Questions about Freshflow fountain and filters

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you change the filters? Do you replace it each time you clean the fountain? I noticed it doesn't take long for the fountain to get slimy

How often do you clean the fountain? Where have you found the cheapest place for replacement filters?

I haven't had the fountain long and threw out the box with the instructions of course, and I'm trying to get a schedule set up for cleaning and filter replacement.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a petmate fountain. We do change the filter every time. I'd say we clean it bi-weekly. Our girls like to throw their food when they eat sometimes, so we keep an eye on it. How often you clean it may depend on your kitty because of things like that.

If it gets overly dirty, I soak the plastic parts in a sink full of diluted bleach water and then clean real well afterward. Sometimes DH has run it through the dishwasher too. We've only found the replacement filters at Petsmart. We usually find them in the Dog section there. Walmart doesn't carry them to my knowledge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. I have cleaned it about bi-weekly and changed the filter each time. I just used the 2nd filter so wanted to make sure I really needed to change them so often before I do it again. Riley isn't a messy eater but it just seems the plastic gets slimy after a bit, so I scrub it out good with hot water and soap each time and used a toothbrush for the little parts. I didn't see any at petsmart but only looked in the cat section, so will check the dog area!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the Petmate Water Fountain too
We clean the bowl every week. We change the filter about every other week, maybe every 3rd week if itsn't too clogged. We are going to get the Deluxe 108 Oz bowl in September - we are really excited about buying the new water bowl!

Here are some prices for the filters:
Petco $ 5.99/2 Pack, $ 13.49/6 Pack, & $ 26.99/12 Pack
http://www.petco.com/product/10923/P...t-Filters.aspx
Petmate $ 3.79/2 Pack
http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=205

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I may try a drinkwell fountain when this one quits eventually because he does like it, but he seems to still like the tub faucet best, lol.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as an FYI: We have a Drinkwell fountain. The fine print says that the filters are unnecessary, so if you don't feel like using them, you don't have to. We're still working through the "bonus" extra filters that came with the fountain, but I'm not sure I'm going to spend money on replacements.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We clean ours when it starts to look gross (generally about every other week or earlier). I typically clean it by hand, but about once a month I run it through the dishwasher. The instructions say it's not dishwasher safe, but I've never had a problem and it's the only way I can get the slime out. I change the filter about once a month (I give it a good rinse with hot water everytime I clean the bowl). I get my filters at PetSmart.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use the filters because I don't think they're very effective and they don't last very long anyway. Instead, I fill the fountains with filtered water from an undersink filter unit attached to my cold water supply. I clean the fountains once a week. In summer I alternate a thorough wash one week and a quick rinse the next, and in winter I alternate a thorough wash with two weeks of rinses. This works out just fine. If there's any debris in the water bowl, I suck that out with a turkey baster.

This important part is disassembling and washing/rinsing the pump every time the fountain is cleaned.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

Just as an FYI: We have a Drinkwell fountain. The fine print says that the filters are unnecessary, so if you don't feel like using them, you don't have to. We're still working through the "bonus" extra filters that came with the fountain, but I'm not sure I'm going to spend money on replacements.
I didn't know that!
Thanks! We bought a Drinkwell this summer and the filters are $$$$. The information with it said they would last a month, but they get pink and slimey after 2 weeks.

I run our Drinkwell through the dishwasher once a week. If I wait 2 weeks its REALLY gross. I wash the 2 little parts in soapy water. And if I have vinegar, I stick the one part of the pump (that is supposed to contact water) in it and run it with vinegar. Then dump out, fill container with clean water. And run it again to rinse. This seems to keep mine working very well. And clean.

I use filtered water from our Pur pitcher for the kitties' water.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I don't use the filters because I don't think they're very effective and they don't last very long anyway. Instead, I fill the fountains with filtered water from an undersink filter unit attached to my cold water supply. I clean the fountains once a week. In summer I alternate a thorough wash one week and a quick rinse the next, and in winter I alternate a thorough wash with two weeks of rinses. This works out just fine. If there's any debris in the water bowl, I suck that out with a turkey baster.

This important part is disassembling and washing/rinsing the pump every time the fountain is cleaned.
I take the pump out of the fountain, but I didn't know the little box itself comes apart?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i stopped using the filters because i started adding lysine to the water & i didn't want it filtered out.
mine seem to need cleaning at least once a week.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I automatically clean our CatIt every Saturday. I use a brush to clean any lime deposits away and by doing this every week it never really builds up to anything that won't come off easily. I also run clean water through the filter and re-use. I only change filters about once per month or 6 weeks. I have found that it takes only a few minutes each Saturday to thoroughly clean the fountain and by doing it religiously every week, the cleaning up is easy.

PS - I do not use tap water so my filter never gets pink coloured. I use bottled spring water for the kitties.