RODENT ULCERS ***help!!!***

catzie1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Bella has been struggling with rodent ulcers for about 2 years now. I have only recently found a vet (fresh out of school) that actually listened to me and concurred with my findings that she does indeed have "rodent ulcers".

We tried changing her to an allergy sensitive diet, but that was only a temporary fix, as she has redeveloped them.
We've tried Baytril, an oral pill. It clears it up, but they do flare back up. He also is concerned with extrensive use of Baytril as it can eventually cause blindness if overused, according to his text books.

Has anyone else had a problem with these ulcers? Can you offer us any other suggestions or options?

Please help!

Melissa and Bella (the kitty cat)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an article in the October issue of Cat Fancy magazine about rodent ulcer. I believe the first line of treatment is usually steriods and antibiotics. The article recommends removing all plastic dishes, switching food to a novel protein source, lowering stress and eliminating fleas.

For more information on rodent ulcer, you can Google either "rodent ulcer" or "indolent ulcer" or "eosinophilic granuloma".

Good luck to you and Bella!

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat had rodent ulcer - I remember her being on a steroid to clear it (and Baytril looks to just be an antibiotic). (I don't know if her cat was on antibiotics at the same time - I can find out, and I suspect she probably was - but I am sure the steroids were necessary, according to the vet).

And, like pookie said, a non-plastic water dish is necessary.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pinky has had them chronically for about 5 years. They got a lot better when I threw out all of the plastic bowls in the house, including the plastic mat that they used to rest on. They only flare up now when I get lax at sterilizing the food and water bowls in the house.

Make sure you sterilize your food bowls in a dishwasher at least once a week and wash out thoroughly each day. If you can sterilize every day its even better.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catzie1978

My cat Bella has been struggling with rodent ulcers for about 2 years now. I have only recently found a vet (fresh out of school) that actually listened to me and concurred with my findings that she does indeed have "rodent ulcers".

We tried changing her to an allergy sensitive diet, but that was only a temporary fix, as she has redeveloped them.
We've tried Baytril, an oral pill. It clears it up, but they do flare back up. He also is concerned with extrensive use of Baytril as it can eventually cause blindness if overused, according to his text books.

Has anyone else had a problem with these ulcers? Can you offer us any other suggestions or options?

Please help!

Melissa and Bella (the kitty cat)
I can't believe you just posted this!!! I just cut out the article from the October issue of Cat Fancy (not in stores yet, but I subscribe) for my friend in NY whose cat is plagued with this problem. It is a 3-page article and some of it suggests it's due to ALLERGIES. You have to try a few things to see what might be causing it, from changing from using plastic bowls to ceramic or stainless steel, maybe it's an allergy to something in the food, etc. Pick up the issue as soon as it comes out!!

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excuse my ignorance...are rodent ulcers the same thing as feline chin acne?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catzie1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The feline cat acne, according to the vet, is the same thing, or at least is caused by the same thing.

Bella has been using ceramic bowls... it just dawned on me that I use the automatic water bowls, which are plastic, so I will remove those for a while and see how we fare.

I had a previous vet put her on steroids, but I refuse to go that route again, as she developed a strange and life threatening reaction. She developed fluid on the lungs, and I nearly lost her. All from just the steroid treatment.

I will check out petsmart tomorrow when I pick up a stainless water bowl and get the cat fancy magazine a few of you have sugested.

Any additional advise is greatly appreciated!!!

Melissa and Bella, (the cat)