nurse so I dont know. We know nothing about his life before he came to us.

The second issue is the one that is really causing a problem. He doesnt like to be left alone and meows loudly when there isn't a human in the room with him. During the day this isn't a problem because he is really part of the family and isn't alone often. At night is another story. If we leave our bedroom doors open he will jump all over us, start licking us and purring, and no one gets any sleep. If we shut the doors he spends most of the night sitting in the hall meowing and wakes everyone up. I've never seen a cat who is so vocal! Sorry this post is so long. I really want to better understand Gizzy's behviors and, honestly, I need some sleep! Any help would be very much appreciated.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, on a primitive level, is he craving SALT? Not necessarily sodium, but other minerals?

More behaviorally, he may just still be getting over a LOT of neglect and is feeling needy. How long ago did you get him, and how long was he in a shelter? Sometimes this overreactive stuff subsides over time. And, poor guy (okay I am overindulgent maybe) -- you are trying to make him sleep ALONE?

Have you considered getting him another cat, to lick?
And sleep with ...

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with getting another cat. A lot of the neediness and energy might be spent on a playmate. I happen to have an orange tabby male (adopted when he was 4 mo.s old) and he's a real character!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your cat needs something to do. Since you've never had a cat before, you should buy your cat some items hes interested in (if you haven't already) like a cat scratcher, some cat toys, or maybe even make a small area in your house for him (even if its just a corner). Give him some of your extra blankets, pillows, & soft stuff like that.

You should get your kitty used to the bedroom doors being closed at night. Whenever he starts meowing in the hall, either spray him with water or do a "ch" sound... or there may be something that works better for your cat. We have 8 cats, and we keep our bedroom door closed, & not a single cat meows to come in. Good Luck with your new kitty!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might be missing the other cats and is lonely. As far as activity, maybe wear him out with lots of play before you go to bed. I think he's just lonely and needs another kitten his age to play with.

Post pics when you can - I love the Red tabbies

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He might be missing the other cats and is lonely. As far as activity, maybe wear him out with lots of play before you go to bed. I think he's just lonely and needs another kitten his age to play with.

Post pics when you can - I love the Red tabbies
I have a debilitating weakness for orange tabbies! I love all my cats, but my Moose is real special. He's got black whiskers and black guard hairs. He's a real sweetie!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him the tallest, most complex and busy cat tree you can accommodate and afford! They love the things and will chase themselves all over them all day (though nothing will make up for a friend to chase). Pull knotted cords (not string!) under sheets or sheets of newspaper slowly so he can chase the phantom mouse. Toss marble sized alum. balls for him (though of course you'll end up with dozens under the furniture). Decide now if you want him to be a bed partner or not (he will get over the crazies in time). I'll presume he's been 'vetted', on his way to being neutered and being fed properly for his age. Don't let him get hold of string or elastics - once they're in a cat's mouth, they can't come out (backward tongue barbs) only down, so it really matters.