HELP- Someone stole from me!!!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I work on and love cars. I was supposed to be buying a car from a friend of mine over the weekend. . . The car did not run, as it needed a new alternator. They were moving to alabama and needed to sell the car to get up there, or so they told me. They lived in a mobile home, and were breaking the lease. Well I told them I would take over the lease, as I would not have to pay any fees and that way I could afford to buy the car off of them. Well being a mechanic, I was not going to buy a car that did not run. . . So I fixed it and made sure it was mechanically sound. Ran great! So $150.00 in parts. Then $150.00 to pay back half of the deposit to my friend so they would have a little more money and that way I was giving them something for moving in there, so they did not loose all their money. .. So i am now up to 300.00. Well it turns out nothing was ever done about the lease. The woman was going to "drop of lease papers" today, and they never came, and come to find out, they are well on their way to alabama now. . . with my money and the car they were going to sell me. The silly part is they told me exactly where they were going. . . Anyone here live near Bayou La Batre, AL. That is where they are most likely now. . . I am so upset. Especially because we have been freinds for two years now. . . This makes me want to cry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
not certified, and i dont really have a business liscence. . . or i would say that was an option. . .

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

Okay, I work on and love cars. I was supposed to be buying a car from a friend of mine over the weekend. . . The car did not run, as it needed a new alternator. They were moving to alabama and needed to sell the car to get up there, or so they told me. They lived in a mobile home, and were breaking the lease. Well I told them I would take over the lease, as I would not have to pay any fees and that way I could afford to buy the car off of them. Well being a mechanic, I was not going to buy a car that did not run. . . So I fixed it and made sure it was mechanically sound. Ran great! So $150.00 in parts. Then $150.00 to pay back half of the deposit to my friend so they would have a little more money and that way I was giving them something for moving in there, so they did not loose all their money. .. So i am now up to 300.00. Well it turns out nothing was ever done about the lease. The woman was going to "drop of lease papers" today, and they never came, and come to find out, they are well on their way to alabama now. . . with my money and the car they were going to sell me. The silly part is they told me exactly where they were going. . . Anyone here live near Bayou La Batre, AL. That is where they are most likely now. . . I am so upset. Especially because we have been freinds for two years now. . . This makes me want to cry.
Im sorry this happened to you. Can you get a consultation with a lawyer and see what other options are open to you since you cant put a lien on the car?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will fly or work. But if you have proof you paid for and bought this car can you call the police?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that happened
I would say put a mechanics lien on it, but I doubt you can without a license/certification.

Although, it is awesome to see another car girl! I've been working on cars for 10 years now.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ouch... I think getting stabbed in the back by a person you trust is the worst. How much trouble would it be to drop them a visit? (assuming they didn't lie about the destination). I love to work on my cars too, though it's mostly simple stuff (brakes, interior, engine detailing, etc). Dying to do more, but don't know too many mechanics willing to teach me. Most of the stuff I do I kinda grit my teeth and hope it works

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For $300 it's entirely not worth getting a lawyer as the lawyer would charge you MUCH more than your original investment. It's just not worth it. Write it off as an expensive lesson you just learned.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But if you do have proof -- even a check they cashed -- you can go to the police with it and see what they might be able to do...

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

How much trouble would it be to drop them a visit? (assuming they didn't lie about the destination).
I know they did not lie, and I know exactly where it is that they are going, problem is it would cost that much to get up there. . . This always happens to me. . . I am so sick to death of trusting people. Not anymore. I will have me, my fiance', and of course my furry child. . . and that is it. . .

As for what PookieBoy said:
It's just not worth it. Write it off as an expensive lesson you just learned.

It is a shame that the lesson I have learned is that I can not trust anyone. . . What a wonderful world this has become.

Everyone wonders why I love animals, more specificall cats, so much. Because they a incapable of doing things like this, and even if they could, I dont think they would. . .

I am going to buy an island for me and my cat. . .

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about it. . . I am going to talk to the lawyer tommorrow and see what my options are. . . I am just so disgusted with this whole situation. . .