Panting & High Temprature :(

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max is at the Vet right now, he was there for a check up for when I had him there 2 weeks ago for a Severe UTI he had. He was on Clavamox for 2 weeks 2 times a day & went back today for a check up.

While I was there I brought up while I play with him after a short peroid of time he will Pant. & will get hot to the touch & often when I pet him he is hot to the touch.

His temprature while I was there was 103.8

While I was there the vet was quite perplexed by him. She asked if he was still playful.

I told her that 10 month old Max is still VERY playful... even while panting plays hard, VERY energetic, even in the middle of the night (he has been in quarentine in our bedroom) plays with his toys on our bed, attacks my feet, licks my feet to get my attention, the works. Normal young kitty buisness.

A comment made by her while I was there was that what she sees in cats that are on antiboitics and pant and have high fevers, their bodies are clearly trying to fight something they cannot fight & that they are looking at Cancer...
& that she is quite concerned about Max.

Right now Max is at the vet getting his white cell count & urine done.

I am BAWLING... I have had this kitty for 3 weeks and I am HEART BROKEN by the prospect of this news. NEVER would I have tought of something like this.

Does anyone have any words of wisdome, advise, similar scenarios for me? I am at a loss for words... I feel so empty

This kitty was my son Devlin's & he was excited when he saw him in the cage & I told him I was taking him to the doctor & not to worry, he'll be ok.... now I'm not so sure...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that I don't have any words of wisdom either.
Just wanted to let you know that your sweet little guy will be in my thoughts and Prayers.

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wait to see what the vet says about his cell count. I'm not a vet so, unfortunately, i can't say much to calm your worries.
*sorry*
I'd like to hope that your little baby is just panting from the hot weather--Puma (my first kitten) and Foosah (my most recent) often play so hard that they pant. They both had a URI and were just as playful as usual. Both stopped sneezing and the conjunctavitis has cleared up--and I was shocked to see that Foosah is playing harder and more frequently than ever! I didn't think it was possible because she was always such a playful little thing. Hopefully things will clear up for you and your kitten soon!
Best Wishes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been cool & rainy here... plus I keep it & 75 in the house.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice to give either, but I will be sending good vibes your way, and I hope that everything turns out okay!

KittKatt

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
((((HUGS)))) to Max and you. He looks like my Sammy, who is about 9, adopted.

That CBC - complete blood count - will say everything they need to know. High fevers usually are indicators of an infection of sorts, an "intruder" into the body, so the body heats up while it fights off the intruder... which could be a simple infection or something more complicated and bleak. They will first test for FeLV, FIV, FIP - and all these might be elusive with a 10 month old. They will run tests to see how high his white blood cell count is, and the red. The trick here is the proper diagnosis, as he's still a jr. cat and his entire immune system hasn't fully developed yet, so whatever intruder is in there, his body is fighting.

Please keep us posted on the results? We care very much.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max's White Blood cell count came back normal...

He still had a few crystals in his urine but it was very few, his urine was almost back to normal (his urine was completely bloody when I brought him in just 2 weeks ago)

The vet is still perplexed by Max's high fever & panting & tells me that it is a possiblity that he is having a reaction to the Clavamox treatment. She tells me to finish up the treatment (1 more day - finished Sunday) & to take his tempratures every day.

Well, His temps at the vet were. 103.8. I took his temps on Sunday and his temps were 102.0 (granted I was doing it right)
(he wasnt as behaved as at the vet) rather than completely stress him out... she is having me check his temps to see if his temps are staying low after being OFF of the Clavamox. I will have a friend here on Tuesday evening. She can help me to take Max's temprature, at that point Max will have been off of the Clavamox for 2 full days.

This morning I played with him & he did experience panting early on (he did have his last dose of Clavamox Sunday night) However out of curosity, I just now went up to play with him while typing this at 11pm and played with him for 10 minutes straight and he did not experience any panting & his ears & feet nor did his head get hot to the touch as it would before.

Would this tell me that he was indeed reacting badly to the Clavamox?!

It sure seems that way to me.

