Kitty scared by neighbor's cat

catnat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved to this new appartment which has a large balcony. I thought it would be great for my cat Tigrillo. Well, this was without counting on my neighbor's cat! My neighbor is gone most of the time and she leaves the door of her balcony open for the cat. Since our 2 balconies are adjacent, his cat Kiki is on my balcony all the time (and no there's no way to install a cat-proof fence). Kiki is really a sweet heart with me but you can feel he's bold and self-confident. My cat, on the other hand who is shy and easily scared, is afraid of him.

The first few days after I moved in, I would let the door open and suddenly would find Kiki in my appartment looking and rubbing at everything like if he was home. As his visits ended up chasing and scaring Tigrillo, I kept the door closed. I decided to let them first look at each other for a few weeks. After they stopped hissing at each other and even rub noses throught the mosquito screen I then let them met a few times on the balcony but as soon as Kiki gets to close to my cat, Tigrillo starts hissing and fighting in order to escape back to the apartment. I tried to let Kiki in the apartment again. Kiki seemed friendly, rolling on his back, belly up. They spent almost an hour together at safe distance and when I started to relax, not sure what happened they were fighting again. I sprayed them water and took back Kiki out on the balcony.

I don't know what to do. I would really like them to get along but I don't know how. Also I'm not sure what Kiki's motives are. With me he's really affectionate and I think he's lonely and craving for affection (unless all this is a plot to get in my apartment). I wouldn't mind letting him in and stay with us when he's alone but so far the apartment is the only place where Tigrillo feels safe. Plus I'm sure Kiki is going to act as he's the master of the house.

Tigrillo is my first cat and I have no experience with introducing another cat, especially on a part-time basis since after all this is still my neighbor's cat.

Let me know what I should do. Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your neighbor know about this? Is she ok with it?

Better yet, do you know her cat is up to date on all of his vaccinations?

Your Tigrillo is an only cat and would probably prefer that, or at least not having a strange cat marching right in his territory.
It would probably be for the best that you don't let Kiki in you apartment, were anything to happen to him... say a bite from your cat if they were to seriously fight - it would be your fault and responsibility. Unless your neighbor has asked you to take care of her cat while she's away, it could potentially get you into trouble.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to get your super to tell her she should pay for either a cat enclosure (screening in as much of the balcony as she wants - top included of course) or some kind of floor to ... bottom of upper balcony(?) fencing that would absolutely keep her cat away. It sounds very much like her cat has decided to move in with you, but I hope you don't feed him - if nothing else he'll be fat (as your neighbor must be feeding him too), and you'll never get rid of him.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Larke and strange_wings. Your apartment and your balcony are now Trigillo's territory. Kiki should understand this.
Shoo away Kiki when Trigillo starts getting upset. Do not let Kiki in your apartment. Kiki will still be friendly but he will not get bossy. In time T will have enough confidence to tolerate and even befriend K.
A temporary fence though will ease both cats adjusting to each other.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I think you need to get your super to tell her she should pay for either a cat enclosure (screening in as much of the balcony as she wants - top included of course) or some kind of floor to ... bottom of upper balcony(?) fencing that would absolutely keep her cat away. It sounds very much like her cat has decided to move in with you, but I hope you don't feed him - if nothing else he'll be fat (as your neighbor must be feeding him too), and you'll never get rid of him.
I'm not sure going to the super and complaining about her cat is the best option. She could get upset and complain that YOU should be the one to put up a cat enclosure or screening since she had her cat first and I'm sure you don't want to start a war with your neighbour.

I do think you should keep Kiki out of your apartment - that is an intrusion on your kitty's territory.

If they are exposed to each other in a controlled and supervised way they may eventually become friends and share the 2 balconies. However, that's not a for sure so you cannot count on it. If you want your cat to have the run of your balcony, then I would think the onus is on you to make it safe for him, not on your neighbour to keep her cat away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice!
Regarding the fence, I cannot really do anything. I live in an apartment complex where they only allow a certain type of wood panel (theirs) to be installed between balconies. It's already been installed and it's worthless.

I haven't fed Kiki but I've been nice, greeting and petting him which I understand was not really the right attitude...

The good news is that my father, who is retired, is visiting for a few weeks and Kiki seems to be impressed by him: he goes back to his balcony when my father tells him to. Maybe that's the first step to regain the balcony for Tigrillo. Then I will have to take over.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO letting a cat out on the balcony without supervision is a good way for them to fall or escape. I'd just keep the cat inside all the time or train to a harness/leash and sit out on the balcony with the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually I never let Tigrillo on the balcony without supervision. When I'm not home he stays in.