Breeder selling to a novice...

jlcp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

How difficult will it be to get a breeder to sell you a show/breeding quality kitten/cat when you are a novice? Any advice?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A "good " breeder likely would sell you a show quality alter first ... so you get experience in the ring with a "good " cat

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I don't think it's hard to get a show quality neutered or spayed cat. It's the breeding rights that good breeders don't give out to novices.

It's also a good idea for anyone who wants to breed to have a show quality neutered/spayed cat first and show in cat shows. You get to know your breed then well first, both through owning one and by seeing the judges selecting cats in the show and meeting the other people who are showing. You'll be much better prepared for breeding after that if that's what you're planning on doing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most good breeders will not sell breeding cats to novices. Its better to start off with a show quality neuter/spay and get your feet wet, get to know breeders, learn the breed inside and out and THEN establish a good relationship with another quality breeder to get your first breeding cat. You also need to be serious about showing and breeding - not just get a pretty cat to breed cause its a purebred. Good breeding takes a lot of money to get quality - and you don't make money either! You are lucky to break even after all expenses.

BTW its better to start with a female. Males will spray and you will have to cage him. And that breeding cat should also be proven in the ring to the highest level. A championship cat is fairly easy to obtain - the Grand Champion is a lot harder and more worthy of breeding.

There are exceptions to the rule - some cats hate showing but will produce quality cats that Grand time and again
Charlie's mom is like that - she never was show but has produced at least one Grand in every litter (and is out of a ton of Grands herself)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The simple answer is: "not easy at all". As the others have said, it is better to get your feet wet by showing a neuter first, getting to know the breeders. Even I, who is not quite a novice still have to submit to the breeders my "letters" of recommendation to ensure the breeders know that I am not kidding, trustworthy and passionate about my chosen breed!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I am a novice breeder, I am at work so can't write for too long.

1) Read, read, read. Everything on your chosen breed and the subject of breeding. I did this for a year and half.

2) A show quality neuter is a great idea, going to cat shows you will meet many different breeders. You can also see good examples of your chosen breed and actaully see what the SOP in front of you. I feel in love with the Siamese and Balinese breed because of Mica my Bali neuter.

3) Approach a good established breeder to mentor you. If you have researched well they should be happy to help you or refer you to some one else.

Good luck!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the same in Aus. Most breeders I've spoken to at shows only sell spay/neuters. It sounds good advice to research & buy a good neuter first.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

1) Read, read, read. Everything on your chosen breed and the subject of breeding ...

2) A show quality neuter is a great idea, going to cat shows you will meet many different breeders. You can also see good examples of your chosen breed and actaully see what the SOP in front of you ...

3) Approach a good established breeder to mentor you. If you have researched well they should be happy to help you or refer you to some one else.
This is excellent advice. I will add that it takes a great deal of both time and dedication to find a willing breeder/mentor, to establish a good, trusting relationship with that person and to work out all the details of your exchange. In many cases, years can pass before an established breeder is ready to give you a cat to start out with in your program. You will kiss a lot of frogs before you find the right person and the process can be ... frustrating at best.

But, if you are sincerely dedicated to bettering your chosen breed and to work within responsible, ethical parameters in your program, you will find someone who recognizes this in you and will be willing to help you get started.

Don't get discouraged and don't give up. Best of luck.