GARRRR need help!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is our tv:

Stumpy keeps jumping up on the PC to the right of the tv, getting up behind the tv and jumping up onto the top of the tv. It's a flat screen and not terribly stable. Not only that, but then she tries to get up onto the mantlepiece which can't hold much weight (it's already at about its limit).

She's going to bring down the mantlepiece and/or tv if she keeps doing it.

There's double sided tape all around the back of the tv, and if she can't get up that way she jumps up from the ground to the top of the tv.

And she's had a couple of laser pointer sessions today as well as a big walk outside, she's had plenty of playtime.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you keep her off the computer she won't jump up on the TV. Can you put it somewhere else? If you need it there, a couple things to try: make a peaked "roof" out of cardboard to put on the computer so she doesn't have a flat surface to land on; put some aluminum foil on top of the computer; put some carpet runner with the sticky points up on top of the computer. I don't suggest double-sided tape. That might be hard to get off.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This her out of the area. But you and hubby are going to have to find something sturdier before the baby gets mobile.

You can also check with some places that sell big screen tvs to see if they have brackets or straps that would help secure the tv.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I think if you keep her off the computer she won't jump up on the TV. Can you put it somewhere else? If you need it there, a couple things to try: make a peaked "roof" out of cardboard to put on the computer so she doesn't have a flat surface to land on; put some aluminum foil on top of the computer; put some carpet runner with the sticky points up on top of the computer. I don't suggest double-sided tape. That might be hard to get off.
She jumps from the ground to the top of the tv as well, she just prefers to go from the computer because it's easier. As well as that, the computer has to stay there as it runs the Myth TV (which is like Tivo). We have double sided tape all over the house, and haven't had any problems yet

Originally Posted by katachtig

This her out of the area. But you and hubby are going to have to find something sturdier before the baby gets mobile.

You can also check with some places that sell big screen tvs to see if they have brackets or straps that would help secure the tv.
Yes we will have to make it more sturdy when the baby comes... If I secure the tv, it won't stop her from jumping onto the mantlepiece - if they fall down, it's going to cause major damage to the walls.

Have you tried the Stay Away stuff? Do you know if it works?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've used the ssscat to keep the cats off the counters. (Though hubby tended to set them off as well
) . You may want to put it on the floor so she stops going to the area. The batteries to need to be fresh and sometimes it seems there is a delay, but overall, they worked when nothing else did.

I do have an extra one that I could send you to see if it works. (I think I still have your address somewhere)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've used the ssscat to keep the cats off the counters. (Though hubby tended to set them off as well
) . You may want to put it on the floor so she stops going to the area. The batteries to need to be fresh and sometimes it seems there is a delay, but overall, they worked when nothing else did.

I do have an extra one that I could send you to see if it works. (I think I still have your address somewhere)
Thanks for the offer! I just got completely peeved with her and have decided to take her to the vet to talk about what drugs might calm her down - I think we need to get to the root cause, otherwise she'll just direct her boredom elsewhere... So we'll try that I think.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've used the ssscat to keep the cats off the counters. (Though hubby tended to set them off as well) .
That's the main problem with ssscat is that it's set off by anything with a warm body, so if the place you want to deter a cat is also a place you want to use, it's not practical.