I know it's early to think about Thanksgiving

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...but my mother-in-law is coming to visit for Thanksgiving this year.

So this gives me a double-edged sword. On one hand, Earl will be much more likely to "let" me try something new for Thanksgiving sides (he's the type that likes his basic corn, yams/sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes). By the same token, I sure wouldn't mind "showing off" a bit for Diane.
At the same time, I really don't want to humiliate myself by making something new and it turns out really gross!
So I really want to try these things before Thanksgiving to make sure I can make them and they taste as good as they sound on paper.

Help me, TCS! Any recipes you would suggest for sides or appetizers or even desserts that can WOW the MIL and still be acceptable to my traditional husband?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If no one has an aversion to alcohol, or alcohol flavorins, Black Bottom pie.

I like the classic green been caserole (I have had it topped with crushed Cheezits, or french fried onion rings, both great).

Not so easy, but very good, pumpkin soup (made from tiny sugar pumpkins) served in the pumpkin shells.

I simply use standardized recipes, none of my own, so they should be easily Googled.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

...but my mother-in-law is coming to visit for Thanksgiving this year.

So this gives me a double-edged sword. On one hand, Earl will be much more likely to "let" me try something new for Thanksgiving sides (he's the type that likes his basic corn, yams/sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes). By the same token, I sure wouldn't mind "showing off" a bit for Diane.
At the same time, I really don't want to humiliate myself by making something new and it turns out really gross!
So I really want to try these things before Thanksgiving to make sure I can make them and they taste as good as they sound on paper.

Help me, TCS! Any recipes you would suggest for sides or appetizers or even desserts that can WOW the MIL and still be acceptable to my traditional husband?
::::cracks knuckles::::

Stuffing: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

Pumpkin Tart: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

Pecan Pie with a black bottom: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/recipes/9305.php

Turkey Tail rolls:
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...003d370a0aRCRD
(caution that one involves a ruler)

EDIT: This year I'm going to brine my Turkey! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

Can you tell I'm SUPER excited for Thanksgiving?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a Pavlova for dessert!!! It's delicious, very easy to make, and always impresses! This is the recipe I always use - http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html.

You can do one big pavlova and cut it up, or make mini ones and serve them individually, which is what I prefer to do.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ugh, now I'm dreaming of turkey! you had to bring up Thanksgiving didn't ya
I have nothing to suggest as my family is very traditional too, maybe make real cranberry sauce? the recipe should be on the bag of cranberries- my grandma used to make that just for me
everyone else likes the jelly

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a recipe in our local newspaper earlier this year that I make when we have guests it yummy and easy.....

Boil small red potatoes and let cool.
Use a jelly roll type baking sheet drizzle with olive oil. Take a cooled potato and smash it down on the pan using the heel of your hand. Continue until pan is full. Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt (and Italian herbs if wanted). Bake in 450-500 degree oven 15-20 minutes. Potatoes should be crispy on bottom. Serve with sour cream. I haven't had ANYONE complain about this recipe.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Not so easy, but very good, pumpkin soup (made from tiny sugar pumpkins) served in the pumpkin shells.
Oh I'm going to try to find that! Sounds like something my Mom and I would like to make! And Eat!
Originally Posted by lookingglass

If dinner at my Aunt's weren't so good, I'd be begging to have Thanksgiving dinner with you!!!

A thought I had was to make some appetizers for everyone to munch on. I know all the food smells should have them salivating anyway. A good appetizer might just tingle their tastebuds and get them really wanting their dinner! I'll have to see if I can come up with any specific suggestions for you!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm, now I cant wait for Thanksgiving. My mom makes a great Turkey day dinner. I missed it last year!!! (we alternate holidays - Thanksgiving with my parents, Xmas with Rob's parents one year. Then vice versa).

I must say though, my uncle makes a mean deep fried turkey!!! That's almost worth the 13 hour drive back to NJ!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not too late to start Thanksgiving plans! I already bought turkey. Much cheaper right now than they will be in a few months.

My favorite dish to make is the Ham.

I'll buy one ham and one can of Pinapple rings.

Bake with Pineapple pinned to the top and pour one can of pepsi or coke over it. Bake on a low setting basting with the soda every 30 minutes. You'll come out with a sweet ham that will melt in your mouth. I swear if I hadn't of left the damn wrapper on the ham last year I would have had a perfect one! lol. So needless to say..don't forget to take the paper wrapper of of it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Mmm, now I cant wait for Thanksgiving. My mom makes a great Turkey day dinner. I missed it last year!!! (we alternate holidays - Thanksgiving with my parents, Xmas with Rob's parents one year. Then vice versa).

I must say though, my uncle makes a mean deep fried turkey!!! That's almost worth the 13 hour drive back to NJ!
Oh, fried turkey is the BEST!! The first time I saw one, I was like "you are actually going to fed me that burnt thing???" But once it was cut I was drooling!!!

My grandmother used to make a cranberry sauce in a jello mold. I have to find the receipe but it was awesome. It had cranberry sauce mixed up with grated orange rinds, I think a little grape jelly and walnuts with either jello or plain gelatin. But, it is delicious. I don't like regular cranberry sauce (as in canned) but I would eat the crap out of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

There was a recipe in our local newspaper earlier this year that I make when we have guests it yummy and easy.....

Boil small red potatoes and let cool.
Use a jelly roll type baking sheet drizzle with olive oil. Take a cooled potato and smash it down on the pan using the heel of your hand. Continue until pan is full. Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt (and Italian herbs if wanted). Bake in 450-500 degree oven 15-20 minutes. Potatoes should be crispy on bottom. Serve with sour cream. I haven't had ANYONE complain about this recipe.
that sounds SO yummy!

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

A thought I had was to make some appetizers for everyone to munch on. I know all the food smells should have them salivating anyway. A good appetizer might just tingle their tastebuds and get them really wanting their dinner! I'll have to see if I can come up with any specific suggestions for you!
Yeah, I definitely want to come up with some appetizers since we'll be having dinner at that strange holiday time of about 3:00.

Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

It's not too late to start Thanksgiving plans! I already bought turkey. Much cheaper right now than they will be in a few months.

My favorite dish to make is the Ham.

I'll buy one ham and one can of Pinapple rings.

Bake with Pineapple pinned to the top and pour one can of pepsi or coke over it. Bake on a low setting basting with the soda every 30 minutes. You'll come out with a sweet ham that will melt in your mouth. I swear if I hadn't of left the damn wrapper on the ham last year I would have had a perfect one! lol. So needless to say..don't forget to take the paper wrapper of of it.
They always have these amazing turkey sales - up to 18 lbs for about $5, over 18 lbs for $6 or $7.

The ham sounds yummy too!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

EDIT: This year I'm going to brine my Turkey! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

I have been using the Good Eats brine turkey for the last 3 years and it is a HUGE hit! My husband begs me to make this turkey at other times through the year.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

I have been using the Good Eats brine turkey for the last 3 years and it is a HUGE hit! My husband begs me to make this turkey at other times through the year.
That's good to know. I can't wait to try it.