"The Bills Support Group"

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after reading another thread... I decided to start this thread. Actually, the person that thought of this idea is StacyD1987 (Thank You!
) So she inspired me.. hehe!

This thread is going to be exactly what the title says: The Bills Support Group. That means anyone that is struggling with paying their bills can come here to get support, advice, or to just chat. LOL

All of my life I have been living paycheck to paycheck, and just can't seem to get ahead. It seems like for every 2 steps forward, I take 1 step back.
It's just not going as well as I would like.

So far my situation has been where I live in a 3 bedroom house, with 3 people and I was the only one paying the bills.
Well, as some of you may know- I broke up with my bf and am now living with my dad. I still need to pay some of the bills at the old house though, because I haven't got my name off the lease yet. I'm trying to save up money, but just don't think I'm doing it right.

Does anyone have any good tips on managing your money? On how to not live paycheck to paycheck? Wise ways of investing your money? Any other tips we could use?

I will speak for everyone here.... BILLS STINK!

So, welcome to "The Bills Support Group: Where people help people live!"

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a ROTH IRA? Any money market funds? I would start one of each of those. The roth is for retirement and the money fund is a SAFE way to invest and save money all at the same time. You can put as little as $25 a month if you want.
Get a ledger book, keep all your receipts and see where your money is going. Pay in cash for things outside of the necessities. This will keep you from spending money where you really shouldn't.
If you see something you want, ask yourself if you really need it. If you do, save up to get it instead of charging it on a credit card. This will only put you further in debt unless it is something that you seriously need (i.e. something breaks) since a lot of people pay their credit card off on a monthly balance instead of paying the whole balance off at once.
Do you drink a lot of sodas? You can always recycle them and earn money. It's not much, but it does add up. I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I hope I have been able to help a bit.

Sabrina

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've posted this before but I'm not working and DH's check garnishment hasn't stopped yet. We have no money to pay our bills. I have to mooch of my mom and it sucks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Do you have a ROTH IRA? Any money market funds? I would start one of each of those. The roth is for retirement and the money fund is a SAFE way to invest and save money all at the same time. You can put as little as $25 a month if you want.
Get a ledger book, keep all your receipts and see where your money is going. Pay in cash for things outside of the necessities. This will keep you from spending money where you really shouldn't.
If you see something you want, ask yourself if you really need it. If you do, save up to get it instead of charging it on a credit card. This will only put you further in debt unless it is something that you seriously need (i.e. something breaks) since a lot of people pay their credit card off on a monthly balance instead of paying the whole balance off at once.
Do you drink a lot of sodas? You can always recycle them and earn money. It's not much, but it does add up. I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I hope I have been able to help a bit.

Sabrina
Sabrina,

You made a few good points there. Thanks.

First of all, I don't have any credit cards. I only have debit cards.
And no, I don't have money invested into anything right now... I can barely pay my bills now let alone save money for retirement!

I really liked your tip about keeping track of where my money goes. I think I will keep a little notebook and track everything I spend. That will probably help.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I know I've posted this before but I'm not working and DH's check garnishment hasn't stopped yet. We have no money to pay our bills. I have to mooch of my mom and it sucks.
Yeah, that stinks.

I have been in the same boat, sort of. My situation is the opposite... I'm working and my bf (now ex-bf) and roommate weren't working. We had no money because I can not afford to take care of 3 people. I've bummed alot of money off of family. That's what they are there for, right?

Are you able to work? Have you applied for jobs? Is there any way you can pick up a job, maybe even just part time, to help with the bills? I know on craigslist.org you can find little temporary jobs as well. Or like one time only jobs...which helps give extra money every once in a while. I guess maybe I don't know the whole situation, so there's not much I can do to help.

Keep your chin up though, life does get better....someday!

taterkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our money wouldn't be so tight if my hubby hadn't bought a truck before we got married. That's $600/month!! Ugh!! We have about 2 years left on it and then we should be ok. We both work but we just recently started to try and save money so we don't have much yet and it's definitely not enough to pay off all these sudden medical bills but we will use what we've got. I've stopped using my credit cards and will pay them off next income tax time and they will never be used again!! I'm trying to get us on the right track but sometimes it's very frustrating.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterkitty

Our money wouldn't be so tight if my hubby hadn't bought a truck before we got married. That's $600/month!! Ugh!! We have about 2 years left on it and then we should be ok. We both work but we just recently started to try and save money so we don't have much yet and it's definitely not enough to pay off all these sudden medical bills but we will use what we've got. I've stopped using my credit cards and will pay them off next income tax time and they will never be used again!! I'm trying to get us on the right track but sometimes it's very frustrating.
I completely agree! It is very very hard to get on the right track, and stay there. Thats why I'm struggling so much.

