Question about insurance

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I posted that I got into a little fender bender today. Well, nobody took my insurance info so I figure that nobody will be reporting anything to my insurance company. I have no damage on my car and the other peoples damage was very minute. My DH says that they can still find out who I have insurance with and report it. Also can they even report a claim to my company if a police report wasn't even filed.?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...good question.

They can find out the insurance since you're insurance company (or you) registers proof of insurance through the state. Typically a copy of your insurance is filed with the DMV.
As for claiming without a police report, my guess would be yes, BUT your insurance company will contact you before anything is charged or happens, with or without the report.

Did you take photos at the time of the bender? camera phones come in handy for that.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can certainly find out who you have insurance with and contact them, did you offer to pay for the damages?
It may also be a condition of your insurance to contact them regardless of claiming in case there is a problem later on, so I would check into that

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Ok, I posted that I got into a little fender bender today. Well, nobody took my insurance info so I figure that nobody will be reporting anything to my insurance company. I have no damage on my car and the other peoples damage was very minute. My DH says that they can still find out who I have insurance with and report it. Also can they even report a claim to my company if a police report wasn't even filed.?
Yes. They don't have to have a police report to file a claim.

This is one of those wait and see moments. If your insurance company contacts you then you'll know.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in TN, if the damage is less than 500.00, you don't have to get the police involved at the time of the accident. But,if you want to file a claim on your insurance, you can still go to the police department and file a report. Did the other person get your name,license plate number,or your drivers license info? They at least have to have that to file against you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Here in TN, if the damage is less than 500.00, you don't have to get the police involved at the time of the accident. But,if you want to file a claim on your insurance, you can still go to the police department and file a report. Did the other person get your name,license plate number,or your drivers license info? They at least have to have that to file against you.
Yes, we each got a paper with everyones information on it

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's all they need, unfortunately. It might be a good idea to call your insurance company and let them know what happened, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Well, that's all they need, unfortunately. It might be a good idea to call your insurance company and let them know what happened, just in case.
Yeah but I'm afraid of opening my mouth for no reason so to speak. If there's a chance the other people won't file a claim then I don't want to be the one to bring it to my companies attention.