what is going on with my frontline?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
two weeks ago my vet finally gave the okay for kuan yin to start using frontline (three and a half months old). before, i was fighting her flea problem with just baths and combing so we were both relieved. not only did i get frontline for her, but also for my three dogs so this problem would not go in circles (not a cheap bill, i must say). well, today i was cuddling her and just by petting her found three live fleas that i caught and squished myself. what's going on? why would the frontline not work? do i need to spray my house?

(i've never had issues with frontline not working in my past animals' use)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fleas might have came back in on your dogs, but three on a cat isn't good. Usually for every single flea you see there's several others.

It's too soon to reapply the frontline or anything else. Best you can do for now is to 'treat' your home and comb. Vacuum with a flea collar in the bag, etc (others can give more tips).

I have seen it mentioned on here that it can take three months of flea medication treatments to break the fleas life cycle - eggs and fleas hiding out elsewhere. (Can anyone back that up?)

On a side note, I used frontline years ago and it never really seemed to take care of the fleas, even with several months of application, Sho would have fleas again even after a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you..i will look out for anymore tips..i could bathe her everyday and comb her and still find fleas..it's like i can't get rid of them!!! i am at my wit's end and frightened she will suffer anemia or other side effects since this has been coming up for a long time now..why can't i get rid of them? i just have to say, fleas can be a nightmare!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

i just have to say, fleas can be a nightmare!!!
I hope you never have to deal with sand fleas. Years ago when I lived with my dad, they invaded the whole neighborhood. And they don't like cats or dogs, they prefer humans. Now THAT'S a nightmare.

ddcats mentioned using vinegar and water in the flea treatment thread. Why not send a pm and see if they can help?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

ddcats mentioned using vinegar and water in the flea treatment thread. Why not send a pm and see if they can help?
i've tried that..it helped make em mad and come out but didn't get rid of them completely

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From my experience just earlier this year, yes, it takes 3 months for the fleas to finally
go away! I kept freaking out when I saw them.

I sprinkled Borax in my carpets....that helped too. The fleas were back with a venegance after that for a day or two.....but I haven't seen one in weeks!!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the vet just confirmed it will take three months for it to break the cycle...i didn't know that. also, they said the fleas i see on her have to bite her first and then die within 24 hours..but they shouldn't have full red bellies..two of the three i saw DID...i'm feeling a little skeptical but i suppose i'll just keep the frontline schedule and try to treat the house when i get some finances...

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard that the fleas are becoming 'immune' to the Frontline.

Yes, they get mad when I do the vinegar thing, I wait until they are lying down, then give a couple of squirts. They are indoor cats, but the dog goes outside only to do his business. So he must bring in a couple of fleas. Two months ago, when it was steamy hot, I did the Borax thing-entire house, used a jar with holes punched in the lid.

If I see the cats scratching, they automatically know they are getting their squirts.

BTW, I do put tea tree, like Frontline, on the DOG ONLY. Tea Tree is poison to a cat. A spot on neck, and spot on tail.

It's going to be more work doing the vinegar/water method. And the Frontline does not work for some people, waste of $ and time.

Sharky mentioned "de Flea" in another thread, I have been trying to find "de Flea" locally.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's most likely you have fleas in the house, i.e., carpeting and furniture. Fleas usually reside in those areas and only jump on the cat/dog for a meal and then hop off.

You will need to seriously clean up the house, vacuum daily (and throw the bag outside after each vacuuming), treat the carpets/furniture with something like Borax or Diatomaceous Earth. If you have a bad infestation of fleas, they are very hard to get rid of. The treatment on the pet is a good start, but IMO if you want to get this problem handled, also treat the environment where the pets live.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also check with vet about a professional spray they sell.
Sorry dont have name, I am not at home to look at can.
A couple years ago I had fleas in house for awhile before I caught
on. Anyway I purchased the frontline plus (3 mth supply) plus
I asked how do I get it out of carpet, chairs, couch etc..
They were bitting me too in ankles. I need something fast here.
I bought a can from vet something like $15.00 and sprayed the
area's without kitty in room. It is safe after dry for kitty to be.
Anyway it worked good for me. Just another idea.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i will try all of these in the meantime..what's funny is i don't have carpet and my furniture is vinyl..well except for our bed.

G

ghostuser

I had a problem with Frontline last year. It had always, always worked just fine for us, but we used it for three months straight and nothing. Then, we'd run out of it, so we tried Advantage instead -- and there were dead fleas laying on the floor wherever the pets had laid by the end of the day. They died off rather quickly. So.. my recommendation would be all for trying something other than Frontline once it's been long enough.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Frontline 2 years ago and I thought it quit working after 2 weeks. I like Revolution much better.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

yes, i will try all of these in the meantime..what's funny is i don't have carpet and my furniture is vinyl..well except for our bed.
The fleas can hide in cracks and crevices as well so you really need to do a totally thorough cleaning of everything.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Advantage too. If the cat picks up any fleas, you see them falling out and dying within a couple of hours of application.