Ideas needed to protect furniture from cat!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just bought two new tables and a sofa and a recliner. I have one stray that I brought in last December (I thought she was pregnant). Is there a spray or something I can use to deter her from clawing at the new furniture?

I have wood pieces from the wood burning stove that she has access to (she's not interested) We placed a piece of cardboard on the top of the side table and she is enjoying clawing it.

Should I put a piece on the ground to keep her from the table?

The sofa and recliner hasn't arrived yet, but if she touches them my DH will have a fit and probably boot her back outside.

What can I do?

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just went through a similar situation.. new furniture and a kitty who loooves to scratch! We ended up buying her soft claws. They are little plastic caps that you glue over their claw so they can't tear anything up!! So far they have worked great! I know there are a lot of products out on the market to prevent scratching. Maybe hit your local pet store and see what they have to offer.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new furniture! Thats always fun

Your cat is going to need places where she is interesting in scratching on in order for her not to scratch on your new furniture. Buy a scratching post & some cat toys. Teach your cat how to claw on the cat pole. The cardboard you put down will help too. If your cat goes to scratch on your furniture, you want to stop that behavior asap by squirting her with a little water or doing a sound she doesn't like (like a "ch" sound) or whatever works for your cat. Hopefully everything works out!
Best Wishes to all of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

We just went through a similar situation.. new furniture and a kitty who loooves to scratch! We ended up buying her soft claws. They are little plastic caps that you glue over their claw so they can't tear anything up!! So far they have worked great! I know there are a lot of products out on the market to prevent scratching. Maybe hit your local pet store and see what they have to offer.
I just looked these up online. They sure look promising and I think I'm going to order a kit.

Do you know if you can get these at a petstore or do I have to order from them?
Meanwhile, I have the cardboard down and will correct her each time I see her scratching elsewhere.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I answered my own question.

Now I'm worried that I ordered ones too big. I got the meds but I can't use weight as a factor because she's a little shall we say--plump. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go through the trouble of returning them for smalls.

danad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear by Feliway Spray !!!!, you have to respray ever day or so, but worth it to me to change there behavior.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Congratulations on your new furniture! Thats always fun

Your cat is going to need places where she is interesting in scratching on in order for her not to scratch on your new furniture. Buy a scratching post & some cat toys. Teach your cat how to claw on the cat pole. The cardboard you put down will help too. If your cat goes to scratch on your furniture, you want to stop that behavior asap by squirting her with a little water or doing a sound she doesn't like (like a "ch" sound) or whatever works for your cat. Hopefully everything works out!
Best Wishes to all of you!
Thanks! If these tips work, I'll be so happy!