Is there any way to get his monthy truck payment reduced? $600 a month is quite a bit of money, and I'm not sure about your financial situation, but that would kill my paycheck! LOL It's worth looking into.

Credit cards are the devil.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Sabrina,

You made a few good points there. Thanks.

First of all, I don't have any credit cards. I only have debit cards.
And no, I don't have money invested into anything right now... I can barely pay my bills now let alone save money for retirement!

I really liked your tip about keeping track of where my money goes. I think I will keep a little notebook and track everything I spend. That will probably help.
That really helped my mother--as soon as she saw how much she was spending at starbucks each month it pretty much horrified her out of her caffeine.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

That really helped my mother--as soon as she saw how much she was spending at starbucks each month it pretty much horrified her out of her caffeine.
Yeah, I would believe that. Think you are at least spending like $4 every time you go in there... and maybe more! Per visit...wow! That's as bad as smoking, it just eats your money up!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im 29 and still lliving paycheck to paycheck
I know my number one money sucker is eating out, I hate to clean up after cooking so I never cook
but I'm going to start grocery shopping and cooking, I know that will save me a TON of money. I live on my own and don't have help with the bills, sometimes I wonder if finding a BF might be worth having someone to split the bills with
but then I come to my senses

if you have a 401 (k) program at work thsty is an excellent way to save. I do that even though money can be tight because my company matched 80 cents to the dollar!

I'm hoping my 30s are going to be a lot better than my 20s because I made a lot of money mistakes in my 20s.

and you're totally right, CCs are the devil

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Im 29 and still lliving paycheck to paycheck
I know my number one money sucker is eating out, I hate to clean up after cooking so I never cook
but I'm going to start grocery shopping and cooking, I know that will save me a TON of money. I live on my own and don't have help with the bills, sometimes I wonder if finding a BF might be worth having someone to split the bills with
but then I come to my senses

if you have a 401 (k) program at work thsty is an excellent way to save. I do that even though money can be tight because my company matched 80 cents to the dollar!

I'm hoping my 30s are going to be a lot better than my 20s because I made a lot of money mistakes in my 20s.

and you're totally right, CCs are the devil
Sweetie, trust me here: Getting a BF will not help your money problems.... it will make it worse. If you don't believe me read my thread "How to break up with a boyfriend."

At work we don't have anything. No 401K, no insurance even, no NOTHING!!

I'm only 22, so hopefully I can get out of this rut sometime soon!

I would suggest to you- to start cooking at home. I know you don't want to.. but it will save you SOOO much money! You will be surprised. With that extra money you save- you can hire a maid to clean up after you!
hehe

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you know, I've been poor all my life. I've been working since I was 15 years old... at that point I worked to help my mother pay bills. Now I've got a good job, with a good salary, albeit in an expensive area to live in, but I just can't seem to get ahead. I have been depositing a little bit to my savings every paycheck, but honeslty... it's just not even adding up very fast. We are so pay check to pay check. I guess I *could* cut back on my cat-related spending... but I absolutely do not want to cut back on their vet care, or on their food (and actually, I think I'll be spending less once I can start grinding their raw than I would be for packeted or commercial food).. but honestly, while I spend more on them than I need to or possibly should.. I should still be ahead with my salary.

Of course, that being said, I just went out and bought all new litter boxes and kitty litter today.. which was $150, all told, or thereabouts.

Anyway.. I've found a few ways to save a little bit on my spending. I shop sales only at my clothing store. I usually wait till stuff hits clearance before I buy it. If I go in and I see something I *absolutely* have to have, I have them hold it for 24 hours, and if I still *have* to have it, I go back and get it. Sometimes I'll just be like, eh, it's not important enough to go back over there and get it. I also heavily shop ebay for super bargains on clothing (be careful with this habit, though... it's way too tempting to compete for an item. I have to absolutely set a limit on how much I'll spend for something).

I try to make food for a week, or set up my meals for the week in advance so that I don't go out to eat downtown during the work week and mostly come home for dinner, instead of going to a restaurant.

