College & Grad School

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there. I was just curious to see who else is currently in college or grad school. What is everyone up to at their school?

I'm going into my senior year for my bachelors degree in fine arts (illustration, graphic design, printmaking)
. I'm really nervous about this year, because I have to put together my own gallery show. I'm also bringing my kitten, Nimbus, with me, to the townhouse I'm moving into

-Kristen

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just started college yesterday! going back after a 10 year hiatus
I'm like a sophomore and a half, and my major is business management, human resources.

Good luck with your gallery! we'd love to see some of your artwork

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow that's great! I'm at a Community College, working on my AA in fine arts too. Although, I think I may chnage that to a Art History major, depending on how my current classes go.
I love art, and hopefully I can make a career out of it, but I know that may a bit difficult

Best of luck with your gallery show...I know they are stressful to plan for, but it's so fun to see your art on show, you'll love it!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to a new school for my second bachelors and then my masters. 60 credits to finish the second bachelors. Yipee! I'm a little scared though because the school I'm going to is much bigger than the one I got my first degree from, but its also one of the only colleges in the state to offer the masters in social work so I'd have to suck it up sometime...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently half way through my sophmor year (at 28) currently going to a business/accounting degree. Once I'm doen with that I plan on going to law school! Yipee! Actually, I'm just getting read to head to my first classes of the sememster in about 30 minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Wow that's great! I'm at a Community College, working on my AA in fine arts too. Although, I think I may chnage that to a Art History major, depending on how my current classes go.
I love art, and hopefully I can make a career out of it, but I know that may a bit difficult

Best of luck with your gallery show...I know they are stressful to plan for, but it's so fun to see your art on show, you'll love it!
History mmmmm
. I'm minoring in Art History! I've taken four art histories courses so far (I,II,III, & History of Women Artists). I'm taking Modern art history next semester, then hopefully Asian art history. I take other history classes whenever possible too, such as TV and Film history (Theatre history bored me to tears and I eventually withdrew, though
). I think commercial art (graphic design, especially) isn't as difficult to make a career out of...which is why I decided to double major in Illustration and Graphic Design. I hope everything works out for both of us! Have you put together your own show before?? Any advice?

-Kristen

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finishing up a masters this fall. One class to go!!!!

My Masters will be in Information Assurance (Computer security)

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am in an accelerated bachelor of nursing program so I am kinda a junior/senior, hehe! I am probably going to continue for my master's next year. I must be crazy!

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going into my senior year at Hamline U. with a major in Anthropology. Though, I'm only taking ONE anthro class this year because I've already taken all the others I need, I just have to get a ton of "breadth of study" classes in.
silly, really, but ah well. My semester starts next Wednesday, I'm totally NOT ready for it to start. I took two summer classes so my "summer vacation" was only the month of August and I had surgery August 9 so I haven't gotten to do anything fun.
ah well! This semester should be pretty interesting, I'm taking an english class and a class on the phenomenon of language, plus a religions class and harp lessons. I'm hoping it won't be too stressful!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

History mmmmm
. I'm minoring in Art History! I've taken four art histories courses so far (I,II,III, & History of Women Artists). I'm taking Modern art history next semester, then hopefully Asian art history. I take other history classes whenever possible too, such as TV and Film history (Theatre history bored me to tears and I eventually withdrew, though
). I think commercial art (graphic design, especially) isn't as difficult to make a career out of...which is why I decided to double major in Illustration and Graphic Design. I hope everything works out for both of us! Have you put together your own show before?? Any advice?

-Kristen
Oh man! Those classes sound awesome...I'm a little jealous. I'm still just starting out with school and unfortunately the school I am in has a limited variety of art classes
...I plan to go to UF in a few semesters and study some more/different art classes. Just have to chug through the core classes UGH. I can't wait to go to a class that focuses just on modern art...I have a huge passion for it!!!

Yeah, nothing as big as what I'm assuming your show will be like...but I've shown some (school, library, tattoo art studio). I was so nervous I got started setting it up at like 5 in the morning...but it feels so great when it's going on/ over....such an accomplishment! Here's some for great success at your show!!!

