is any one here pregnant or have had children

louisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is it normal to feel really scared about labour i had a panick attack last night just thinking about it
i never been scared of much and have never had a panick attack. im just worring about every thing the most is pain and if its too strong and i cant cope
oh keeps telling me im worring over nothing but he aint the one who has to push a watermellon through a key hole sorry about that. anyway this is my first baby a boy and doctors think he is a big one and in a way i cant wait to get him out i feel so fat and ugly at the moment!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I haven't been through it but I think it is perfectly normal to feel that way. It is something you have never experienced before. I'm sure the mothers on the site will come along and give some guidance to reducing the anxiety.

Congratulations and good luck

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes its normal to feel very scared. i know i did with my first oh and second and third lol. it never gets easier lol.
congratulations.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's perfectly normal to worry about labour and what it's going to be like. I remember being elated when we found out that I was pregnant; then, after getting used to the thought, it suddenly occurred to me that now the baby was there it would have to come out

I had many many times where I worried what the labour would be like. In the end, circumstances meant that I had an epidural. I had a peaceful labour and at the end of it, a beautiful daughter

Whichever way you decide to give birth, at the end of it you will have your beautiful baby. Be informed and prepared and it is true what they say. I cannot remember at all what those labour pains I experienced before the epidural were like.

Good luck!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feel free to use drugs!!!

I'm having a c section in 3 weeks so am worrying about the all that, as well general new parent worries. Pregnancy hormones do weird things to you, and make you irrational I'm finding...

How far along are you? Have you been to baby classes and talked about pain relief options with your doctor?

I keep telling myself if it was really bad, nobody would get pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i have just under 4 weeks left to go and yes i went to baby class at the begining of the pregnancy and i find out what could happen during labour in those class has made me scared more it wasnt a very nice lady running the classes and i ended up leaving i couldnt find another to join, she was rather foul to me and another lady in the class because we asked alot of questions at one point she told us that we was only having a baby its simple just push the ugly thing out, the problem with women today is there just lazy, if you want the baby deal with the pain, and when i asked about water birth she told me not to bother i probley have a c section any way because im a wimp, this was when i left and made a formal complant which i recived a letter saying i took it way out of proportion and she was only joking, although she understands it wasnt polite of her and has said sorry and would like you to join her class again. I guess i missed the funny side of that and would never go back to someone who thinks its funny to upset a pregnant women just looking for answers. i have talked with my doctor about pain meds and im gonna try and stick with gas and air but if it kills ill be screaming for drugs the epidural looks scary the thought of that in my spine creeps me out but if i need it ill need it. I been having brixton hicks alot lately so i know for sure the time is coming im going for my 3d scan tommorow which i cant wait to see. This may be my first and last baby
adoption may be easier

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you've come across some real jerks.
Of course it's normal to be scared! But remember that the doctors deliver babies every day and it's completely routine for them. They have also encountered every problem possible and have the knowledge and equipment to deal with it. Look around at how many people there are and you'll see that it can't be that awful (or people would never have a second or third child).

I was scared, too, but had different concerns, and it was fine. It will work out well for you, too! Hope you can relax and I wish you well.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal to be nervous. The majority of births are normal, with no complications. My first son weighed 10 lb 1 oz, I had him with natural childbirth and went home, the next day. Son #2 was just as easy. My DIL had 10 lb worth of twins, the first time and her second birth went without a hitch, too.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was terrified to go into labor. I was late with my daughter, and she was a large baby. It is almost surreal, and I remembered very little of the pain the minute they handed her to me. Almost everyone has some fears, and feels panicky toward the end of her pregnancy when you finally feel the first contraction and know it is time. What you are feeling is normal. Relax as much as you can, read, nap, pamper yourself. The feeling of being fat and ugly is normal as well. You are almost due to give birth. Many people find that beautiful. I am sure you are getting many well wishes and vibes from all of us. They really do help. Best of luck, and I hope everything goes well for you. Please keep us posted.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Feel free to use drugs!!!

I'm having a c section in 3 weeks so am worrying about the all that, as well general new parent worries. Pregnancy hormones do weird things to you, and make you irrational I'm finding...

How far along are you? Have you been to baby classes and talked about pain relief options with your doctor?

I keep telling myself if it was really bad, nobody would get pregnant

I didn't have drugs with my oldest but by god I did with my youngest!!!! He was almost 9lbs!

They can now hook you up with a button to push when you feel pain... GET IT!

You won't feel a thing with it

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louisa, yes it's perfectly normal to feel anxious about labor! I am a firm believer that knowledge is power, and I did a TON of reading while I was pg w/Dani. It helped me a lot to know what to expect, at least the idea of what to expect. I agree that the instructor you had was way out of line, but I think you should find another class to go to -- it helps to know you're not the only woman who feels this way!!!

Only four weeks to go eh? YAY!!! your little one will soon be in your arms, and all that anxiety will be a distant memory -- you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 5ft 4in tall and weigh 8st (about 130lb) My son was 7lb 12oz, so was a big boy for my size.

I was very scared of labour but only ended up with the wonderful stuff they call Gas and Air. I loved it. My mum was there and couldn't believe how well I did.

Take all the pain relief your offered as and when you need it.

You'll forget about the labour when your holding your little baby in your arms, it will be a distant memory.

Good Luck Girl, and don't forget, it's the most natural thing in the world and millions of women go through it all the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember being really scared about labor. I was one of the lucky ones - had him in 2 1/2 hrs from start of labor (and first one too). The pain really hurt but I have a high tolerance of pain and am far more scared of needles then labor

We took the Lamaze classes so I was pretty much prepared for things.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't remember being really scared about labor. I was one of the lucky ones - had him in 2 1/2 hrs from start of labor (and first one too). The pain really hurt but I have a high tolerance of pain and am far more scared of needles then labor

We took the Lamaze classes so I was pretty much prepared for things.
argg needles, i remember after having my first child, i only wanted gas and air through out i was in hard labour for 15 hours, 22 hours altogether.
then after they told me they had to give me a v.k injection in my behind that was so much worse then the delivery lol

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just under 3 month left until my due date and I'm aleady starting to get freaked out. I tried to tell my husband that if I carried the baby for 9 months the least he could do was push it out for me. (He didn't buy that one).

I've been up late (and I mean LATE) at night doing research about all things baby related. There are some other wonderful sites out there dedicated to helping pregnant mommies and first time mommies with their fears and concerns. I don't know if I can post them on the board but feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to link you to my favorite pregnancy message board/website! It's been helping a lot but I'm still really scared for the day I have to push this little devil out.... (and here I'm thinking him kicking my bladder is uncomfortable... ha ha!!)

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very normal to be scared. Just think about women 100 years ago; they had no 'help'. You will have modern medicine on your side!
A friend of mine told me years ago when I was pregnant with my first "It hurts, but you forget about it afterwards".
Don't let what you've seen on TV or stories that other women have told you 'I was in labor for 5 days!' stuff scare you.