Sorry I keep asking Questions....

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Ok so mellow was wormed for tape worm, it says the medication was called Drontal we gave him 2 pills as directed last night, now I was wondering when we should notice a change in him, He seems to have not eaten much today, I think it could be because he doesnt like the food much, we switched it aweek ago and he was a bit picky with it tostart with, BUT he was clearing his bowl and meowing for more, Could he have not eaten much because the worm dosage is working or could he have lost his appitite from the shots he had, he had distemper and feline Lukemia yesterday to, and I read the side affects can include tieredness and decreased appitite. So basically could the worm pills work that fast?

Thing is he could be sulking too, yesterday both me and my husband where away from 7 in the morning, and when my husband got home at 3.30 an hour later he got shipped to the vets, then today we were both out by 7 and I was back at 330 he needed convincing to come off his bed, and when he did he snubbed me
I think he may be a bit angry that we left him, as these are the first times we have left him so long!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like kitty just had a rough day. vaccines can cause a kitty to be tired. As long as he is eating some, by tomorrow I waould assume he will be better. I am not familiar with cats getting ill or tired after deworming. Sounds more like the worms can get him down and the vaccines like I said can make him tired. What type of worms did he have?

Vet tech 12 years
Visit my page cathealthnurse.blogspot.com

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you treated the cat for fleas as well. Tapeworms come from fleas.
Kitty should be better by tomorrow. We tell people that their cats may be a bit sleepy after vaccines. Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Advantage from the vet, altho, I think we did manage to get rid of the fleas, this is a precaution because of the tape worm, he came with the fleas from the shelter (they were our free gift LOL) just inncase there are any stray ones left!

Thank you

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dontal does make them feel queasy...or it does my girls anyway. But it hardly ever lasts longer than day or so. It usually take 24 to 48 hours for the meds to work. I'm sure he'll be back to his normal self by tomorrow.

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

Tape worms.

He is talking a bit to me now, (we have conversations in cat, he meows I meow
) LOL
My cat Sassy and I do that all the time. She loves to talk to Grandma on the phone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update, Mellow his fully back to himself he woke us up this morning meowing He finished the food that he hardly touched yesteray and has been drinking plenty
Thanks for your advice, because even tho the vet warns you of side effects, its nice to have the encouragement from the other users here. makes everything seem normal!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear normal is back at your house