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh man! Those classes sound awesome...I'm a little jealous. I'm still just starting out with school and unfortunately the school I am in has a limited variety of art classes
...I plan to go to UF in a few semesters and study some more/different art classes. Just have to chug through the core classes UGH. I can't wait to go to a class that focuses just on modern art...I have a huge passion for it!!!

Yeah, nothing as big as what I'm assuming your show will be like...but I've shown some (school, library, tattoo art studio). I was so nervous I got started setting it up at like 5 in the morning...but it feels so great when it's going on/ over....such an accomplishment! Here's some for great success at your show!!!
Thanks for the vibes! Yeah, core classes suck sometimes, but at least EVERYONE has to go through them. I had to take an extra, non-credit, math class because I completely bombed my math entrance exam
. It'll be nice to get all your cores out of the way and save the fun stuff for UF (university of florida?---i have a cousin who really enjoys it there
).

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the vibes! Yeah, core classes suck sometimes, but at least EVERYONE has to go through them. I had to take an extra, non-credit, math class because I completely bombed my math entrance exam
. It'll be nice to get all your cores out of the way and save the fun stuff for UF (university of florida?---i have a cousin who really enjoys it there
).
Ouh...yeah, math isn't my strength either... Can't wait to get into the real hardcore art making! Do you have any of your artwork online? I'd love to see! I just started a blog...http://jovialart.blogspot.com/. It's young yet, but hopefully it will eventually be adequate and up-to-date.

Yeah, University of Florida, live in Gainesville all my life and they seem to have a decent Art program for an affordable school ( I'd be at Ringling if I had a spare 40k lying around !! lol )

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a sophomore at Columbus State University. My major is Early Childhood Education, I want to teach elementary school! I have 3 years to go before I get my bachelors degree, then I think I'm going to continue on to get my masters then a doctorate degree hopefully!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my third year in grad school working on my PhD in Genetics. :-) I went into grad school right after getting my bachelors because knowing me, if I had taken a break, I wouldn't have gone back! Skipped the Master's though.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ouh...yeah, math isn't my strength either... Can't wait to get into the real hardcore art making! Do you have any of your artwork online? I'd love to see! I just started a blog...http://jovialart.blogspot.com/. It's young yet, but hopefully it will eventually be adequate and up-to-date.

Yeah, University of Florida, live in Gainesville all my life and they seem to have a decent Art program for an affordable school ( I'd be at Ringling if I had a spare 40k lying around !! lol )
I'm in the process of uploading some of my work onto the internet (I guess I don't know where I want to put it yet), but I'll let you know when I have something to show. I enjoy getting feedback/constructive critcism on my stuff. I really like your blog! I especially like the style of your sketches, have you thought about going into Illustration at all?

-Kristen

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in grad school studying library science. I just started last semester, so I'm still kind of new at everything (I still get lost on campus!).

I graduated from art school with a BFA with an emphasis in Art History in May 2006! Don't worry about the gallery show, Nimbus. It'll come together. I ended up changing my whole idea a couple of months before the show, but it still turned out really well! I originally went there for photography, but I ended up doing a lot of weaving and fiber arts.

Tricia

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently going to a 2-year technical school for radiologic technology (x-ray tech). Before going back to school I got my bachelor's in business in 2002.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm in the process of uploading some of my work onto the internet (I guess I don't know where I want to put it yet), but I'll let you know when I have something to show. I enjoy getting feedback/constructive critcism on my stuff. I really like your blog! I especially like the style of your sketches, have you thought about going into Illustration at all?

-Kristen
A blogspot might be perfect for you then... people can post comments and give advice... I too like to get criticism and critiques. Yeah, illustration would be great...I always thought it would be really neat to be an illustrator for books (children's in general), but I have no idea how to get into a business like that!
Message me when you upload some stuff, I'd love to see!

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to uni in 2008 (after a gap year). I'm gonna do an MSci in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Followed by a masters, then hopefully a PhD.
What are core classes?
I think in England we study x number of modules of our chosen subject, and y of basically anything we want. So while if I wanted I could just study chemistry for 4 years, I also have the option to take French, History etc.