Lives your cat has used....

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the other threads I posted made me think of this. What are things that your cats have done that you just can't believe that they survived or came out OK? It is said they have 9 lives. I believe it!

A cat I had from the age of 4 to 23 did this when she was about 8 years old. We had recently moved and lived in an apartment complex. She was indoor/outdoor. (please don't bash me about this, both of the cats that I had before my current ones were indoor/outdoor. I think it is bred in some of them, and as much as you want them to be indoor only, they just won't be happy. My last one in particular)ANYWAY, she was let out early in the morning as usual to go hunt mice, or chase bugs, or get into stuff. Whatever it might be she usually did. This day though, she didn't come back at her usual time. While my mom went looking for her, we just figured she was hiding, or sleeping in a nice sunny spot.

During this time, a guy who lived a few doors down from us went to work. He worked on a construction site about 45 minutes away. This was in Memphis and during the summer. As we have now, we usually have VERY hot summers....upper 90s. On his way to work, he kept hearing scratching noises in his car. He didn't think too much of it. They would start and stop, no reason or rhythm. He made it to his work site and his car was parked in the hot sun for 10-12 hours. On his way home, he heard the noise again. When he got home, he started looking around his car, and out jumped my cat!! She had climed up over a tire and found a place to hide. He was in total shock and felt horrible. He scooped her up and brought her to my house and knocked on the door. My mom was speechless. The cat was absolutely fine. She was a bit thirsty, but other than that, she was unharmed.

After getting lots of love at home, she didn't have the urge to go outside for a few days. We still wonder why she stayed in the car the whole time he was at the construction site. It was like she knew that is not where she belonged and knew that he would bring her back. If she had gotten out there and not waited until he got back home, we may have never seen her again.

That was the 3rd or 4th lives she used.

Previous to that, we had moved 150 miles away. After we had been there for a few weeks, she disappeared. She was gone for 6 weeks. We had all decided that something had happened to her, and faced the fact that we might not see her again.

I came home from school one day to find her sitting on our picnic table! I had always hoped and prayed that she would come home, but never really believed she would. We think she might have been trying to find her way back to where we used to live. She had lost a lot of weight, but again was fine.

She lived a to a ripe age of 19 or 20. She was the oldest cat that our vet had ever seen. She passed in 2002. She definately had a very full life and used all 9 of her lives well!

Do you have any stories? Didn't mean for this to get so long!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby is 9 years and still has all of hers. She's too much of a chicken to take any risks and her health is great.

Chynna who is 15 years has used up one, when her previously family abandoned her when they moved out of the building I used to live in. No traumas or sicknesses or ailments since coming to live with me

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great thread!

well my story is about gracy real name grey stoke (i didnt name him)

a friend of the familys had died and left 2 cats behind, both males uneutered and never had a shot in there lives.
gracy was the oldest at 11 years old, and his Son Hansel was 7 years old. (we had to put him to rest when he was only 9 years old due to kidney cancer)

well before we even brought them home we took them to the vets to be neutered, picked them up the next day and all seemed fine, except gracy didnt settle in well, he looked like a demon cat lol.
a cupple of days went by and he was the same, i was doing the house work and pulled out my chest freezer and put it back aagin once i had swept, my kids had opend the back door to get one of there toys so i quicky shut it before i put the freeze right back.

a little while later i couldnt find gracy anywhere, and remembered about the back door, i panicked, we searched high and low everywhere outside, put up flyers ask everyone if they had seen him. nothing, i was starting to think we had lost him for good.
2 weeks later i had to pull the chest freezer out as a bill had droped behind there, and out run this *thing* that scared the living daylights out of me, it was gracy!!!!!! he was fine , very dehydrated we got him to the vet asap who gave him some fluids but said he was fine. they was quite a mess behind that freezer, and what he never once meowed to let anyone know he was behind there i felt so quilty he had been there with no food or water and sitting/sleeping in his own waste.

his a healthy 15 year old now and the most loverable cat you could ask for.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Abby is 9 years and still has all of hers. She's too much of a chicken to take any risks and her health is great.
Trout is the same way thankfully. She is an indoor kitty so she doesn't get into alot of trouble.

She got really sick once last year and I almost lost her..so I guess she has 8 lives left

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats have used any lives, besides maybe Namine. She was a stray before we rescued her from the SPCA so I guess that counts for one?

But my mom's cat, he used up a lot of his lives.

My mom rescued him from the woods behind my grandparents house when she was in her early 20s. So there's one. Two, he swallowed a sewing needle. Three, he caught his tail on fire from the stove. Four, (okay, no pet abuse rants here). He peed on my dad in the middle of the night, and my dad woke up and was angry, and threw him off the bed and he hit a wall. He was okay, he ran just ran underneath the bed. And five, he got out of our house one night in a thunder and lightning storm. (He was an indoor cat)

He was a great cat, and lived to be around 18 or 19, before he died of a cancerous tumor. My mom had to put him down because he was getting skinny and the tumor was growing. She was heartbroken about it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When I wake up every morning, I'm always surprised that Loki is still alive! What a nut! He's not called "Loco Loki" for nothing.

