Would you eat it?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, say you see a jar of mustard in the fridge. The date on the lid says May 21, 2007. Would you eat it? Or is that just nasty??

I said it was gross, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. Rob's parents say it is fine and they would eat it, so what? I think 3 months past the date on the lid is a bit long!!

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to say no. You're right, 3 months is a little long!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd probably eat it.
Mustard's main ingredients are vinegar and water, followed by mustard seed.
Add various spices depending of mustard type.
If it's never been opened, or has been refidgerated, chances are good that there is nothing at all wrong with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

Nope, and give it to the parents as a gift so they can eat it

Its in their fridge, so I'm sure they'll eat it!! Its not the first time I found something well past its expiration/sell by date, and then someone ate it. Eek.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was the only mustard in the house and there wasn't any green junk growing in the lid, I would!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I'd probably eat it.
Mustard's main ingredients are vinegar and water, followed by mustard seed.
Add various spices depending of mustard type.
If it's never been opened, or has been refidgerated, chances are good that there is nothing at all wrong with it.

Its been half eaten, been open since April or so. It HAS been refrigerated, but that fresh seal was broken LONG ago. Too old for me!

Then again, his dad drank milk 10 days past the sell by that smelt pretty nasty. I gave Rob props for not putting it on his cereal, since he would eat 3 month old mustard too. They're also the type that would cut mold off a piece of bread and eat the rest of the bread slice, but I cant do that either ... I dunno if there's mold just waiting to appear on the pieces I'm eating!

Turns out there WAS more mustard in the other fridge, that one with a date of April 2008. That's the one I used!

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No way. I'm such a freak about expiration dates. I think its because I once accidentally drank very expired orange juice...not pleasant

-Kristen

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, things beyond their date, really depends on what it is.
The products are dated mainly to protect the manufacturers should anything be wrong with a product.
Because really, we all know that not all stores rotate things like they are supposed to.
Milk is actually been proven safe and good for up to 10 days past it's date, but that's one item I won't test the theory on.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like mustard to begin with, but if I did, I think if its been opened and past the "sell by" date, I'd throw it out. Let's hope no one gets sick from eating it!

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say no because I've had a bad experience with expired stuff. For me, even the day of expiration is too late to eat it. Wasteful? Maybe. But I really don't ever wanna taste something off again.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say yes...

I guess because I don't think of mustard as going bad. Come to think of it, I have had this jar of mustard in my fridge for quite some time. Perhaps I should check it.

If it was something else like milk or meat I wouldn't.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man I've had mustard in my fridge for two years and still used it!! And milk is good 7 days past date unless its been stored on the door instead the shelf!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mustard or the like, yes I'd eat it. Some other things probably not.

One of my old co-workers would eat almost anything past the expiration date. He grew up with very little and came to the US as a teen. To him it's waste. He even boils fat and bones and things to make a gravy he gives his dog. (I forget exactly how he does it.) He used to finish anything you gave him and would argue with you if you said something was bad and needed to be thrown out. He also did the dishes though! And some things he would take to put in his compost pile. So we liked bringing him any leftovers we had at home before they went bad. He put on 30lb his first year working with us!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what about eggs? I have a half dozen eggs with an expiration date of 8/28 and I wanted to hard boil them...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a bad egg as long as it was kept refrigerated.
Did you know that eggs sit in refrigerated warehouses for up to a year?

The most I've seen happen was that the membrane just inside the shell gets a little thick.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would eat although I don't think the ingredients in it would go bad very quickly.

However I have had food poisoning before and believe me it is something you want to avoid...