coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coaster cat construction project for summer '06

Problems:

1) window perches in very small rooms get in the way of using the room
2) cats scratch up the window woodwork

Solution: a removeable window perch. A window perch that mounts on the wall but can be removed when the space is needed. The platform and support brackets fit into slots on the wall plaque and are held in place with a cotterless pin. The platform partially covers the window woodwork, protecting it from scratches. Here's a picture of the completed window perch:

...and here Mellie checks it out:

Removing the perch is simple -- take out the locking pin and lift up:

Put the platform and brackets aside:

...leaving just the wall plaque which is a curious but handsome stained hardwood addition to the room.

Perhaps it's a set of tiny knick-knack shelves for elves?

Comments: it seems to work well enough, but I'm not happy with the appearance. It looks overbuilt -- "heavy" and "clunky" -- and by golly, it is. I hope to make two more, so I'll have to see if I can make it at least look lighter, if not actually lighter. It's pretty rugged. Most of it is made from red oak. If anybody has any comments about how I can improve the design and construction, have at it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Comments: it seems to work well enough, but I'm not happy with the appearance. It looks overbuilt -- "heavy" and "clunky" -- and by golly, it is. I hope to make two more, so I'll have to see if I can make it at least look lighter, if not actually lighter. It's pretty rugged. Most of it is made from red oak. If anybody has any comments about how I can improve the design and construction, have at it.
I LOVE that!!
I really, really do.

I don't think it looks clunky or bulky. It is well built and stable enough for even a heavy kitty to sit on. And I love how it detatches from the window leaving that great looking wook panel there. Very, very, very nice!

I wouldn't change a single thing.

And I would consider getting a patent on that design too. I've never seen anything like it and I'm sure it would sell well in pet stores or even online and perhaps even on the Shopping Channel! I'm really serious! You could make some money with this!

Seriously, print off a copy of these pictures, write yourself a letter about what it is and what you did to make it. Put it all in an envelope and run to the post office first thing tomorrow and send it to yourself via Registered Letter where you have to have a signature upon delivery. And then don't open it! That is proof that this is your concept and no one else's in the event someone tries to beat you to the punch by copying your great design.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ps whats that metal looking thing on the wall underneath the kitty perch??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the nice comments!! And that's a great idea about mailing myself a letter.
Yes, this one is in the spare bathroom. I got the idea because with the previous permanently wall-mounted perch I couldn't open the shower door all the way. (Shower is to the left.) I haven't been using this bathroom, so it wasn't a problem. But now I need to use it and I didn't want to take away the kitties' window perch.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Thanks for all the nice comments!! And that's a great idea about mailing myself a letter.
And don't forget to sign and date the letter inside
The post office will have a date stamp, but it's also good to have the contents dated too, just in case there is any question.