Today's latest adventure: I was peeling apples in order to can applesauce, and they came in a a small paper sack with looped handles, which I left empty on the table. I heard a noise, then saw a black cat with the sack over his entire head (like a horse in a feedbag) stumbling around, trying to get the bag off his head. (He had somehow gotten his head through the handles). I thought about getting the camera, but took pity on him, and got it off him. I didn't even have to see his face to know who it just HAD to be (Loki has a twin brother, Willi, who is much more laid-back)!

Whenever we hear a weird noise, something crashing/falling, etc., DH and I usually say in unison, "Must be Loki!" It almost always is. A couple of weeks ago, Loki again got himself caught in an item--this time, a nylon tent case. Yes, a tent case. To make a long story short, I had bought a kiddie tent for the cats, thinking it was a pop-up type of camping tent. The rationale: thought I could set it up in the living room, lure the little monsters in, and trap them into their carriers for vet's appointments (I have 9 cats, and it ain't easy). The tent came in a nifty nylon zippered case, with carrying handles. I left it behind the sofa. I was cleaning in that room, heard a noise, and found Loki wound up in the case, on his belly. He looked just like a service dog, with one of those colorful nylon "saddles" they wear! Dumbo couldn't extricate himself from it, so I had to get him out of it--rather like trying to get an infant's legs and arms out of one of those 1-piece stretch things.

Loki's done a lot of other goofy, and often, dangerous things, but I can't remember them right now! He;s a great, loving, sweet cat, but a nutcase. Who also drinks bubblebath, but that's another story...

Marge, who, until we found Loki, was the house lunatic, once ran into a BURNING fireplace, before I could catch her. She went all the way around the fire, not burning even a hair!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitters has used up two or three of her lives! A few years ago we thought she had pyometra but it ended up being ovarian cysts, and this last time we got her shots she had a really really bad reation and I thought it was going to be the end. But she is all good now and just as spunky as ever. She'll be 7 in 2 weeks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sho was incredibly sick with an URI when I got him from my grandmother years ago, and Tomas was just plain lucky that I found him before the winter storm hit here.

Neither have done anything that would take off any of their lives, but I know they've both given me enough scares to shorten my life.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chevy is sonly 13 months old and still has all his lives so far....

Summer probably lost one or two when she had to have 2 surgeries for eating stuff. Once was string, and another for scotch tape!

When I was younger, my parents raised Oscars. They are fish that will eat other small fish, worms, etc. They would also rub against your hand if you placed it in the water. Well, my step dad must have left the lid open one day when Fluffy climbed up on it and decided to lick the water on the surface. The Oscar must have thought the tongue was a worm and bit the cat's tongue!!! Fluffy fell in the tank. For the next few hours, Fluffy kept licking her lips (tongue wasn't bleeding or swollen) and the Oscar kept pacing his tank....to this day, we feel its a toss up on who was more surprised by the whole deal....the fish or the cat!!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived on a back road with a big firld of pine trees across from us. At 2 times during the day, the road is filled with crazy drivers going to and from work at the nuclear plant. I was coming home during that time and Fred ran out of the pine trees, across in front of me, bewteen 2 speeding cars, up the porch on to the high pitched roof, where a few minutes later he lost his footing because his brother was chasing him and tumbled off the roof, narrowly missing the outdoor shower and landed in the soft grass. As far as I know, he never crossed the road again. He would also fight anything that moved if it was on his turf and made him feel threatened. If it didn't threaten him, he would make friends with it. He had a possum as a buddy for awhile. It is amazing he made it 18 years.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh lord... Simon must have used at least 3 or 4 by now, and he's only one and a half!! Just last night we heard this HUUUGE crash and went out to the living room and he had knocked down a big, heavy, ceramic lamp! He wasn't hurt at all and was trying to get us to play. Silly kitty! (ps the lamp was fine too, miraculously)

Our new kitty has lost a couple of lives too. She was found by her previous owner outside in winter, and her tail was frozen into the snow so she couldn't move! They had to dump hot water over her tail to get her out. Then later, their other cat was terrorizing her so badly that she wouldn't use the litterbox and got a UTI. She's fine now though. Poor kitty! I hope she has a better life with us. <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

When I was younger, my parents raised Oscars. They are fish that will eat other small fish, worms, etc. They would also rub against your hand if you placed it in the water. Well, my step dad must have left the lid open one day when Fluffy climbed up on it and decided to lick the water on the surface. The Oscar must have thought the tongue was a worm and bit the cat's tongue!!! Fluffy fell in the tank. For the next few hours, Fluffy kept licking her lips (tongue wasn't bleeding or swollen) and the Oscar kept pacing his tank....to this day, we feel its a toss up on who was more surprised by the whole deal....the fish or the cat!!!!
OMG!! That is so funny!!
I'm glad that the cat was Ok, though!