Chichi has blood in her urine

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up this morning to Chichi straining to use the litter box. She tried for a minute, then hopped down. There was nothing, not even a drop of pee. Then I looked around the box and there was a small amount of urine outside the box with blood in it

She is otherwise fine, eating and drinking. She does'nt seem to be in any pain. I will call the vet as soon as they open- got any advice for me?

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a UTI which can be very serious and very painfull for your baby. I would definitly get her to the vet as soon as possible.

Sending good health vibes your way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you

I hope it is just a UTI or urine crystals- something of that nature. Chichi is a senior kitty (19!) I hope it is something I can give antibiotics for or just change her diet.

The vet opens in about 10 minutes......

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had no idea Chichi is 19! (Tell her she looks pretty darn good for 19 years!)

that the vet visit goes well &
to you & Miss Chichi!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet-

Well, called as soon as they opened. They had to squeeze me in because Sat.'s are usually booked. Anyways, turns out my poor girl has a UTI
She is now on baytril for 10 days. I have to bring her in next week for her regular nail-trim, so that works out well. She can get her bladder checked out again

I am supposed to crush/break up the pills in her wet food to see if she eats it first. Hopefully, that will go smoothly! Chichi may be old, but she is still quite fiesty
and frankly, I don't want my fingers anywhere near her teeth

I also asked about changing her diet, but the vet said that is what usually brings on a UTI to begin with, so its best to leave be. She barely eats dry food anymore (never cared for it too much anyway) and she loves her wet stuff- so no problems there. So hopefully this is just a one time thing, and she is able to go just fine once the meds kick in

Natalie, Chichi says thank you very much

That was one of the first things out of the vets mouth- how pretty her coat was for her age. Thank you so much for your well wishes

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just sending some hope chichi is feeling better soon.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Just sending some hope chichi is feeling better soon.
Thank you!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW 19. Thats great!
I am wondering what the vet meant that changing diets brings on a UTI. HMM. Tha seemed like a strange statement to me. Anyhow, I would let the 19 year old kitty eat what she wants

Also, have they checked her lab work for an old lady? did they check her kidneys at all?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear your baby has seen the vet and is getting treated.

My Siamese, Susie, many years ago had the same thing. However, she was much more vocal about it.
She p'd in the bathroom sink and kept meowing for me to come. As soon as I saw the blood, she jumped down and went about her business. I figured she must have been smart enough to know I probably would never have seen it in the litter box.

Just have to add my compliments also on your beautiful girl. Apparently you are doing something well to keep her looking so good.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Glad to hear your baby has seen the vet and is getting treated.

My Siamese, Susie, many years ago had the same thing. However, she was much more vocal about it.
She p'd in the bathroom sink and kept meowing for me to come. As soon as I saw the blood, she jumped down and went about her business. I figured she must have been smart enough to know I probably would never have seen it in the litter box.

Just have to add my compliments also on your beautiful girl. Apparently you are doing something well to keep her looking so good.
Thank you! She has basically been a spoiled princess all her life, so if that is the secret to longevity, I suggest you get to pampering

Yeah, Chichi has never, I mean never covered her "stuff". Thats how I immediatly knew it was her. I'm glad Susie let you know, I don't think I would be able to see it in Murphy until he started straining. He is very good about his litter duties.

Originally Posted by Vettech

WOW 19. Thats great!
I am wondering what the vet meant that changing diets brings on a UTI. HMM. Tha seemed like a strange statement to me. Anyhow, I would let the 19 year old kitty eat what she wants

Also, have they checked her lab work for an old lady? did they check her kidneys at all?
Thanks

I think the vet meant that when a sudden/ drastic change in diet, could affect the urinary or digestive tract- which in turn could bring on poddy difficulties. Yes, that is what she said about her age as well, let her eat whatever she wants. She loves her wet food- begs all the time for it

We did'nt have time for a full examination. It was an emergency appt. and I was just glad to get in. Otherwise I would have had to take her somewhere she was'nt used to. That has been her vet for 19 years, and about the only ones who can deal with her temper

I have to bring her back next week for her regular nail trim, she will be checked over then

I have a little problem though, She definitely knows that pill is in her food
Even though I will have help, I seriously doubt I will be able to "pill her". She does'nt like treats, so those pill pockets won't work. Anyone got any tips on how to get her to take her pill? If I can't get a full one in her tonight, Ill have to call the vet tommorow and see if I can get a liquid form

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No tips on pilling, other than covering the pill in butter & keeping the claws away from your eyes!

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can ask your vet for a pill popper. I hate to describe it this way but it looks like a tampon applicator combined with a syringe. You put the pills in the back end, place in the plunger, place in the cats mouth and then push in the plunger to deliver the pills. I give Sassy treats right afterwards, so that the pills don't sit in her esophagus.

G

ghostuser

Does she like any people food? Chase devours his with cheese or lunch meat mashed around it.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice

Well..... I tried to give her a pill this morning. Even with help- Chichi was wrapped in a towel & a blanket and restrained while I tried to get the pill in her mouth
well, after her biting me about 10 times, we gave up. The pill was coated in butter and everything
As soon as I would get anywhere near her mouth, she would bite. She did'nt break the skin, but it still does'nt feel good.

I'll have to call the vet when they open this morning, and see if I can bring her in for an injection
Even if I was to get a liquid form of the meds, and syringe them to her- she is still going to bite the mess out of me

Update poddy wise:

Despite my failed attemps of medicating her, she has'nt had anymore poddy problems

Thank you all for caring, and being here for me

I will update as soon as I talk to the vet..or take her in

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, whever I can, I am to bring Chichi up for an injection that will last for 5 days. I am so relieved! This morning I was so frustrated/upset with the whole situation I started crying. Chichi is my honey, darling baby
I hate seeing her distressed. Especially when I was the one causing it, and getting no results.

Just a quick word of advice for new cat owners: Try to get your kitty used to you touching/ looking it over as soon as you can. That was my mistake with Chichi. I was very young when I got her. So aside from me feeding and petting her, she never got used to anyone touching her in sensitive places. I have to take her to the vet just for nail-trims because she won't even allow me to do that :-(
So please get your cat(s) used to you touching their feet, tummy, and opening their mouths and such. They may still put up a fight when it comes to medicating, but at least they will be used to you touching them in such a manner

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note on using Pill Pockets. I know you said you don't think they would work for you because she doesn't like treats. Mine won't eat the PPs by themselves either. But I put the pill inside, remove all excess so that there is only enough left to form a small ball and bury in their food. They gooble it up without even noticing. Making it small and round allows it to just slide down their throat.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea

I'll have to remember that in the future. I don't know if Chichi will fall for it, but Murphy sure would

On a side note: Poor Murphy has been bumming since Chichi got to go out in the cat carrier twice in the last few days. Goofy boy is so jealous! He thinks I took her out birdwatching or something- if he only knew her trips involved the vets office and needles he would quit begging to go
But I told him I would take him outside, and he is holding me to my word.