I hope this is good news for Max. I will play with him at various intervals tomorrow (he is still in quarrantine in my room) to see if he pants at all and take his temps in the evening with my friend. If all checks out well, I will call my vet with my findings.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So thinking about it last night... I was pretty angry
at my vet for making such a rash statement going from a UTI to saying that my cat might have CANCER, before exploring other options & making me such a mess for those hours before I got him back from the vet and heard about her findings in the blood work.

Then she tells me that he "could" have heart problems. But lets see how he does off of the Clavamox to see if that's it first before we explore further...

Why is she so quick to make it something so serious, just to pull my heart out and stomp on it on the floor while pulling all the green out of my Purse??!

I mean while I was there they did a swab of his ears to see if his ear mites were gone... (his files that I brought with tell them that he had ear mites as a KITTEN) then when the vet tech came back she was like oops, he doesnt have mites, he had them as a kitten, so his ears are all clean. & she pets him and calls him a good kitty. (& I get a charge that was UNNECESSARY) *sigh*

I'm beginning to really NOT like this vet...

In OTHER NEWS... here is a Max UPDATE for the morning.

I played with him this morning...

After playing for quite sometime, I was dissapointed see him Pant once. It was not right away like before... but he did do it, I was sad to see it happen. Could it be that the Clavamox is still in his system? How long does it take for medicine to COMPLETELY get OUT of their system?

I've been offering him water in various places with ice cubes in it to make it more enticing to increase his fluids... I want to begin to give my cats canned food as well as their dry, I am home all day so it would be just as convient for me to give wet in the AM and dry in the evening. I tried the same brand of canned of canned as the dry food I feed... 2 out of 3 like it. I want a 3 out of 3. So I need to try a different brand.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know Max was on Clavamox, did I miss that? I'm sorry! Yes, panting happens frequently with antibiotics - and GREAT news on the CBC. Super news there. Cat normal temp is 102.6 so it sounds as if this is subsiding a bit. Clavamox will stay in his system for about 48-72 hrs - it varies just as in humans, how long the residual effects are. Ice cubes ae great but the panting is more a reaction not to heat, believe it or not, the ice may or may not help. When my Sam had to be on Clavamox a spell I put a little home made chicken broth over the wet food and the dry food to get it all inside him as his appetite seemed depressed and it did the trick.

The vet probably wanted to put the worst case scenario for you on the table - and they will do that, because they have to, in case it did come back terminal. But it's not the message......it's the messenger. Sounds like you don't click with his bedside manner and for me, that's huge. I have to feel like I click and it feels right.

Please update, this is good encouraging news! Go Max!!!!!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im really sorry for all you are going through with max. All the could Be's your vet is saying, well why not get his heart checked, can she hear anything with her stethoscope? Can she take an xray, his white cell count is normal, that is good. Does he have loud nasal sounds? Did he have URI as a kitten? Could he be open mouth breathing due to a nose polyp or congestion?

MY opinion? Take this guy and get a second opinion. Let someone do a more in depth work up on this guy. Trust me there are differences between vets, oh and um, that annoys me that they checked him for ear mites, unrelated and not necessary. Are there arny cat only vets where you are?

PS, did he pant before the clavamox? I looked up reaction to it. Its rare to have breathing problems. I have seen it cause diarrhea and thats it.

Please keep us updated. Pm me any time

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

So thinking about it last night... I was pretty angry
at my vet for making such a rash statement going from a UTI to saying that my cat might have CANCER, before exploring other options & making me such a mess for those hours before I got him back from the vet and heard about her findings in the blood work.

Then she tells me that he "could" have heart problems. But lets see how he does off of the Clavamox to see if that's it first before we explore further...

Why is she so quick to make it something so serious, just to pull my heart out and stomp on it on the floor while pulling all the green out of my Purse??!

I mean while I was there they did a swab of his ears to see if his ear mites were gone... (his files that I brought with tell them that he had ear mites as a KITTEN) then when the vet tech came back she was like oops, he doesnt have mites, he had them as a kitten, so his ears are all clean. & she pets him and calls him a good kitty. (& I get a charge that was UNNECESSARY) *sigh*

I'm beginning to really NOT like this vet...
There was a vet like that at the practice my cats go to. When Buster started to lose a lot of weight, she automatically suspected it was cancer. Nonetheless, I freaked out for two days while anxiously awaiting the test results. I didn't think she did a good job of reassuring me nor did she offer other ideas to explain his weight loss. Fortunately, Buster's weight loss reflected an underlying anxiety disorder. Anyway, I think a lot of people felt the same way about this particular vet because she was asked to leave the practice soon after. The vet tech told me, "She creeped people out."

