Kitten won't stop crying!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what's wrong with the black kitten I am hand-raising. She(I'm starting to think the kittens are girls) is 10 days old and as of today she been meowing almost all day long!

Yesterday I started feeding the kittens every 3 hours instead of every 2 hours. Do you think that maybe she is still taking time to adjust to the new feeding schedule?

I wipe, then feed, then cuddle and burp, then wipe again a couple minutes later. They both fall fast aslepp, and then about 30 minutes later the black kitten is screaming her head off again. AHHHHHHH!!!!! She's driving me up the walls, lol. I have no clue what's wrong.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding her every 2 hours again and see if that makes her happy.
Remember that she is very small, with a small tummy that can't hold much, but empties pretty fast.
Thank you for taking care of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, I guess I'll try that. Should I just slowly change her feeding times by about 10 minutes per feeding? Do you think that would work?

Shucks, I was kinda excited about getting a few extra hours of sleep tonight, lol.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the kittens deffently not getting cold?
has she something to snuggle up to?
when she starts crying what do you do?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, changing the feeding time back to every 2 hours seems to have helped alot.

The other day my alarm didn't go off at night and the kittens didn't get fed and their water didn't get heated. Because of that they both have gotten the sniffles, but they are still eating well and acting energetic, so I'm not too worried about it.

They are in a large box that I have seperated into 2 sections. I have them in one section right now and while give them the whole box when they are bigger. However, since they have the sniffles I place a bowl of really hot water in the empty half of the box so that it would "steam up" the box and help clear their congestion. It seems to be helping a little bit.

Do they have something to snuggle? Yes. I sewed a large, super cuddly baggy and then made a smaller bag to put inside. I put a bottle of hot water in the smaller bag so that it warms up the larger bag. They like to cuddle with it, so I'm hoping it helps them since they don't have a mommy.

When the kitten starts to cry I first wipe her to make sure she doesn't have to go pee/poo. Then I hold her for a while to help calm her down. After she calms down I put her back in the box. They are already eating a lot more then they should, so I don't want to overfeed them by offering them food each time they cry.

I hope I'm doing everything right. I really am trying my best.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would actually be more concerned about underfeeding rather than overfeeding. Normally, the kittens will stop when they are full. They need a lot of calories to help them grow.
Upper respiratory infections in very young kittens can be fatal if not treated. If you suspect that it is getting worse, take them in.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not getting any worse and has completely gone away in the white kitten, that's why I'm not really worried. However, as a precaution, I have some money on the way to cover any vet bills in case I need to take the black kitten. As well, I'm setting some money aside because I'm 100% sure that the white kitten will need the tip of her tail amputated.
It's completely dead and dried up and needs to be taken off as soon as she is old enough to safely have the surgery.

Poor babies.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I would actually be more concerned about underfeeding rather than overfeeding. Normally, the kittens will stop when they are full. They need a lot of calories to help them grow.
Upper respiratory infections in very young kittens can be fatal if not treated. If you suspect that it is getting worse, take them in.
over feeding can cause an upset tummy, which then you will have the worry of dehydration.

sometimes they cry for attention, so a cuddle like you have been doing is great. im glad the sniffles seems to be clearing

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, theyir poo isn't runny, so I guess I'm not overfeeding them(phew!).

Thanks you guys, you're really awesome and encouraging. I honestly have no idea what I would have done without you.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, now they REALLY have a reason to cry cause I seperated them .

The black kitten kept sucking on the white kitten's privates and they were getting red and sore. Also, the black kitten was getting a mouthful of pee/poo, which I know can't be healthy(ew!).

They were screaming their head off at first, but now they are starting to calm down a little bit. I have them in the same box, but there's a dividing piece of cardboard between them. The can smell, but not suck! lol

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 week old kitten who was meowing a lot too. I guessed it was because he missed his mommy, so I put a small stuffed animal in there with him and he settled down. Now he tackles the toy to the ground.

Good luck with those babies. They are very lucky to have you to care for them.