I use the washing machine and dishwasher late at night or in "off-peak" hours when the water rate is cheaper. Check with your water company to see if they have a reduced rate for off-peak hours. If you pay for water, don't throw any water away. Put something outside to catch rain to water your plants with, whenever it's available.

I just bought a chest style freezer, mainly for storage of animal food so I can take advantage of super duper cheap sales on chicken... but also so I can take advantage of super duper sales on other foods that I can then freeze.

These are a few websites that help you find cheap gas: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...X_PK=cheap_gas

Word on heating and cooling: I know it's a common myth but I read this and then called the utility companies to check on it with them... and the guy said that basically this is true although they don't recommend it (of course not, because they make more money if we don't use it)... I've always been told that you need to keep your house at a steady temperature. What I've recently found out is that you should either invest in a timer (which I haven't done yet), or simply turn your heat or airconditioning to a temperature where it's not working as hard when you're not at home or while you're sleeping.. I did this over the winter and it's saved about $60 a month for me in gas costs. I'd turn it down to about 62 or 64 degrees when we went to bed, and then while we were at work, and we'd turn it up when we came home for a few hours. What we were told is that it works hard to heat up (or cool down) but then subsequently it balances out when the longer period that it doesn't run while the temperature is adjusting in the opposite direction. And just in case that didn't make sense.. if you turn your heat up when you get home and the heater runs for 30 minutes, when you turn it back down, that extra time that it ran to heat the house to the higher temperature is made up by the time that it takes for the house to cool from 80 to 65 (or whatever the temperatures were). The money saved is far larger than the money saved by keeping it at one steady temperature.

Erm, that's all I can think of at the moment.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Yeah, you know, I've been poor all my life. I've been working since I was 15 years old... at that point I worked to help my mother pay bills. Now I've got a good job, with a good salary, albeit in an expensive area to live in, but I just can't seem to get ahead. I have been depositing a little bit to my savings every paycheck, but honeslty... it's just not even adding up very fast. We are so pay check to pay check. I guess I *could* cut back on my cat-related spending... but I absolutely do not want to cut back on their vet care, or on their food (and actually, I think I'll be spending less once I can start grinding their raw than I would be for packeted or commercial food).. but honestly, while I spend more on them than I need to or possibly should.. I should still be ahead with my salary.

Of course, that being said, I just went out and bought all new litter boxes and kitty litter today.. which was $150, all told, or thereabouts.

Anyway.. I've found a few ways to save a little bit on my spending. I shop sales only at my clothing store. I usually wait till stuff hits clearance before I buy it. If I go in and I see something I *absolutely* have to have, I have them hold it for 24 hours, and if I still *have* to have it, I go back and get it. Sometimes I'll just be like, eh, it's not important enough to go back over there and get it. I also heavily shop ebay for super bargains on clothing (be careful with this habit, though... it's way too tempting to compete for an item. I have to absolutely set a limit on how much I'll spend for something).

I try to make food for a week, or set up my meals for the week in advance so that I don't go out to eat downtown during the work week and mostly come home for dinner, instead of going to a restaurant.

I use the washing machine and dishwasher late at night or in "off-peak" hours when the water rate is cheaper. Check with your water company to see if they have a reduced rate for off-peak hours. If you pay for water, don't throw any water away. Put something outside to catch rain to water your plants with, whenever it's available.

I just bought a chest style freezer, mainly for storage of animal food so I can take advantage of super duper cheap sales on chicken... but also so I can take advantage of super duper sales on other foods that I can then freeze.

These are a few websites that help you find cheap gas: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...X_PK=cheap_gas

Word on heating and cooling: I know it's a common myth but I read this and then called the utility companies to check on it with them... and the guy said that basically this is true although they don't recommend it (of course not, because they make more money if we don't use it)... I've always been told that you need to keep your house at a steady temperature. What I've recently found out is that you should either invest in a timer (which I haven't done yet), or simply turn your heat or airconditioning to a temperature where it's not working as hard when you're not at home or while you're sleeping.. I did this over the winter and it's saved about $60 a month for me in gas costs. I'd turn it down to about 62 or 64 degrees when we went to bed, and then while we were at work, and we'd turn it up when we came home for a few hours. What we were told is that it works hard to heat up (or cool down) but then subsequently it balances out when the longer period that it doesn't run while the temperature is adjusting in the opposite direction. And just in case that didn't make sense.. if you turn your heat up when you get home and the heater runs for 30 minutes, when you turn it back down, that extra time that it ran to heat the house to the higher temperature is made up by the time that it takes for the house to cool from 80 to 65 (or whatever the temperatures were). The money saved is far larger than the money saved by keeping it at one steady temperature.

