28 Pound Kitten

kamkam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All! I'm a newbie and Yes, I have a 6yo 28 pound Cat named Kitten. I know allot of people are going to freak when they read that. She has always been a healthy Kitty, Goes to the vet yearly. She has traveled the world with me. I got her in Hawaii and now we live in Europe. And like all Kitty Mom's out there I'm protective of her. I know she is fat, I know she needs to lose some weight. I've tried what the vet said "Science Diet DM" It didn't work. She has been on Eukanuba and Fancy Feast for years. With all the recalls lately I started doing reseach and found that they are not quality foods. I also just switched my dogs to Innova EVO and wanted to switch Kitten to the same but, Is that to much protein and fat for her? Is there a better brand for fattie Kitties? I love all my babies and want them happy and of course healthy.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

I adopted a big kitty too and have helped him to lose 14lbs (he was bigger than your kitty was when I got him).

First, you do need to work with your vet on this, kitties can get just as sick from dieting as from being obese. If you choose to change her food, tell your vet why, often they will respect that you have your cats best interests at heart. My first vet didn't agree, I found a vet who agreed that I had my cat's interests first and if I had researched it she would happily work with it. The vet also runs fat cat clinics for very cheap where she checks their health for signs of illnesses that can be brought on by dieting, if you can find one near by they are a great resource.

Ask your vet how many calories your cat should be getting to lose weight but still maintain her daily amount of nutrients. 300 calories worth of one food will include less nutrients than 300 cals of another food will.

Read the labels of foods and work out which one is best for you. Wet foods often help (I am not sure if you are feeding wet or dry), if your cat is being free fed, feed scheduled meals and do not give in to begging between meals.

Find time to play with her, like us they need exercise and indoor cats rarely get enough themselves without us playing with them and forcing them to move.

I fed Scully EVO dry while he was dieting, and it worked for us, and a high protein diet is recommended for cats, regardless of the thoughts of some pet food companies. We have moved on to another high protein food for various reasons but I would still recommend EVO to people.

There is more information here on dealing with an obese cat and their diet, and if you want to ask anything, feel free to PM me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Hi

I adopted a big kitty too and have helped him to lose 14lbs (he was bigger than your kitty was when I got him).

First, you do need to work with your vet on this, kitties can get just as sick from dieting as from being obese. If you choose to change her food, tell your vet why, often they will respect that you have your cats best interests at heart. My first vet didn't agree, I found a vet who agreed that I had my cat's interests first and if I had researched it she would happily work with it. The vet also runs fat cat clinics for very cheap where she checks their health for signs of illnesses that can be brought on by dieting, if you can find one near by they are a great resource.

Ask your vet how many calories your cat should be getting to lose weight but still maintain her daily amount of nutrients. 300 calories worth of one food will include less nutrients than 300 cals of another food will.

Read the labels of foods and work out which one is best for you. Wet foods often help (I am not sure if you are feeding wet or dry), if your cat is being free fed, feed scheduled meals and do not give in to begging between meals.

Find time to play with her, like us they need exercise and indoor cats rarely get enough themselves without us playing with them and forcing them to move.

I fed Scully EVO dry while he was dieting, and it worked for us, and a high protein diet is recommended for cats, regardless of the thoughts of some pet food companies. We have moved on to another high protein food for various reasons but I would still recommend EVO to people.

There is more information here on dealing with an obese cat and their diet, and if you want to ask anything, feel free to PM me.
I would like to add if you can give at least 50% wet food will also aid in SLOW but STEADY wt loss... What wt does the vet say your kitty should be/??