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Max is not suffering from cancer either. I hope he gets better soon!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vettech

PS, did he pant before the clavamox? I looked up reaction to it. Its rare to have breathing problems. I have seen it cause diarrhea and thats it.
Really? I have had six cats and two panted after/during the medication. hmmm... must be a Washington thing!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously, I have been a tech for 12 years and never seen or experienced a cat panting from clavamox. Im sure it happens now after reading this thread.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The previous vet exam when I picked him up, the vet had told me that Max HAD to be put on this $40 Dry Prescription Cat food because of the UTI.

I told her when I got Max he was on a particular food & (I only had him for 1 day before I took him IN and found that he had a SEVERE UTI !!!) & that I had slowly transitioned him to a food that I have ALL my cats on that is Vet Certified for urinary tract health & that it has a very low magnesium, & that its a Quality food with no By-Products (Nutro Max) & She proceeds to tell me.

Well, if its so Good, then he wouldn't have gotten this in the First Place.

... *sigh* has this woman even been paying attention??? I had JUST gotten this cat... I took him in to the Vet the day after I got him... he clearly HAD the infection WHEN I got him... he was not ON this food until AFTER I had him. *sigh*

ANYWAY... she tells me that I HAVE to feed him THIS food... it HAS to be HIS food for the REST of his life... or I WILL be starting from SQUARE 1.
She's standing over me like a dominant dog... I take the perscription card & put it in my pocket & say nothing.

@ this appointment there were still mild crystals in Max's urine, I was to finish up the meds, and to come back in a week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I go home read old threads, and read what I thought I had saw before, that the prescription thing is NOT necessary, what I am feeding is fine & to help him & my other cats infact, I decide to feed all of my cats Canned food in the AM & Dry in the PM.

They are LOVING this & infact my chunky monkey Horatio is getting down to a healthy weight with this new feeding routine.

They are eating Nutro Max Chicken & Lamb OR Chicken & Liver Canned in the morning & the same dry food in the evening, Nutro Max Chicken.

My cats have always had shiney coats & been energetic... but WOW! They are shinier and MORE energetic since starting this! Its GREAT!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I wasn't able to take Max back in 1 week, I took him back in 2 weeks to have another urinalysis done. After the test, it came back perfect.

The vet said his Urine looked VERY healthy, the color was very nice, there were no crystals, that Max's Coat is looking GREAT, she did a poop sample at that time too, which cheked out good (I dont know why she wanted to do that, because she wanted one I guess) She said that he is looking so healthy and vibrant, that the Perscription food is doing wonders for him.

ahhh... Then I told her that I never bought the Perscription food

I told her I kept him on the SAME food, that MY current kitties eat, that he CAME to me with this UTI, and that only difference is that now all my cats now eat canned in the AM

She studdered abit, then said. If that seems to be working for him, then that should be fine.

I told her, that He is energetic, RUNS around the house, playing with my other cats, & with toys etc. There is no longer any panting.

There's the Update on Max.

As for can I switch Vets? ... well... Kind Of. This Vet is a Banfield Vet, I purchased one of those Wellness Plans, where you pay $265 upfront & then all vet visits for the year are then free, all shots for the year are free, certian services are free for the first ones, then after that I get 15% off my services, etc.

I dont HAVE to go to THAT Banfield, I can go to any Banfield... I just may do that. I don't care for this lady, now that I'm done with this.

I'm just so happy that Max is fine & is now well adjusted and is doing GREAT!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute and sweet looking, looks pretty darn healthy to. I would try and find a Vet that you have confidence in thats so very important, Glad to see that he's doing good to

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable and I'm so glad he's feeling better.
I would have paid good money to see the look on that Vet's face when you told her you'd never purchased the prescription food...I'm sure it was priceless!

Reading things like that makes me glad that I have a Vet that our cats and I both like very much.