Erm, that's all I can think of at the moment.
I agree. I also only buy clothes when they are on sale. Although I am still at home saving for a house, I know the time will come where I will be hoping I can even pay my bills and try to save a bit each month.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, glad my idea went to good use!

Well, my Army husband and I are waiting diligently for the next payday which is going to come on the 31st this months since the 1st of next month is a Saturday. We're hoping that the BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) will kick in but if not,
! One of his supervisors who doesn't have a family and knows about our situation offered to help pay for the rent if it comes to it. I honestly don't want him to because I usually never feel comfortable asking for money from others. I was able to cash $85 worth of checks that we had almost forgotten about so we can have food for the next 5 days. Kittens are fine though as usual. They have plenty of food and litter for the next month! That's because meowmy was smart to stock up ahead. Oi, I walked 2 miles to the bank and back in the +100 degree heat here in DC to cash them because I couldn't figure out the bus system and its maps. They're so confusing and I knew the way on foot better. And hubby was on the floor at the hospital so he couldn't help though he wanted. He brought home carnations for me tonight though.

I did our laundry in bulk tonight as well. Our apartment's machines charge $1.50 per load for the washer and the same for the dryer. Gr! And one of the washers double charged me!
I heard it's pretty common though I don't know how they would handle it to the residents, "Here's your $1.50 that you lost to washer number 117."
At least our water and electrical and gas are 'limitless' here. We pay a flat rent fee every month no matter how much or little we use, not like we go wild on it anyways.

Last time we went out to eat, including fast food: A month or two ago? And that was with a gift card from my birthday!

Last time we were not in debt: We didn't have trouble until we realized the BAH wasn't coming for the rent.
Last time we bought new clothes: When I saw a bra for less than $20 at Victoria Secret. I put it on my Angel card and they were cheaper than even Walmart!

Bills that need paid:
Credit card (3, one of which is our major bank card that's saved our butts for the rent until it got maxed out.)
Car insurance for our 93' Saturn SL1 (BTW, it gets over 40 mpg!
)
Rent from last month and this month (Stupid finance people, get your stuff together and pay the leasing office already!)
Next month's college payment for my Vet Tech program
Comcast for the internet
Sprint phone bill

I think I got them all... Thank goodness we don't have to worry about medical and vet bills since we're military. Gawd, I can't wait for them to backpay us the BAH and DLA (Dislocation Allowance). That'll definitely clear our credit card debt!

aktotx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Lol, glad my idea went to good use!

Well, my Army husband and I are waiting diligently for the next payday which is going to come on the 31st this months since the 1st of next month is a Saturday. We're hoping that the BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) will kick in but if not,
!
Its been awhile since I had to deal with military and the BAH. But from what I can remember we had to pay out of pocket one month and they remburised us back for that since it was them not getting it done on time. Has he been in long enough that he has leave built up and you could sell those days back? I know you can only do it 1 time I think. I would go to finance and talk to them about the troubles with the BAH. Is he getting his BAS? I can tell you after being in the military and then being married to the military (then divorcing the bas***d and the military) that it is hard to get ahead at first. I found that if you can make it on base to the family support center they can help you get things in order and I know with the air force they had the airmans attic which I could get clothes and household things for free you had to be e-5 and below I think. I also volunteered there and got first pick at somethings a few times a month. (and got free daycare when I worked) There is also the base thrift shops where you can sell or get things really cheap. Alot of bases have a wives club for both enlisted and officer and I found they too can help out in extreme times and you can make some good friends and do free or cheap activities. I could prob come up with more things but I'll stop.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sweetie, trust me here: Getting a BF will not help your money problems.... it will make it worse. If you don't believe me read my thread "How to break up with a boyfriend."
oh I know, I'm divorced and you can't find a much better way than to destroy your finances than a divorce

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the idea!

Now....if only you could come up with an idea to wipe out all of the bills in the world...
Wouldn't that be nice? You can have all the money in the world and not be happy, but as the saying goes money makes the world go round.