I knew this was a bad idea...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We seem to have a slight weight issue with the boys, so DH and I decided to do something about it. We've tried two things that have failed horribly, so I've decided to share both with you.

Weight control attempt #1:
Our vet recommended that we go out and buy a rubber tub that we could cut a hole into. The point of this being so that the "skinny" kitties can get in and eat an the "chubby" one (named Dr. D Claw) couldn't. She had read a study. Perhaps the cats that were written about in the study weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, or they just didn't learn to work together. With in five seconds (I timed it) they had flipped the tub over and were eating out of it. So much for that plan.

Weight control attempt #2:
So after being thwarted by three kitties with the combined IQ of Stephen Hawking we ran out and bought a food container with a timer. When the timer goes off the flap opens and the kitties get to eat. Perfect! That is until I saw 8-Bit shove his paw into the timer and trigger the catch. He looked up at us as to say, "Stupid human, don't you know I'm smarter than this?"

No 8-Bit we didn't

I'm off to research other options.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh Heather!
Those boys of yours are just the most amazing kitties! If/when you do get it figured out, you have to let us know what actually worked. Most of us don't have a kitty like 8-Bit who can figure out everything put in front of him, but if you can make it work with him, it will work for any feline!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Oh gosh Heather!
Those boys of yours are just the most amazing kitties! If/when you do get it figured out, you have to let us know what actually worked. Most of us don't have a kitty like 8-Bit who can figure out everything put in front of him, but if you can make it work with him, it will work for any feline!
If I find it I'll send it into the Journal of Vet Medicine, because it will be the one thing to work for all cats. I'm going to have to invent something. I just know it.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What fabulous kitties - they certainly keep you on your toes don't they

Now if only you get that brainpower turned into energy burning those extra pounds would be gone in no time.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

What fabulous kitties - they certainly keep you on your toes don't they

Now if only you get that brainpower turned into energy burning those extra pounds would be gone in no time.
I know!

The best part was that Scratch would get so excited by the timer the little flap would smack him in the face. He would be there seconds before it opened. I suppose the inventor of the device never counted on the dimness of Scratch or the brain power of 8-Bit.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took to giving them their own bowls in separate corners of the whole apartment, one gets fed in the hall, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the livingroom

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't know if we can come up with any ideas because most of us have average cats who aren't as clever.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I just took to giving them their own bowls in separate corners of the whole apartment, one gets fed in the hall, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the livingroom
Perhaps that's what we are going to have to do.

Originally Posted by katachtig

I don't know if we can come up with any ideas because most of us have average cats who aren't as clever.
I know... 8-Bit is very smart. Almost too smart....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow if any species were to take over the human race, I'd say its going to start in your home by your cats

Good luck with that. I'd pay to see a video of both

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too funny...
I bet there is never a dull moment at your house, but I don't think you'd have quite as much fun if it were.
You have some incredibly smart boys and I keep wondering what will happen next.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tubee and Root are also very clever. Root was the first of our cats to learn how to turn on the water in the sink. And then Tubee learned the same thing when he came. Samba on the other hand has no clue how anything works, and I really think he just doesn't care.
Well, we mostly gave up on trying to get the cats to lose weight. Root weighs around 21lb so we have to measure there food, but other than that, we don't do anything.

Manda

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay, I think 8-Bit has the IQ of Stephen Hawking and the other 2 are just icing on the cake
I am so glad my kitties are not that smart, but Antigone sure does try

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I know!

The best part was that Scratch would get so excited by the timer the little flap would smack him in the face. He would be there seconds before it opened. I suppose the inventor of the device never counted on the dimness of Scratch or the brain power of 8-Bit.
I have tears in my eyes and I could barely read that aloud to DH, I was laughing so hard.

But...this gives me some ideas, lol. We have weight issues as well, but have unsuccessfully figured out a solution thus far.

Is the automatic feeder digital or one like a kitchen timer?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am in love with Scratch.
He sounds like such a sweetie.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

okay, I think 8-Bit has the IQ of Stephen Hawking and the other 2 are just icing on the cake
I think 8-Bit and Ophelia would just be dangerous together. I always said that she could figure out quantum physics if it were translated into Meow. I bet together they could just figure out quantum physics.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I have tears in my eyes and I could barely read that aloud to DH, I was laughing so hard.

But...this gives me some ideas, lol. We have weight issues as well, but have unsuccessfully figured out a solution thus far.

Is the automatic feeder digital or one like a kitchen timer?
No it was a mechanical one. You'd set it hours between feedings.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

I am in love with Scratch.
He sounds like such a sweetie.
Scratch is very sweet! He just doesn't have all his crayons on the box if you know what I mean.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Scratch is very sweet! He just doesn't have all his crayons on the box if you know what I mean.
LOL! He sounds like Nabu...I won't buy the cat toy that sits on the floor & waves the wand around because I'm afraid Nabu would get whacked in the head.

Stimpy is officially not ever allowed to meet Dr. D. Claw. No. Stimpy is an evil genius when it comes to food.
We've never tried timed feeders. After your story I'm glad we haven't.

I just love reading about your kitties.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

LOL! He sounds like Nabu...I won't buy the cat toy that sits on the floor & waves the wand around because I'm afraid Nabu would get whacked in the head.

Stimpy is officially not ever allowed to meet Dr. D. Claw. No. Stimpy is an evil genius when it comes to food.
We've never tried timed feeders. After your story I'm glad we haven't.

I just love reading about your kitties.
They are a crafty bunch. We try, but they out smart us almost every single time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
8-Bit & Scratch sound like Eben & Snooch.

what about leaving the tub sealed, lid in place, then cutting the access hole for skinny cats? like a sealed litterbox? so it'd look kinda like this: